PDA

View Full Version : Post all your cries whines, objections, complaints here

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18

NUProf
03-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Can you regress it across other teams? Or is that what you did?

I didn't, the best analysis is going be a non-parametric one because of the outliers involved

93GreatLaker
03-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Perhaps Castleton is just in the wrong league? They are being labeled here as cheap thugs just because they lead the ECAC East in pen mins but in the bigger picture they are nowhere near the most penalized team in the country. They are not even in the top 10 most penalized. This year they were 12th, last year 26th, and the year before that 28th.

It is a style of play. They are a physical team, it does not mean they are dirty or undisciplined. They are being coached to be aggressive, to take advantage of their size, there is nothing wrong with that. It seems to be working for them as they were better than all of the other teams in the interlock but one. Fans from the East better get used to it, because this Castleton team won't be going away any time soon.

Adrian and Stevens Point have been much more penalized than Castleton over the last three years, I don't hear anyone whining about them. Seems to me this line of Castleton bashing is more personal, as in "we don't like you, you didn't deserve a bid, someone threw snow at me" than about what they are really like on the ice.

hockeyfan77
03-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Last game was a 4-3 loss to Babson, not sure what you are looking at and the shots were 26

Ah I was comparing your last game against Norwich.

MW4Bucky&SNC
03-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Those are some really nice looking quarterfinal matchups.

Derek Dunning
03-09-2011, 11:08 PM
Those are some really nice looking quarterfinal matchups.
As SNC SID already stated, this is probably the best looking set of quarterfinal matchups we've had in a long time.

Plattsburgh/Norwich, SNC/Hamline, Oswego/Bowdoin, Adrian/Elmira?

Are you ****** me?

Wish I could be at all four!

93GreatLaker
03-09-2011, 11:39 PM
As SNC SID already stated, this is probably the best looking set of quarterfinal matchups we've had in a long time.

Plattsburgh/Norwich, SNC/Hamline, Oswego/Bowdoin, Adrian/Elmira?

Are you ****** me?

Wish I could be at all four!

Some might say last year's was every bit as good. It had 6 of the 8 teams in this years with the exceptions being the most storied program in DIII (Middlebury) and a team that was the runner-up from the previous year (GAC).

Plattsburgh/Middlebury, SNC/GAC, Oswego/Bowdoin, Elmira/Norwich

I'd say we have had two great years in a row!

CSC Dad
03-10-2011, 12:41 AM
Never bashed CSC or said the were the reason the interlock died. I said that was the presumption with most of the teams that they play on the edge and teams didnt want to play them. If you can't handle the truth than you are just thin skinned and can't deal with reality. Other than that one incedent with CSC I have no problem with them. If the truth hurts dont read my post.

A review of CSC vs USM in the ECAC-East stats- in the 7 years that CSC has been in the league

CSC 21.3 PIM/avg
USM 20.8 PIM/avg

Since Alex Todd started coaching
CSC 20.3 PIM/avg
USM 20.0 PIM/avg

I don't see any significant difference in the numbers between the teams, yet I think everyone agrees that CSC was ill prepared for the first year of ECEC-East play. However that their first year seems to be remembered the most when talking about them.

CSC Dad
03-10-2011, 01:07 AM
Perhaps because it was an aberation, not a consistant thing. As far as "destroying the interlock", shouldn't you be asking NESCAC people that?

A referee has the ability to determine whether the penalty was the result of excess force or effort and therefore more dangerous and can make a penalty a major penalty. The ref called the facemask penalty as a 5 minute penalty due to the seriousness of the play. The penalties amased by the CSC player were all 2 minute penalties therefore were deem to be mistakes can be made at the speed of the game in the view of the game refs.

However ripping an opposing players helmet off his head is not something that "just happens" and can not in IMO be an aberration in any way. It puts the opposing player at great risk since once the helmet is off that player is more susceptible to head injuries. If both players took off their helmets, which is considered the proper protocol, if they choose to fight then things are equal and both players accept the extra risk.

Norwich fans felt that the CSC President should step in to rein in the accumulation of penalties and expressed that coaches (implying their coach) routinely disciplines players for inappropiate play, yet you call a serious situation that was totally in the control of the player an aberratrion.

As an interesting note - I do agree over the years that some CSC players should be reminded in someway (benched?) that they take stupid penalties, but that is something Coach Todd controls. He has done it on occasion but IMO should be more proactive. Time will tell - most coaches adjust thir coaching style as the years pass.

hockeyfan77
03-10-2011, 03:04 AM
A review of CSC vs USM in the ECAC-East stats- in the 7 years that CSC has been in the league

CSC 21.3 PIM/avg
USM 20.8 PIM/avg

Since Alex Todd started coaching
CSC 20.3 PIM/avg
USM 20.0 PIM/avg

I don't see any significant difference in the numbers between the teams, yet I think everyone agrees that CSC was ill prepared for the first year of ECEC-East play. However that their first year seems to be remembered the most when talking about them.

I remember them knocking USM out of the playoffs in OT in 06 or 07.... Not sure why you quoted my post on this, I am not bashing them...I cannot control what other teams think of them....

03-10-2011, 07:40 AM
Perhaps Castleton is just in the wrong league? They are being labeled here as cheap thugs just because they lead the ECAC East in pen mins but in the bigger picture they are nowhere near the most penalized team in the country. They are not even in the top 10 most penalized. This year they were 12th, last year 26th, and the year before that 28th.

It is a style of play. They are a physical team, it does not mean they are dirty or undisciplined. They are being coached to be aggressive, to take advantage of their size, there is nothing wrong with that. It seems to be working for them as they were better than all of the other teams in the interlock but one. Fans from the East better get used to it, because this Castleton team won't be going away any time soon.

Adrian and Stevens Point have been much more penalized than Castleton over the last three years, I don't hear anyone whining about them. Seems to me this line of Castleton bashing is more personal, as in "we don't like you, you didn't deserve a bid, someone threw snow at me" than about what they are really like on the ice.

Thanks for saying that and I hope my posts have not come out as personal attacks, but just wanted to get across what you have said. I did see some posts from last nights game heaping praise on Neumann about how hard they play and the way they finish checks etc.. and yet they have 2 players DQ'd and you start hearing "things like I didn't think CSC was still playing", unfair to the program but like always on here people want to pick and choose how they want to apply the digs they have on teams

altazo
03-10-2011, 08:08 AM
Who has the most posts in the whiners thread? That stat could be even more telling than anything that the selection committee looked at...

jpucks
03-10-2011, 10:04 AM
RE: Castleton - Teams from the ECAC East don't get much respect. New England College was ranked fifth in the end-of-the-season poll in 2006 and didn't get a bid. In the EE, you win the league tournament or you go home.

CSC Dad
03-10-2011, 03:46 PM
I remember them knocking USM out of the playoffs in OT in 06 or 07.... Not sure why you quoted my post on this, I am not bashing them...I cannot control what other teams think of them....

That was my only visit to Gorham. Great game just too bad your students were on break - the home team atmosphere was lacking. Thought Castleton had it won in regulation as I saw space between the stick and the crossbar from my seat, but that is not the way the refs saw it (it was my son's stick too). It was a tough way to end a season for USM. We saw that as NEC scored the GW goal the next weekend on a centering pass from corner behind the goal line that went off a CSC players skate in front. There was nothing the goalie could do.

I used your quote mainly just so that you would see it. I feel that your experience in Rutland has tempered your view of the Spartans, but the rink is under different management and do not think that type of action will be tolerated. Even factoring in their first year which I hear the team was not ready for the jump to the league, the penalty situation between USM and CSC is virtually even yet on various posts you are willing to chime in when people question Castleton's style of play.

I remember a few years ago it was all Neumann and Manhattanville, but they are now accepted and their programs no longer get the snide comments from the D3 establishment. Castleton will get to that point, however it will take longer because they are in Vermont and there are a couple of teams in that state that seem want to keep them in their place so to speak. I seem to recall 4th team in Vermont as being in the top five many times in penalties, but they are ignored since they are not a threat to the status quo.

d3follower
03-10-2011, 04:02 PM
. . .
I remember a few years ago it was all Neumann and Manhattanville, but they are now accepted and their programs no longer get the snide comments from the D3 establishment. Castleton will get to that point, however it will take longer because they are in Vermont and there are a couple of teams in that state that seem want to keep them in their place so to speak. I seem to recall 4th team in Vermont as being in the top five many times in penalties, but they are ignored since they are not a threat to the status quo.

Not to worry - We Bowdoin fans think that Castleton is a bunch of choirboys compared to Neumann after what we witnessed last night!!!

03-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Not to worry - We Bowdoin fans think that Castleton is a bunch of choirboys compared to Neumann after what we witnessed last night!!!

A friend played for Bowdoin tha last few years, Brian Fry.......BY the way your goalie was fantastic last night!!!!!

thatswhatshesaid
03-10-2011, 05:07 PM
That was my only visit to Gorham. Great game just too bad your students were on break - the home team atmosphere was lacking. Thought Castleton had it won in regulation as I saw space between the stick and the crossbar from my seat, but that is not the way the refs saw it (it was my son's stick too). It was a tough way to end a season for USM. We saw that as NEC scored the GW goal the next weekend on a centering pass from corner behind the goal line that went off a CSC players skate in front. There was nothing the goalie could do.

I used your quote mainly just so that you would see it. I feel that your experience in Rutland has tempered your view of the Spartans, but the rink is under different management and do not think that type of action will be tolerated. Even factoring in their first year which I hear the team was not ready for the jump to the league, the penalty situation between USM and CSC is virtually even yet on various posts you are willing to chime in when people question Castleton's style of play.

GREAT POST. CSC haters are uneducated who wouldn't know what good hockey is if it came up and cross checked them. Really all they did is talk about CSC teams from the past like it was the current team and they really don't want new up and coming teams to disturb the status quo as you stated. That's why I hate Middlebury and Norwich so much. After reading that RIT post about the RIT D3 teams from the past I feel as though these uscho forum posters just want to take their frustrations out on someone. unfortunately CSC seems to be an easy target.

Some schools in D3 sit atop their ivory towers and don't want the little guys making any noise. The problem is these ******** uscho posters bash a team, and everyone listens and starts following along without watching the team for themselves. I believe you do have to earn respect and while CSC may have had a rough start to their D3 career they have made it a long way. College is unique in the fact that the teams are ever changing because players graudate, coaches change, new recruits come in. Fans don't see things that they. They think if a team played nasty against their team 6 years ago, that team always plays that way and that program is on their ****list forever.

To all of you CSC haters(pretty much everyone minus the CSC fans and a few mature NU fans) try watching a game before you speak. As you noticed I didn't mention anything about CSC not getting into the playoffs this year, I think they deserved to be in but CSC isn't the first snub in the history of D3 hockey and they won't be the last. Hopefully we make a good run at it next year. See everyone next year. Goodluck to Hamline, Adrian, Elmira, and Bowdoin, please knock those snobs off their pirch.

NUProf
03-10-2011, 05:27 PM
To all of you CSC haters(pretty much everyone minus the CSC fans and a few mature NU fans) try watching a game before you speak. As you noticed I didn't mention anything about CSC not getting into the playoffs this year, I think they deserved to be in but CSC isn't the first snub in the history of D3 hockey and they won't be the last. Hopefully we make a good run at it next year. See everyone next year. Goodluck to Hamline, Adrian, Elmira, and Bowdoin, please knock those snobs off their pirch.

Get the chip off your shoulder. The point I am making is that Castleton and USM, too for that matter, hurt themselves by taking so many PIM. Castleton's median PIM is 18 per game, which is a lot of penalty time. I, for one, am glad to see another quality program in VT - especially with the interlock broken up, and the twice a year schedule, it is important for the league to have as many top quality programs as possible. That is the only way to be able to have a chance at a Pool C bid. That's how the NCHA got UWS in - by having the league as a whole be successful in NC play.

snc1
03-10-2011, 06:50 PM
get the chip off your shoulder. The point i am making is that castleton and usm, too for that matter, hurt themselves by taking so many pim. Castleton's median pim is 18 per game, which is a lot of penalty time. I, for one, am glad to see another quality program in vt - especially with the interlock broken up, and the twice a year schedule, it is important for the league to have as many top quality programs as possible. That is the only way to be able to have a chance at a pool c bid. That's how the ncha got uws in - by having the league as a whole be successful in nc play.

get your conf. Aq and there won't be a problem!!!

NUProf
03-10-2011, 07:11 PM
get your conf. Aq and there won't be a problem!!!

Works for me - Pool C is for "lucky losers"

joecct
03-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Works for me - Pool C is for "lucky losers"One slot next year may not be.

But imagine if ALL the NCAA tournaments were conference champion only. I dare say that those post season tournaments would be lot more exciting if they were lose and done.