Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quality of Hockey at D1 Programs and Tanking US Economy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality of Hockey at D1 Programs and Tanking US Economy...

With the NCAA making Quarter Final match up decisions that appear to be influenced by finances the timing might be right to ask a question that I've been thinking about lately, namely...will the quality of hockey at D1 programs suffer, (or maybe more accurately how badly will it suffer), when scholarship funds shrink when the US economy (with all others) exits the eye of the hurricane and hits the back wall?

With less scholarship money available more players from Canada, Europe and even from out of city or state in the US might be forced to stay home.

For Canadian players the preceding question could be argued as potentially being a moot point if the C$ keeps appreciating against the US$, however that argument would assume that the Canadian Government doesn't slam on the brakes and eventually attempt to manipulate the situation (which would be a dangerous assumption to make).

It's a viscious circle...downward...less scholarship money...more parents feeling the squeeze and not being able to pay for or make up the difference and possibly many potential student/athletes (as well as students who are not athletes) not wanting to enter the big debt game to get a university degree if they can't feel confident about employment afterwards to enable them to eventually pay off the big debt...which leads to lower enrollment numbers which brings us back to point #1...less scholarship money available...regardless of how the financial deck is ultimately shuffled at each university.

I don't mean to be a downer but neither is it ever a good idea to bury your head in the sand.

Any thoughts?

Re: Quality of Hockey at D1 Programs and Tanking US Economy...

My g parents purchased a 'cottage' in Canada in 1926. On an island. Most of the islands,of which there were many, initially remained vacant. Over time the islands have been occupied (for summer use only.) Now there are very few available and prices have greatly risen. The area has somewhat become gentrified. Always, at first, there was American ownership. Fairly exclusively. And the local town where they (we now) went to shop struggled. The gentry, if you will, on the islands hired locally, people to work on thier property, run the boats, work in the kitchen, etc. Gradually this has changed, More now Canadian ownership. I see the 'tide' turning. And this was especially so last summer. The local Canadian economy, by all estimates, vis a vis the US, is literally booming. Perhaps we will see this trend continue. And more and more Canadian hockey players stay home for college, in their own country for an education and to play sports such as women's ice hockey.

Comment

I don't think D1 hockey will suffer.... That said, the Europeans can stay in Europe. The best players can be found right here. Like really, the players that don't make the USA National team could play for the European teams and make for a much more competitive world championships. Look how well UMD did WITHOUT their Olympians last year.... Yup, just don't get.

Comment

There were a LOT of teams that did well without their Olympians. Wisconsin being the exception. Lastly, we weren't missing ALL of our Olympians. The Finns don't centralize and we had them most of the season. And I truly believe, as do a lot of people in this conference, that UMD's success in the last half and post season can put a lot of weight in the fact that Laroque came back after being the last one cut from Team Canada. But apparently you only discriminate against the Euro's and not Canadians? Weak.

Rugrats- the root word of "University" is universe. A university is a place of diversity and quite often international students. Your argument is old, tired, ignorant, and nothing short of being a hillbilly. You can pick on UMD all you want but were they're not an exclusive club, they probably just did it first. Check your rosters. And consider taking a trip to a foreign country to get out from your hole. You might learn something.

(I realize that this is deviation from the thread topic, but that international argument needs to be put to bed.)

Comment

Originally posted by skatefast View Post
          But apparently you only discriminate against the Euro's and not Canadians? Weak.
          I suggest you read my original post again...you either misread it or misunderstood it.

Comment

Coaches should pick the players that they think will impact their team the most... whether they be Canadian, American, or European or maybe even another nationality (maybe some players from China in the next couple decades?). I don't think that scholarship funds will be cut but even if they do so what? They will still go to the players that coaches want on their team the most. Don't forget that some of the most expensive schools don't even offer scholarships, so I don't think it will have much affect on the overall talent.

Oh and if anything, the strength of the Canadian economy will probably just drive more Canadians to play hockey in the NCAA since it will be less expensive for them..

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
              I suggest you read my original post again...you either misread it or misunderstood it.
              Blackbeard- apologies for the confusion, I should have quoted Rugrats in my response as I was reacting to his/ her commentary on non-US players. It was a deviation from the topic a bit too, I realize.

Comment

But apparently you only discriminate against the Euro's and not Canadians? Weak.

Rugrats- the root word of "University" is universe. A university is a place of diversity and quite often international students. Your argument is old, tired, ignorant, and nothing short of being a hillbilly. You can pick on UMD all you want but were they're not an exclusive club, they probably just did it first. Check your rosters. And consider taking a trip to a foreign country to get out from your hole. You might learn something.
                Holy Smokes skateslow! Chillax... Obviosly a touchy subject with you. I don't discrimiante against the Canucks coming down because they invented the game.

Anyway, to stay on with the thread topic.... Hockey has become a game for the affluent and the cost to play the game is only getting worse, so scholarships or not, people will continue to pay.

Hillbilly.... I like that, I think I will change my handle.

Cheers everyone and enjoy the game in Madison this weekend.... Team USA (Wisconsin) vs the European Bulldawgz (UMD)!!!

USA, USA, USA, USA
                Last edited by rugrats; 03-09-2011, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rugrats View Post
                  Hockey has become a game for the affluent and the cost to play the game is only getting worse, so scholarships or not, people will continue to pay.
                  Not sure if I understand this, unless you meant that the affluent players/families will continue to pay, which is logical.

But the question was will the quality of hockey suffer or how badly will it suffer by virtue of the player pool, from which the programs recruit, having been reduced in size due to many who would otherwise be in that pool not being able to afford a university education without the benefit of partial or full scholarships that won't be as plentiful as they previously were?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                    ... without the benefit of partial or full scholarships that won't be as plentiful as they previously were?
                    Have any programs announced that they are reducing the number of scholarships that they offer for women's hockey? Or are you suggesting that such a reduction is inevitable if economic conditions don't improve?
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      Have any programs announced that they are reducing the number of scholarships that they offer for women's hockey? Or are you suggesting that such a reduction is inevitable if economic conditions don't improve?
                      As indicated in the original post, I'm suggeting that the worst is yet to come and that a consequence of that will be a reduction in scholarship money. However, I think only one person has addressed the question(s) that I posed and I'm not quite sure that I understood his/her response. Maybe I drilled too far down and hit a women's hockey fan nerve.

Comment

Working...
                      X