perverse incentives and NCAA pairings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• perverse incentives and NCAA pairings

This bracket is upsetting in many ways, but one clear problem that deserves NCAA attention is the perverse incentives created by the system of seeding only the top 4 teams and pairing the rest by geography.

If Wisconsin lost Saturday, likely the Gophers would have been the No. 4 seed and quarterfinal host. Given the obligation to pair UMD with Minnesota or Wisconsin, there's a good chance the NCAA may have chosen to pair UMD with Minnesota instead. The bracket would have likely been

Dartmouth @ Wisconsin
    UMD @ Minnesota

BC @ BU
    Mercyhurst @ Cornell

Wisconsin has clearly been punished with a superior opponent for winning its conference championship. Do we want teams to strategically throw games next year?

Re: perverse incentives and NCAA pairings

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
    Wisconsin has clearly been punished with a superior opponent for winning its conference championship. Do we want teams to strategically throw games next year?
    Not teams in general, but any time Wisconsin plays Minnesota, I think that the Badgers should lose the game just to be on the safe side.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
      Nope...Losing on purpose always comes back to hound you. Fiver would call it Hockey Voodoo.....Besides, who in his right mind would want to lose a league final on purpose.....One bird in the hand is better then none at all.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
        Nope...Losing on purpose always comes back to hound you. Fiver would call it Hockey Voodoo.....Besides, who in his right mind would want to lose a league final on purpose.....One bird in the hand is better then none at all.
        I totally agree that no self-respecting coach and team would ever want to purposely lose a league final. HOWEVER, I can see where a team may not have quite the same incentive to win knowing that a loss couldn't hurt - and may possibly even help - in terms of which team they would play in the NCAA quarterfinal. Just a slight loss of a will to win could have an impact.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Agree-do not want to dis-incentivise...

(Spell check didn't even pause or waiver..."The spelling check is complete", she immediately advised. Spelled it with an 'e' after third 'i' and she also let her pass w/o comment.)

Cop out...

Comment

Working...
          X