NCAA Quarterfinals: Dartmouth at #2 Cornell, 3/12 at 2PM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Quarterfinals: Dartmouth at #2 Cornell, 3/12 at 2PM

Dartmouth worked hard to get here, earn this honor. Maybe their goal remains the same-to surprise a few folks.

Ivy League web site says game at noon. ECAC says game at 2 PM. Cornell athletics web site says, TBA. Anyone KNOW?
    Last edited by papulaisle; 03-06-2011, 09:13 PM.

Re: NCAA Quarterfinals: Dartmouth at #2 Cornell, 3/12 at 2PM

Originally posted by papulaisle View Post
    Dartmouth worked hard to get here, earn this honor. Maybe their goal remains the same-to surprise a few folks.

Ivy League web site says game at noon. ECAC says game at 2 PM. Cornell athletics web site says, TBA. Anyone KNOW?
    The Cornell site has the game listed as 2pm:
    http://cornellbigred.com/news/2011/3...306110842.aspx

Comment

I think the questionable bracket decisions worked out in Dartmouth's favor. They would have been hard pressed to beat Wisconsin but since they've already proved that they can beat Cornell, they still have a good chance to make the Frozen Four. The odds may be against it, but it is definitely a possibility. Good luck to them.

Comment

Agreed. No one can predict the future. It is always available to those ready for it though.

Must say here I may be too 'too' but I took objection to an article in the Ithaca Journal spotlighting, initially, Katie Horner, Dartmouth's Captain in an emotional moment after the ECAC Tourney loss by the Green.

Article Commencing, "Off the Crossbar..." goes on to 'laud' the 'Big Red' and their play in beating Dartmouth and further, high lights post season honors coming to many Cornell players.

My comment:
        "Pathetic, frankly. Your reporter 'acts' initially as if he/she is sympathetic to Dartmouth's Captain. Then goes on to say how 'Big Red' basically took the Green apart. Further, shares the post season honors so many players from the Ithaca team are garnering. I feel for Katie- you used her. YUCK! Is dis-gusting. Poor taste. If Dartmouth didn't previous to your article have anything to play for, I would surely think they do now!

Jack Patterson"

I'm not good at getting web site addresses, etc. But it is ithacajournal.com and article is in sports and starts, "Off the Crossbar..."
        Last edited by papulaisle; 03-09-2011, 09:02 PM.

Comment

If Dartmouth didn't previous to your article have anything to play for, I would surely think they do now!
          I would hope that any D-I athlete has greater incentive in playing for an NCAA title than any motivation revolving around a media story.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

http://www.theithacajournal.com/arti...men-s-rematch#

I really don't see the problem. It's a notebook column, a hodgepodge of observations that don't make a full story. The article was sympathetic, complimented the Green team and suggested they'll be eager to take advantage.of the return trip.

Comment

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
              http://www.theithacajournal.com/arti...men-s-rematch#

I really don't see the problem. It's a notebook column, a hodgepodge of observations that don't make a full story. The article was sympathetic, complimented the Green team and suggested they'll be eager to take advantage.of the return trip.
              I agree. I think papulaisle's comments are way overblown. Cornell did dominate Dartmouth last weekend and deserved to win. There is nothing in the article that suggests that Dartmouth is a lousy team. Cornell has a deep and talented team and the author was merely pointing out the individual and team merits of the Big Red. Let it go.

Comment

Agreed. No one can predict the future. It is always available to those ready for it though.

Must say here I may be too 'too' but I took objection to an article in the Ithaca Journal spotlighting, initially, Katie Horner, Dartmouth's Captain in an emotional moment after the ECAC Tourney loss by the Green.

Article Commencing, "Off the Crossbar..." goes on to 'laud' the 'Big Red' and their play in beating Dartmouth and further, high lights post season honors coming to many Cornell players.

My comment:
                "Pathetic, frankly. Your reporter 'acts' initially as if he/she is sympathetic to Dartmouth's Captain. Then goes on to say how 'Big Red' basically took the Green apart. Further, shares the post season honors so many players from the Ithaca team are garnering. I feel for Katie- you used her. YUCK! Is dis-gusting. Poor taste. If Dartmouth didn't previous to your article have anything to play for, I would surely think they do now!

Jack Patterson"

I'm not good at getting web site addresses, etc. But it is ithacajournal.com and article is in sports and starts, "Off the Crossbar..."
                (tip-toes away quietly)...

Comment

NCAA Quarterfinals: Dartmouth at #2 Cornell, 3/12 at 2PM

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  I would hope that any D-I athlete has greater incentive in playing for an NCAA title than any motivation revolving around a media story.
                  Whoa! Not so fast. If there is an atmosphere in Ithaca, including the institution-that is reflected in this article, by the words and attitude of this reporter, in it's seeming disregard for the other fellow/gal-team, for their opponents as people and their right to not be used (seemingly as merely additional examples of the Big Red's awesome power, singular excellence this annum) IMHO, it bears.

I am not persuaded.

Comment

If there is an atmosphere in Ithaca, including the institution-that is reflected in this article, by the words and attitude of this reporter, in it's seeming disregard for the other fellow/gal-team, for their opponents as people and their right to not be used (seemingly as merely additional examples of the Big Red's awesome power, singular excellence this annum) IMHO, it bears.
                    Saturday's meeting with a Frozen Four berth on the line could be a matchup of two razor-sharp teams.
                    One of the the most overused angles in sports is the "lack of respect" card. In this case, I think you've decided to play it even though you don't hold one in your hand. But fine, we can agree to disagree, and you can go rally your "disregarded" troops.

Comment

Get more than 14 shots on goal and actually score on Saturday and then maybe Dartmouth will get more "respect" from the local Ithaca media.

Comment

"...one had to be a fool or a fanatic in early January 1776 to advocate American independence," said historian Bernard Bailyn as quoted by Ron Chernow in his new, "Washington: a life." Maybe our forefathers also wanted to surprise a few folks.

Go Green Go!

Comment

Both of you (ARM and dave1381) choose to NOT respond to the issue. It isn't, of course, respect as you harp on-is common courtesy, unbiased reporting, lack of chicanery...and some 'boosterism', maybe.

You both are fine examples of such herein (in these pages); otherwise, wherefore (art thou)?

That was a good turn of phrase, ARM-a card, "you don't hold...in your hand." It is here we disagree. I will re read the article (have already read it many times...)
                          Last edited by papulaisle; 03-10-2011, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Both of you (ARM and dave1381) choose to NOT respond to the issue. It isn't, of course, respect as you harp on-is common courtesy, unbiased reporting, lack of chicanery...and some 'boosterism', maybe.
                            Either I'm reading the article and getting a different meaning than you are, or I'm just plain not understanding you. I don't think Horner comes off badly in the story. I've seen a lot of kids do the postgame media thing after a heartbreaking loss, and I almost always have more admiration for them than I do for the kids who just won. Every once in a while, you'll see a losing player who sits up front and nobody dares ask them a question because they look like they may totally break down if forced to speak. Mostly, they show just as much poise and composure behind a microphone as they did on the ice and you get a glimpse of their true character. I don't feel that Horner suffered in the telling at all. The unfortunate part is not that the author used her quotes, it's the ritual that requires the kids to talk to the media at all when they'd rather just console their teammates.

Comment

I've seen many instances of classless, biased reporting coming out of newspapers, typically college ones. That was not one of them. I thought the author was honoring your captain.

Comment

Working...
                              X