Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCAA Quarterfinals: UMD at #1 Wisconsin, 3/12 at 7 p.m.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Quarterfinals: UMD at #1 Wisconsin, 3/12 at 7 p.m.

Not much new to talk about with this match-up since the two teams have already played each other four times this year. So it's a case of "here we go again" next weekend.

Re: NCAA Quarterfinals: UMD at #1 Wisconsin, 3/12 at 7 p.m.

This thread could use some discussion, so bringing this over from the Wisconsin thread ...
    Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    Hopefully the gals aren't down about the matchup and go out there and stomp some dawgettes.

My thoughts are yes, they got screwed, but with only 8 teams in the tourney, there's really no easy draw, unless you are not in UW's bracket. Certainly the dawgettes and rodents are bummed they have to play UW again.

I really love the resiliancy the gals showed last Saturday, down 2 goals in the 3rd on the road playing a very good team, and coming back to win it. If they play their game, they will be fine. The "if" is small indeed.
    The problem as I see it for UW is that yes, they are playing better than UMD. The Badgers will probably win. But there is some percentage of time that UMD will win this pairing. If my counting on my fingers is correct, UW is an all-time best 11-2 in the NCAA tournament. Obviously, that's nearly invincible. One of those losses was to UMD (ironically, the other was to Dartmouth, but that detracts from my point, so I'll mention it no more. ) I think UMD is 15-4 in the tourney. Dartmouth is like 1-7. So even though Wisconsin is still the favorite, UMD has demonstrated an ability to win in this tournament to a greater extent than Dartmouth has.

This article on the UMD site contains this bit:
    The Bulldogs are 11-6-5 all-time in Madison ...
    So yeah, the Badgers are the favorite. They just aren't a prohibitive favorite.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

From this UMD fan's perspective:

Given that WI can score a lot of goals . . . UMD must:

1.) Prevent the large # of odd-woman rushes that they did against MN in the league semi.

2.) Have the best performance in goal as possible. I would let Santa try to do her thing (and it may be her last D-1 game so I think she deserves it.) OTOH, Harss has played very, very well too and UMD could change mid game if needed and probably not suffer much of a let down. Start Santa.

3.) If Irwin is out again, put Gillanders with Holmlov and Winberg and let Friddy play "D" again. They palyed quite well together earlier and seemed to be developing some chemistry. Gaillanders has a knack for the tip in . . . Friddy with Holmlov & Winberg didn't accomplish much against MN and I think Friddy performed very well in the D position once she adjusted to it.

4.) Capitalize on the PP and don't take any penalties!!! LOL!!!!!!!
      Last edited by binnyrus; 03-08-2011, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Go Bulldogs.

Much respeck to the Badgers.
        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

I expect a tough, tight game. I can't imagine anyone who would think differently. I was at the txgiving game where UW won 3-2 in ot and UW was down 2-0 til the 3rd, then rallied for the win.

The biggest ? for me is this: UW's goaltending is young and hasn't faced a game of this magnatude ever. How will UW's goaltending play in a pressure cooker? Who will get the start?

Too bad the atmosphere will be somewhat neutered since this is technically a neutral site. I for one will do my best to make sure the site isn't neutral.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I agree with the thought that it'll be a tight game. UMD could easily have had the sweep back in November if not for the late game heroics in the second game.

I think it's a lock that Rigsby will start. She's started every game in the playoffs so far and I don't know why that would change barring an injury. Yeah, there's not a lot of "big game" experience, but the same could have been said for Vetter back in '06 and things turned out pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
              I agree with the thought that it'll be a tight game. UMD could easily have had the sweep back in November if not for the late game heroics in the second game.

I think it's a lock that Rigsby will start. She's started every game in the playoffs so far and I don't know why that would change barring an injury. Yeah, there's not a lot of "big game" experience, but the same could have been said for Vetter back in '06 and things turned out pretty well.
              Can't discount Rigsby's international experience either.Playing in Gold Medal games counts for a big game in my book.
              "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

I totally agree and hope for a tight game. I think the biggest wild card will be Haley Irwin's availability which has been week to week. If she's playing and 100% she adds a dimension that no other UMD player can.

I'm 90% certain that I will be down for the game . . . and usually there's the UMD pep band to add to the atmosphere. I'm hoping they make the trip as well! Any chance I'll be able to bring in my hand held "SANTA" or "UMD" signs?? I'm in agreement with others that have said "Can the NCAA possibly sanitize these experiences more than they do now??" (Especially since we're usually in at least 50% vacant arenas!!) I have taken my Santa and UMD signs to all of the playoff and FFs that UMD has been in since 2001 . . . This year they were not allowed. Exactly the same sign. I can only shake my head. Even my little 11yo niece with her hand held "Bulldogs" sign was disappointed when she couldn't bring it in . . .

WI fans: If I can make it and IF I have my signs please stop by to introduce yourself to me and say hi!! I don't bite and I definitely don't bark . . . well, maybe a little but only when UMD scores!!! I've met several others from this forum over the years and would be happy to meet more.

Comment

Rigsby should be fine, I heard she looked good against Minny and that was a big stage, at Ridder with a highly motivate UM. As mentioned above she has her U18 experience to draw on as well and of course the best defense is a great offense.

Who will be in net for Duluth, Martin or Harss and the status on Irwin will be big factors. I am wondering in Miller just held them out last weekend to rest figuring that the NCAAs were the more important platform. Anyone have a clue?

Comment

Is anyone aware if its going to be broadcast on FSN or Big Ten or anything like that?

Comment

Originally posted by PTS34 View Post
                      Is anyone aware if its going to be broadcast on FSN or Big Ten or anything like that?
                      I am afraid this is one that has to be filed under unrealistic hopes.

But wouldn't it be nice?
                      Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                        I am afraid this is one that has to be filed under unrealistic hopes.

But wouldn't it be nice?
                        This just doesn't make a lot of sense to be though. Early in the season they broadcasted the UMD vs. UND series and more recently Minnesota @ Wisco and UND vs. Minnesota ( I think that both w/ UND were on FSN and Minny/Wisco was on Big Ten). Why would they broadcast those regular season games and not the NCAA quarters? Also why broadcast the ECAC finals and not the WCHA finals? The top WCHA teams are definetly a little bit faster than the top ECAC teams (not saying when Cornell plays a good WCHA team that they won't play at the same speed, but the game is just a bit slower between ECAC teams IMO) and although theres not much of a difference in person... on TV its pretty huge. WCHA games (again on TV) tend to be pretty significantly faster pace and thus it seems more logically to put there games on TV if your going to put any at all. /rant

Anyway, I'll I'm really saying is that don't show the regular season if your not going to play the playoffs because people are going to expect it.

Comment

Why would they broadcast those regular season games and not the NCAA quarters?
                          The games that were on the BTN were there because BTN owned the rights to broadcast; for the NCAA tournament, they don't own those rights. And because they won't make money off the product, no network wants to go out and buy the rights.

Anyway, I'll I'm really saying is that don't show the regular season if your not going to play the playoffs because people are going to expect it.
                          I'd rather get some regular season games televised than no games televised. First step is to get the NCAA championship game back on the air, then the semis, and go from there. It will be an uphill climb, but someday ...
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Prediction: Wisconsin's goals, shots, and shooting percentage will all exceed those of the Wisconsin men's basketball team's 3-pt shooting against Penn State tonight (2-of-21, .091)

Comment

There will be a FREE internet video feed if nothing else. Someone else axed about starting goalies. That would be Kim Martin. And I have no idea whether Haley Irwin made the trip with the team or not. She's been listed day-to-day this week.

Comment

Working...
                              X