Atlantic Hockey Podoffs...I Mean Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlantic Hockey Podoffs...I Mean Playoffs

I am sure that the western pod teams are more than happy to have played each other rather than drawing the likes of #12 AIC, #11 Sacred Heart, #10 Bentley or # 9 Army. Not sure how this was agreed to before the season started, but I am sure it had to do with travel expenses and fitting everyone equally into the schedule.

That being said...At least next week is reseeded...despite #7 UConn getting a home playoff series. Should be interesting.

Last nights games only prove that anything can happen in one game playoffs. The only team I see advancing that won on Saturday is Mercyhurst. Holy Cross is going to wear down Canisius with their discipline and goaltending. The other series is a talent show with the better talent winning.

Re: Atlantic Hockey Podoffs...I Mean Playoffs

UConn is # 6 playing MH #7.
    Niagara and RMU finished ahead of UConn and MH ... and yes now they are gone.

Comment

From what I read, the coachs all were against the playoff system. The ADs voted for that though in order to save money. I wonder if Niagara and Robert Morris's ADs are going to rethink their vote.
      2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
      2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
      2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
      2010 Frozen Four participant
      2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by Ref Hater View Post
        That being said...At least next week is reseeded...despite #7 UConn getting a home playoff series. Should be interesting.
        What do you mean DESPITE? First off, they finished #6. Secondly, they needed both Mercyhurst and Canisius (#7 and #8) to win in order to get that home series.

UConn getting their home series was as a result OF the field being reseeded, not an accident of the fact that they received the Eastern #2 bye.
        UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

What a terrible injustice.
          Yes Niagara finished 4th and should have had a bye ... they stll got creamed by the 8th place team ... at home.
          RMU was the 5th place team ... got creamed by the 7th place team ... at home.

AD's pay the bills ... no social justice in the private sector ... not even with public instiutions ... Winners win.
          The format is what it is ... winning solves your issues.

Comment

Originally posted by tarp View Post
            Winners win. The format is what it is ... winning solves your issues.
            Charlie Sheen approves of your post.
            2008-09 AHA Regular Season Pick 'em Champion
            2010 AHA Postseason Pick 'em Co-Champ

Comment

Niagara had a home game against the 8th seed. And got run out of their own building. RMU played the #7 seed at home...and got run out of their own building. For #6 UCONN to earn a home series, both Canisius and Mercyhurst had to win. Maybe RMU and Niagara should have focused more on winning than whining.

Comment

In all seriousness, that was one of the more bizzare nights of hockey I have seen. I can't remember a playoff round in any sport where every road team won, in blowouts. That was bizzarre. I'd also say that if teams were unfocused because of the format and the need to play, there is something wrong not with the foremat but with the coaching of those teams. If you are in the playoffs, at home, and you can't get your team up because they are whining about the playoff format, you really need to look inot another profession. It is the playoffs, for heaven sake.

Comment

For the record...I am not whining...I love the upsets and hope there are more. For all road teams to come in and win convincingly is a testament to their team and the one and done format. I don't expect anything like that in week 2 with the exception of Mercyhurst winning at UConn.

Like komey said, I think Niagara and RMU are rethinking their vote. I think it's a lot different for Colgate winning at RPI than for Mercyhurst as a #7 winning at Robert Morris and Canisius at #8 winning at Niagara while the four lower seeds played against each other. The point is, if you had a choice as Niagara and RMU, who would you rather play?

I'm only a fan...I don't have a say in the decision making of this pod system. My guess is changes are coming.

Comment

Ref hater,

I'm not so sure changes are coming right away. The current setup is a compromise between the folks who wanted a straight ranking system and those who wanted an East-West ranking. the former group are mostly newcomers while the latter are long term league members who have and I suspect will continue to be the biggest supporters of the "cost containment" philosophy. That Robert Morris and Niagara aren't happy is understandable, but hardly something tha tis going to earn the votes of AIC, Holy Cross, Bentley, Sacred Heart, even Canisius which has always been in favor of the principal. And over the years, Mercyhurst's administration has been, too despite their coach's feelings to the contrary.

Comment

Working...
                    X