Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML Offseason Begins

Originally posted by gochiefs View Post
    Any idea when the final schedule will be released?
    Seriously... Even basketball's is already out.

http://www.goriverhawks.com/sports/m...kbl-sched.html
    UMASS LOWELL RIVER HAWKS HOCKEY

Comment

The schedule is now up on the UML site.
      http://www.goriverhawks.com/sports/m...072611aac.html

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
        The schedule is now up on the UML site.
        http://www.goriverhawks.com/sports/m...072611aac.html
        Didn't realize that North Andover (Merrimack) left the state of Massachusetts and joined forces with the state of New Hampshire. (2/24/12)

Comment

Originally posted by pressbox View Post
          Didn't realize that North Andover (Merrimack) left the state of Massachusetts and joined forces with the state of New Hampshire. (2/24/12)
          Wait, we don't want them either!
          Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
          2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
          2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
          2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
          2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Maybe the game has been scheduled to be played at Proctor Academy
            - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

Ryan Blair has signed with the Cincinnati Cyclones (affiliated with the Panthers and the Predators) of the ECHL.
              Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
              2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
              2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
              2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
              2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

It's been a tough off season for Northeastern. It looks like they may lose another top recruit as John Gaudreau may not show up now. He would join Justin Kovacs (WMU) and Garrett Haar who both decommitted once Greg Cronin left. The Huskies also lost defenseman Jamie Oleksiak to the OHL after he was selected in the first round of the 2011 NHL draft, Gaudreau (4th Rd) and Haar (7th Rd) were also drafted. Don't forget Brodie Reid also turned pro after a solid freshman season. That's a lot of talent to replace; new coach Jim Madigan will have some work to do.

According to this article, the River Hawks have offered a scholarship to Haar for next season.

McPhee “said that Boston College was gonna to try to get some full ride [scholarship] for me for this fall. So if that happens, then I’ll be heading out to college,” said Haar, who received offers from Umass Lowell and Western Michigan for next season.

Comment

It's been a tough off season for Northeastern. It looks like they may lose another top recruit as John Gaudreau may not show up now. He would join Justin Kovacs (WMU) and Garrett Haar who both decommitted once Greg Cronin left. The Huskies also lost defenseman Jamie Oleksiak to the OHL after he was selected in the first round of the 2011 NHL draft, Gaudreau (4th Rd) and Haar (7th Rd) were also drafted. Don't forget Brodie Reid also turned pro after a solid freshman season. That's a lot of talent to replace; new coach Jim Madigan will have some work to do.

According to this article, the River Hawks have offered a scholarship to Haar for next season.
                  Had I know that I would have gotten up at 6:30 to get to the rink for the Caps rookie camp public scrimmage game w/ UML gear. Bah.
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Craig MacTavish to be named Head Coach of the AHL's Chicago Wolves, affiliate of the Canucks.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=372639

Comment

John Gaudreau's brother Matt has also rescinded his verbal commitment to attend Northeastern in 2013. The brother's are now checking out other Hockey East schools. Hopefully Lowell is being considered, although I doubt they have any room for this season. According to this article they will be visiting UVM this weekend and then UNH according to his twitter. https://***********/#!/johngaudreau03
                      Last edited by boblav1; 07-29-2011, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Looks like UML took notice and it's been fixed.

Really tough beginning to the conference slate, especially for a team loaded with sohpomores and a new coach:
                        At BC, BC, BU, 2 in Orono, and at UNH before hosting Amherst and UAH, then right back into the fire with UNH, at UNH and BC.

Brutal.

Hopefully they play well, pull off some upsets and keep a decent record, then hit the second semester firing on all cylinders and with some momentum to climb up the standings.
                        U.S. Naval Academy '06 - BS
                        UMass Lowell '12 - MBA

Comment

Originally posted by goUMLgoBC View Post

Really tough beginning to the conference slate, especially for a team loaded with sohpomores and a new coach:
                          At BC, BC, BU, 2 in Orono, and at UNH before hosting Amherst and UAH, then right back into the fire with UNH, at UNH and BC. Brutal. Hopefully they play well, pull off some upsets and keep a decent record, then hit the second semester firing on all cylinders and with some momentum to climb up the standings.
                          Now that's its 01 Aug, I can end my moratorium on board posting about the season as we are now only eight short weeks from the exhibition game.

There's no question that people who have follow this team for quite some time know that it most likely be a rough stretch of HE games to start the season. I can almost guarantee that some on this board may think that there is an excellent chance that Lowell goes 0-6 to start out the season. I'd have to say that's more than a fair and unfortunately, a realistic argument. Nine out of the first eleven are against the "Big Four" and only five of the those first eleven are at home. Going 2-8-1 during the stretch with that schedule wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing or cause to start a panic in my mind. In fact, anything better than four wins in that schedule is bonus territory. At the very least, by Nov. 15, the trips to Orono and Chestnut Hill will be done for the 2011-2012 season until hopefully playoff time.

However, to start the season, I'm especially interested in the outcomes of the first three non-conference games to set the table. I really didn't like the tempo set in the games last year in NY and we were very fortunate to come out of those two games with ties. I'd like to see us at 2-1 to start, because the first two home games in the Tsongas Arena will be under packed houses. Some will be curious to see Bazin's first games but moreso because it's BC/BU in successive weeks. Others have made the point that BC/BU have had histories starting off "slowly" so stealing a couple of points would be a fine way to the season.

The reward is the second half, 13 out of the remaining 16 aganist the rest of the league, including all three with PC, Merrimack, and UVM. The key to whether or not this team gets back into the playoffs this year is the outcome of that six-game homestand from 1/28 to 2/17. If they go 4-2 or better during that stretch, they are back in the playoffs. If they go 1-5, watch out.

As far as the non-conference schedule, I really hope that can go 5-1 or 4-2 with the teams they play. I'd love for them to take the Mankato series as revenge from last year but would be happy with a split. You have to close escrow on teams like Army, UConn, and Ala-HSV. Really looking forward to the trip to Mankato, to cross off another arena on the list. BTW, for those thinking about Mankato, airfare to MSP is down in the low to mid 200's, which is a good deal right now. There's a chance it could drop to around $200 round trip but that's about as low as it goes as MSP is not a cheap airport to fly into. While Mankato does have an airport capable of landing jets, it does not have commerical air service. MSP is the only option. Once that 21-day period comes into effect, the fares will skyrocket. The next four to six weeks are going to be the buy-time for airfare. Make sure that you budget a minimum of three hours from the hotel to Mankato, that's not a straightfoward drive from the airport to downtown and south-central Minnesota.
                          - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

I'd like to take this moment to briefly re-frame... I'm hoping we have a team that comes out with every intention to take every one of those games even if they don't have the ability to take any of them. But I suppose I always wish they'd put in their full effort. Certainly with our performance lately losing to UConn is more than plausible though it will **** me off to no end. Nevertheless, judge by effort.... where are we going, not where we've been.

----

The Mankato series is all of the sudden tempting. Is that your plan? Fly into and stay in Minneapolis then drive out to Mankato? Looks like 300 out of DCA.

I probably won't do it... fair bit of work to do and I want to use a string of vacation days at XMas for the UConn holiday tournament.

I'm hoping to have a car either before xmas or later in the season... I may find a way to slip to Lowell this season.
                            Last edited by Patman; 08-01-2011, 10:12 AM.
                            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                            Skating Friar Jersey
                            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Carter Hutton has signed the the Rockford Icehogs, AHL affiliate of the Blackhawks: http://www.icehogs.com/news/icehogs/...rticle_id=3017
                              Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                              "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                                Carter Hutton has signed the the Rockford Icehogs, AHL affiliate of the Blackhawks: http://www.icehogs.com/news/icehogs/...rticle_id=3017
                                Great news. With all the goaltending problems Chicago had after letting go of Niemi, maybe this is the right team for Carter.

You folks ready for some BBQ tomorrow?

Comment

Working...
                                X