Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML Offseason Begins

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
    Garrett Cole just pitched a complete game helping Lowell win 3-1 over Dowling, ending Dowling's season. Lowell now has to wait to see who they play tomorrow.
    UML's baseball season ended yesterday with a 3-0 loss to Franklin Pierce... the bats just fell silent in the end with no more than 3 runs in the last 8 games.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
      UML's baseball season ended yesterday with a 3-0 loss to Franklin Pierce... the bats just fell silent in the end with no more than 3 runs in the last 8 games.
      Yep, basically against the really good pitching (SCSU, Franklin Pierce) they coudn't hit. UML has four seniors this year including one of the aces in Dustin Ramey, but will almost surely also lose Leathersich to the MLB draft this offseason. They had four early signings to this class:
      Geoff Degroot IF Wesley Chapel, Fla./Wesley Chapel
      Jacob O'Keefe C Wellington, Fla./American Heritage
      Matt Mottola OF Newburyport, Mass./Newburyport
      Ryan Gendron IF Nashua, N.H./Nashua North

Degroot and O'Keefe were both Florida Region Honorable Mention by Perfect Game USA. The UML release about these four. All these guys actually signed during the early signing period, so I'm not sure if there are any others that will be joining them.
      Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
      2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
      2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Yep, basically against the really good pitching (SCSU, Franklin Pierce) they coudn't hit. UML has four seniors this year including one of the aces in Dustin Ramey, but will almost surely also lose Leathersich to the MLB draft this offseason. They had four early signings to this class:
        Geoff Degroot IF Wesley Chapel, Fla./Wesley Chapel
        Jacob O'Keefe C Wellington, Fla./American Heritage
        Matt Mottola OF Newburyport, Mass./Newburyport
        Ryan Gendron IF Nashua, N.H./Nashua North

Degroot and O'Keefe were both Florida Region Honorable Mention by Perfect Game USA. The UML release about these four. All these guys actually signed during the early signing period, so I'm not sure if there are any others that will be joining them.
        You seem to know way too much about this recruiting stuff Curious though... why would players like that go D-2 and at Lowell of all places? I assume that status means something.
        Last edited by Patman; 05-22-2011, 09:51 PM.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
          You seem to know way too much about this recruiting stuff Curious though... why would players like that go D-2 and at Lowell of all places? I assume that status means something.
          It's fun for me to keep track of who's coming into this school.

I can't speak for the kids, but maybe they like the thought of being a big part of something at a small university...? Obviously academics, coaching, etc go into their choice as well. I know Harring has a rep as a good recruiter, and he probably showed the kids that there was a chance for them to step in immediately, and with the pitching set up for next year, if they can get some bats...
          Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
          2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Not a total surprise, UNH Junior defenseman Blake Kessel turns pro.
            http://www.hockeyjournal.com/news/20...l_forgoing.php

Comment

More great news for UML.

Robert Manning and his wife, Donna, are making a multimillion-dollar commitment to the university that will invest more than $5 million in a new College of Management building and the newly named Robert Manning School of Business, as well as help fund the school's nursing program.
              http://www.lowellsun.com/todaysheadlines/ci_18127141

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                Not a total surprise, UNH Junior defenseman Blake Kessel turns pro.
                http://www.hockeyjournal.com/news/20...l_forgoing.php
                It doesn't say that he signed with Islanders, so I'm wondering if he will wait 30 days and see if he can sign on with another team. Jason Gregoire who just left North Dakota, also drafted by the Islanders was looking to do this, probably because he is from Winnipeg with their new team coming. Blake Wheeler is the only collegiate player I can think of who has done this (drafted by PHX and signed with the Bruins later).
                Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

Originally posted by umassfan49 View Post
                  It doesn't say that he signed with Islanders, so I'm wondering if he will wait 30 days and see if he can sign on with another team. Jason Gregoire who just left North Dakota, also drafted by the Islanders was looking to do this, probably because he is from Winnipeg with their new team coming. Blake Wheeler is the only collegiate player I can think of who has done this (drafted by PHX and signed with the Bruins later).
                  lets face it, does anybody really want to be in the employ of Charles Wang? Anyhoo... waiting for your draft rights to expire makes plenty of sense... 30 teams bidding for you instead of one.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Top College Players in the NHL...
                    Monty

Comment

Plenty of other names come to mind. TJ Oshie, Joe Pavelski, Phil Kessel, Thomas Vanek just to name a few.
                      Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

Originally posted by umassfan49 View Post
                        Plenty of other names come to mind. TJ Oshie, Joe Pavelski, Phil Kessel, Thomas Vanek just to name a few.
                        Did I miss a page on this list or did she forget about Brian Gionta?
                        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                          Did I miss a page on this list or did she forget about Brian Gionta?
                          I was thinking she was trying to limit it to one per school but St. Louis and Thomas are both there. If that was her intent, I would have picked Gionta over Orpik.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            I was thinking she was trying to limit it to one per school but St. Louis and Thomas are both there. If that was her intent, I would have picked Gionta over Orpik.
                            It looked like it was on a Bolts themed webpage... I wouldn't consider some person's list to be that big of a deal unless the writer is rather major.

edit: tough break for Roli... I'd have to think this his last real chance at the Cup as a player... have to wonder what-if in Edmonton... I'll take the win but I wish Roli had a better shot.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

HOLY CRAP- I was half watching (had other things to do to) and every time I looked up someone was passing to the other team or having a brain fart. I think I managed to see a few offensive flurries but not many. Every game I watched but one I kept wondering how they made it that far.

Watching that was like watching the game Lowell lost in the however many OTs when we were in the tournament. In that game, by the end it was Roli against the other team. I mentioned that in the 2nd period and Lil was not a happy camper.

Nice interview from Thomas after the game talking about how Roli was playing well.

Comment

This is a story from the St. Pete Times in today's paper: http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...ame-7s/1172328 I thought someone might be interested in reading.

Comment

Working...
                                X