X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UML Offseason Begins

Originally posted by jrobes01 View Post
    From this morning's Lowell Sun.....

Officials from the UMass Lowell athletic department met yesterday with hockey coach Blaise MacDonald to discuss his future with the team, according to sources.

MacDonald, a Billerica native who has coached the River Hawks for 10 years, has one year left on his contract.

UML was 5-25-4 overall this past season and finished last in Hockey East.

While no decision was reached yesterday, the university is expected to make an announcement about MacDonald's situation later this week.

Interesting to note.. The university has already canned one coach this week, Kathy O'Neil of the women's basketball team who had been with UML for over 25 years.
    So at least we'll know by the end of this week.

I hate anyone losing their job, I really do ... especially when you've got a family to support. And I really do like Coach MacDonald, especially as a person. But (you knew that was coming) ... it might be time to go off into a different direction. My only hope is that Lowell's got a plan here, have someone in mind for the job, don't just go into this blind. Hiring a new coach ASAP will help get your recruiting for the future started that much quicker.
    Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by jrobes01 View Post
      From this morning's Lowell Sun.....

Officials from the UMass Lowell athletic department met yesterday with hockey coach Blaise MacDonald to discuss his future with the team, according to sources.

MacDonald, a Billerica native who has coached the River Hawks for 10 years, has one year left on his contract.

UML was 5-25-4 overall this past season and finished last in Hockey East.

While no decision was reached yesterday, the university is expected to make an announcement about MacDonald's situation later this week.

Interesting to note.. The university has already canned one coach this week, Kathy O'Neil of the women's basketball team who had been with UML for over 25 years.
      Hmmm, the fact that the athletic department let it be known that there was such a meeting to discuss McDonald's future, tells me they are going to make a change. If they wanted to continue with him at the helm, why make his job harder with speculation that he might be fired?

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
        Hmmm, the fact that the athletic department let it be known that there was such a meeting to discuss McDonald's future, tells me they are going to make a change. If they wanted to continue with him at the helm, why make his job harder with speculation that he might be fired?
        To be fair, they'd said about a month ago that this meeting was going to take place (and that they have such a meeting with every coach at the end of their respective season).
        Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

I was just informed that there will be no radio show tonight. Let the speculation continue....
          Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
          "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
            I was just informed that there will be no radio show tonight. Let the speculation continue....
            Hmmm ... interesting.
            Monty

Comment

Think they already have a replacement lined up? Do they need to form a search committee for this type of thing??

Comment

Originally posted by HawksSk860 View Post
                Think they already have a replacement lined up? Do they need to form a search committee for this type of thing??
                I'd like to think that they have someone in mind, but yeah, I'm sure there'll be some committee set up.
                Monty

Comment

Originally posted by HawksSk860 View Post
                  Since it's a state job, it has to be publicly posted for 14 days before they can actually hire someone.
                  Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                  "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                    Hmmm ... interesting.
                    What a difference a day make in this town, huh?
                    - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

Any guesses on who they might bring in if Blaise goes? Craig MacTavish, anyone?
                      UMASS LOWELL RIVER HAWKS HOCKEY

Comment

Since it's a state job, it has to be publicly posted for 14 days before they can actually hire someone.
                        I'll need to get my resume together.

Comment

Originally posted by UML View Post
                          I'll need to get my resume together.
                          Hokydad has been polishing his for decades now, you don't have a chance.
                          Originally posted by Hokydad
                          Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

I know one thing -- in the hockey coaching world, being the head coach in the HEA (especially for a school thats marketing hockey the way it is) is a coveted gig. UML should have some quality candidates to consider.

Comment

you still have to go through the motions even if you have somebody in mind... I don't know if this would apply here, but i know that one of the Alaskan schools had a problem when a former D-1 coach put in for a job that the school tried to fill with a Canadian... I don't know if that could ever happen here... but those public job requirements and process still needs to occur.
                              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                              Skating Friar Jersey
                              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

There have been rumblings that a former Lowell Grad who is now coaching D3 could be the frontrunner.

Comment

Working...
                                X