UML Offseason Begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML Offseason Begins

I was hoping for Rolston or Bennett, but then again what do I know?

Comment

A new coach is good news. This, on the other hand, is just plain hurtful: http://www.goriverhawks.com/genrel/041911aae.html

Comment

Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post
        A new coach is good news. This, on the other hand, is just plain hurtful: http://www.goriverhawks.com/genrel/041911aae.html
        My ears haven't stopped bleeding...
        UMASS LOWELL RIVER HAWKS HOCKEY

Comment

Looks like he can get the job done...

Bazin was then hired as an assistant coach and chief recruiter at Colorado College in 2000. He spent nine years there, helping the Tigers win three WCHA titles and play in six NCAA Tournaments while the

team won more than 200 games during that stretch.
          During his tenure at CC, Bazin recruited and/or coached two Hobey Baker winners, 13 All-Americans, and 12 future NHL players.

Read more: http://www.lowellsun.com/sports/ci_1...#ixzz1Jz5dDKiw

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
            Looks like he can get the job done...
            I know he recruited at CC, but CC's been good for a while including before he was there.
            Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
            2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
            2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
            2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
            2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by jrobes01 View Post
              My ears haven't stopped bleeding...
              Oh my - we do have a College of Music right?

Hopefully none of the candidates heard these.

Comment

Of course hindsight is always 20-20 and it will be years before we learn if this is a good move or not.

For me personally, however, this is the 2nd best I've ever felt about a coaching move (at the time it happened) since the addition of Bruce Crowder as Billy Riley's Associate Head Coach. (The move I've felt best about of course being the release of Blaise from his contact.....)
                Lowell season ticket holder for (gulp) 27 years....

"Character is destiny" S. Freud

Comment

As I said a long time ago on this thread, you will be extremely pleased with this selection. Time will most definitely support this decision and the success on and off the ice will put smiles on your faces.

Congratulations.

Comment

The Norm Bazin Era has begun at Lowell. Let is be successful. Please.
                    Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Off topic: UMass to upgrade their football program to FBS, joining The Mid-American Conference (MAC). http://www.masslive.com/sports/index...conferenc.html

The decision to upgrade comes after more than 15 years of debate. UMass will be required to add 22 football scholarships, raising the program's total from 63 at the FCS level to 85.

A commensurate number of women's athletic athletic scholarships must also be added for the school to maintain its gender equity balance. In all, about 40 new scholarships will be needed.
                      I wonder if DI Women's hockey is in their plans.

Comment

[QUOTE=boblav1;5124123]Off topic: UMass to upgrade their football program to FBS, joining The Mid-American Conference (MAC). http://www.masslive.com/sports/index...conferenc.html

I wonder if Lowell is postponing the Bazin announcement to tomorrow for this.

Amherst football playing at Gillette will never work long-term. It seemed ok when they're doing it once a year and against UNH but there's no way the students are going to travel 2 hours for a "home" game against Kent State. Terrible waste of $$$.
                        UMASS LOWELL RIVER HAWKS HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                          Off topic: UMass to upgrade their football program to FBS, joining The Mid-American Conference (MAC). http://www.masslive.com/sports/index...conferenc.html
                          Wow... I mean I knew they were stupid, but that's pretty stupid... I thought UConn having the field 35 minutes off campus was a problem... 2 hours is a lifetime... especially if you are a student who'd rather be drinking... but this overreach was a while in coming.

They still believe that they can become UConn if they go full D1... education funding via institutional embarrassment/attention... that's generally what this is about... otherwise D-1A football makes absolutely no sense. The intent is to raise the profile by forcing things that do not work.

If I were UConn, i'd start advertising in the Springfield market... Hartford is much closer than Foxborough.... of course I've been saying UConn should be advertising in Worcester for awhile... anyhoo.

I have no comment on the new coach... wait and see. I know he's not a local (Manitoba) but I have to wonder if this implies that there is another guy out in the great world of hockey that'd go out on Route 3 in a sandwich board (as Blaise, more or less said he'd do to promote the program)... I think there was a series of good choices out there with no obvious winner.
                          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                          Skating Friar Jersey
                          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                            The Norm Bazin Era has begun at Lowell. Let is be successful. Please.
                            Agree here. Glad to see that the players know before the school year lets out and the recruits see a guy with a good background at CC and who's had success as a head coach. DI head coaching experience would be nice, but he seems like a stand-up guy who's obviously familiar with the program, both as a player and as a coach. Looking forward to reading the school's press release, whenever it comes out. Didn't realize that he got in such a terrible car accident while at CC. He's a real success story who will hopefully breathe some more life into the program that, with the rink and the increased student body, has some serious potential.

As for Amherst moving to DI-A in football, that's a bold move. It will be the AD's crowning achievement or the reason he gets fired. I always wondered how DI-AA programs made money. They give scholarships, travel, and have facilities costs, but they have next to no TV revenue (unless they go to Gainesville to get smoked by Florida or something like that) and get no bowl revenue. DI-A is obviously more expensive with more scholarships, more travel, and better facilities, but at least there's the potential for some TV, merchandise, and bowl revenue. What they need to do is schedule cupcakes out of the MAC and pray they make it above .500 and get into a bowl. I'm not sure how the MAC takes care of bowl payouts, but I think the lowest bowl payout is something like $500,000 or so (or at least it was a few years ago). Playing all the games in Foxborough is crazy, too, but hopefully for them, something closer to home is in the works.
                            U.S. Naval Academy '06 - BS
                            UMass Lowell '12 - MBA

Comment

Originally posted by goUMLgoBC View Post
                              Playing all the games in Foxborough is crazy, too, but hopefully for them, something closer to home is in the works.
                              I absolutely hate that they'll be playing at Gillette. I can't even begin to describe how much.
                              Monty

Comment

The American College Hockey Coaches Convention starts next week (April 28 -May 1) in Naples, Florida.

Comment

Working...
                                X