UML Offseason Begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML Offseason Begins

For the season ticket holders who replied to the survey what did you think of the email yesterday from Scott and Eric?

My biggest beef last season was people walking down the aisle during play. I sit in the last row and relayed my concerns but it seemed like there was a different usher/security person every game.

They are going to open up the Talon Club for everyone but season ticket holders will be able to enter 30 minutes before the general public. Interesting move but there is no way the school can compete with the Beer Works.
    Let's go Lowell.

Comment

Originally posted by Gainzo View Post
      For the season ticket holders who replied to the survey what did you think of the email yesterday from Scott and Eric?

My biggest beef last season was people walking down the aisle during play. I sit in the last row and relayed my concerns but it seemed like there was a different usher/security person every game.

They are going to open up the Talon Club for everyone but season ticket holders will be able to enter 30 minutes before the general public. Interesting move but there is no way the school can compete with the Beer Works.
      so, opening the rink 90 minutes before the game? That's pushing it. Unless you know people are really going to be there I don't see the point... or the point to boost people into a higher membership group?

edit: the beer works was the best thing they ever did after the Brewery (or whatever they want to call it now) went all screwy... if the university wants to play 2-ton gorilla on the area then they're not doing anybody any favors.
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
        so, opening the rink 90 minutes before the game? That's pushing it. Unless you know people are really going to be there I don't see the point... or the point to boost people into a higher membership group?

edit: the beer works was the best thing they ever did after the Brewery (or whatever they want to call it now) went all screwy... if the university wants to play 2-ton gorilla on the area then they're not doing anybody any favors.
        For people who want to beat the traffic and have kids (no beerworks for them) then it isn't a bad idea. I would have brought lil' when he was younger to simplify things.

Comment

UML Baseball ended a three game losing streak in style with a 6-1 win and a 10-0 no hitter (7 innings) sweep over St. Mike's. Sophomore Vinny DiPierro threw the first no-hitter for UML since May 1, 1999. Lowell improves to 24-6.
          Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
          2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
          2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
          2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
          2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by Gainzo View Post
            Interesting move but there is no way the school can compete with the Beer Works.
            I agree, but it's an option for some folks. My only concern with ordering food in the Talon room this past season was the service time, which they also addressed in the email.

Did all season ticket holders have access to the Talon room? I had access but it was because of the Center Ice club. Other than a couple of times when they had a function going on before the game the amount of people in Talon room was pretty small.

I think it's a good idea to open the room up to more people, same with the Center Ice club. It's nice to get the big donors but it would be better to make it affordable for families to join like most Friends groups. The more involvement the better.

Comment

The Manchester Monarchs are offering 2 free tickets to Friday nights playoff game against Binghamton.

https://www.monarchsjungle.com/smg-thank-you?oid=216

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                Did all season ticket holders have access to the Talon room? I had access but it was because of the Center Ice club. Other than a couple of times when they had a function going on before the game the amount of people in Talon room was pretty small.

I think it's a good idea to open the room up to more people, same with the Center Ice club. It's nice to get the big donors but it would be better to make it affordable for families to join like most Friends groups. The more involvement the better.
                I also had access to the Talon room through the Center Ice Club. I only got to go to one game this year and had every intention of going to the Talon Club, but on the recommendation of some posters here, we went to the Beer Works first. The food was good, the beer was great, so we just stayed there almost until the start of the game. It was my first time at the Beer Works and we were all impressed.

I like where the new Talon Room is as opposed to the old location where a section of the walkway behind the goal was closed off to everyone but members. The new location does have the disadvantage of being unable to see the rink from most areas inside the room.

Maybe the marketing team can work something for next year's Center Ice Club. The family package gets you a couple of ballcaps for the kids and passes to the Talon room for X dollars. The Beer Works package gets you a free beer or appetizer before every home game for Y dollars. Good advertising for the restaurant, more potential donors for the school. I'm obviously the newbie here, but if the goal is to gain more memberships, something like that might be a way. It could also turn the Talon Club into a kids' room. One issue at a time Hopefully the marketing team is always looking for ways to attract large donors, small donors, and anything that will contribute to the program.

Nice to see the no hitter and a doubleheader sweep for the baseball team to snap the losing streak.
                U.S. Naval Academy '06 - BS
                UMass Lowell '12 - MBA

Comment

It would be nice to have something that attracted people without tons of cash to some sort of Friends group option. They might not have mucho buckos now but loyalty is a commodity that sells tix and sets up the next generation. Yrs ago the Friends set up travel to the games in places like AK, CO, ME etc. I don't think there was a ton of cash but the fans were there. You guys have a loyal group that started as students but when they killed that they lost the avg Joe. Of course there might be something like that now and I don't know. The Tully was so much more intimate. People knew each other because there was a finite space to go. The Tsongas Tcenter seems so much more nebulous.

Bottom line- the rich guys may provide money but there aren't as many of them. The little guy helps build the culture and fanbase. He/She needs something to make them feel special.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                    Bottom line- the rich guys may provide money but there aren't as many of them. The little guy helps build the culture and fanbase. He/She needs something to make them feel special.
                    There's got to be a way to cater to both. Adding the Pavilion Club and Chancellor's Suite is a good way to bring in some high rollers. The Center Ice Club is a great idea to allow for small and large donors to participate. A newsletter, coach/AD emails, or something to keep people informed and interested would be a start.

I signed up to receive email updates from 'Mack (for free) because I like Hockey East and they were a fun team to root for in the NCAAs this year (shows there's hope for a DII school with DI hockey). I understand it was a banner year for them, but EVERY WEEK, I got a mass email from the AD talking about the coming week's sporting events, the status of the hockey team, rink renovations, and future plans for athletic facilities on the campus. I know it was probably written by an assistant or something and they weren't very long, but they were fun to read and kept the information flowing from the administration to the fans. I'll still be a member of the Center Ice Club next season because I finally go to a school that supports DI (and Hockey East) hockey and want to see that continue (maybe with some success), but something as little as a newsletter or mass email could go a long way.

Also noted this morning that the head coaching vacancy has been taken down from the UML job opportunities site. I think there are some weird rules regarding state employees and job postings, but maybe we'll hear something soon?
                    Last edited by goUMLgoBC; 04-13-2011, 06:34 AM.
                    U.S. Naval Academy '06 - BS
                    UMass Lowell '12 - MBA

Comment

Originally posted by goUMLgoBC View Post
                      Also noted this morning that the head coaching vacancy has been taken down from the UML job opportunities site. I think there are some weird rules regarding state employees and job postings, but maybe we'll hear something soon?
                      Yay

Comment

Originally posted by goUMLgoBC View Post
                        I wouldn't be surprised.
                        Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                        2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                        2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                        2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Agree, and the program needs both of these groups. As goUMLgoBC mentioned, things like newsletters, emails, a membership card or a decal for the car go a long way. Any ways, first things first, the team still needs a coach.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                            Agree, and the program needs both of these groups. As goUMLgoBC mentioned, things like newsletters, emails, a membership card or a decal for the car go a long way. Any ways, first things first, the team still needs a coach.
                            Minor detail.

Comment

Minor detail.
                              related thoughts... I know they do game notes... and they surely have STH on a list... why not attach or link to the game notes ever week in an e-mail?

edit: what would one want to see in such a thing... does the hockey program produce a newsletter? Fold it in with the program? Articles on what goes in the hockey game and the aspects of college hockey? (Day of a game for a player or coach... the recruiting trail (what we look for, etc.)... know your enemy('s tactics) w/ a couple of diagrams... etc...) Just some thoughts.
                              Last edited by Patman; 04-13-2011, 08:00 PM.
                              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                              Skating Friar Jersey
                              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                                related thoughts... I know they do game notes... and they surely have STH on a list... why not attach or link to the game notes ever week in an e-mail?

edit: what would one want to see in such a thing... does the hockey program produce a newsletter? Fold it in with the program? Articles on what goes in the hockey game and the aspects of college hockey? (Day of a game for a player or coach... the recruiting trail (what we look for, etc.)... know your enemy('s tactics) w/ a couple of diagrams... etc...) Just some thoughts.
                                These are all great ideas!

Comment

Working...
                                X