Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA first round: UAA @ Minnesota

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    I know you're not a Minnesota fan, know why? You're using facts related to this season.
    Ahh, facts you say? OK.

This year, MN is 13-10-5 in league play while UAA is 12-14-2. A slight but significant lead for MN. Breaking it down into specific elements of their play, MN clearly is a better offensive team, and by a wide margin. MN also has the better goaltender (I'm waiting for a UAA fan to debate that, but just look at the numbers and the consistency). UAA has the edge in team defense. But with the aggregate relevance of goaltending and team defense being ability to prevent goals against, it's a wash between these two teams (both have given up 78g in conference play, and MN has given up 96 on the season to UAA's 99).

Looking at the past 14 games, which is arguably a better indicator of the teams being brought to the rink this coming weekend, MN is 7-4-3 while UAA is 7-7. Again, slight but significant. This is against virtually the same strength of schedule (UAA has played @UNO, @UND, DU while MN has played DU, @UMD, @UND; UAA has played MTU, @ MSU while MN has played MTU, @BSU; UAA played home/home with UA while MN played @ UW).
    In those 14 games, MN has allowed 4 or more goals twice. UAA has allowed 4 or more 5 times. MN has allowed 2 or less 9 times to UAA's 7.
    In scoring, MN has put up at least 3 goals in 10 of the last 14 (including the last 7 straight) while UAA has accomplished that mark less than half the time, only 6.
    MN has scored 1 or no goals only 3 times in the past 14, while UAA has done this 7 times in the past 14.

Any reasonable, rational person would conclude that MN is playing better hockey right now. Combine that with the fact that the games are being played in MN and the logical prediction would be that MN will win this series.

That being said, WCHA games and in particular the play-offs don't always follow logic. But I think MN fans have good reason to feel they are in a good spot to advance to the Final 5.

Comment

When UAA wins the series, will Donald be coming to the F5? Or will he just keep all the donated money to throw a Charlie Sheen-Style Extravaganza?
      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
        ah, now this is more like it. Actual fans of both teams going at it. Just too bad one team of seapups is going to get destroyed and sent back to Alaska.
        I watched the MN v Bemidji series this weekend (UND basically had the weekend off).
        MN and Bemidji looked somewhat evenly matched, UM only scored 1 more goal than Bemidji over the weekend, Bemidji controlled the puck for long periods of time, and UM had difficulty getting the puck out of their own zone. If UM plays UAA like they played against Bemidji last weekend, I certainly would not expect to see UAA get destroyed.

Should be a good series to watch. Could could get very physical and could go three games. Maybe low scoring and some sudden death OT hockey.
        "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
          I heard they paid Derek Shepard to lay on the goal line in front of the UAA net
          Turn this into a profiit deal, three shots at Shep for $5. Imagine the money that would be made?!?!?!
          Last edited by Greyeagle; 03-07-2011, 12:19 PM.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
          And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
          Twenty red lights in his honor
          Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
            I watched the MN v Bemidji series this weekend (UND basically had the weekend off).
            MN and Bemidji looked somewhat evenly matched, UM only scored 1 more goal than Bemidji over the weekend, Bemidji controlled the puck for long periods of time, and UM had difficulty getting the puck out of their own zone. If UM plays UAA like they played against Bemidji last weekend, I certainly would not expect to see UAA get destroyed.

Should be a good series to watch. Could could get very physical and could go three games. Maybe low scoring and some sudden death OT hockey.
            You mean like a horrendous call away from the Gophers sweeping kind of play? I don't expect us to "destoy" UAA at all, but I do think we have a better and deeper team and are playing at home. Gophers in 2

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
              I thought this past weekend's physicality had a lot to do with the smaller sheet. I would think that will be less of an issue at Mariucci. I would hope the Gophers can open it up and use their speed if AA tries to make it physical.
              Friday night, the Gophs were getting bounced around for the first half the game because they were playing like they did for much of the first half the year. They were flat-footed at times, waiting for Bemidji to do something and then reacting, instead of attacking the puck and battling for it, especially in their own zone. Bemidji gets credit for turing the momentum after the first few minutes, but MN didn't start to respond until at least half-way through the game. They acted shell-shocked at the resolve of the Beaves rather than taking it as a call to step up their own game. When they have attached the puck, they have been fine with physical play. Duluth isn't a giant rink by any means, and they played good, physical hockey there. It wasn't the rink size, it was the lack of effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                When UAA wins the series, will Donald be coming to the F5? Or will he just keep all the donated money to throw a Charlie Sheen-Style Extravaganza?
                Anchorage doesn’t contain the suck Grand Forks does as we don’t have bus service to Minneapolis. If He does decide to Party up instead of going to the F5 will you show up in that wedding dress you made for ”Miller Time”? Hey when does the new-fangled mascot and Nickname for the Dak Rats debut?
                Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

So nice to see all the NoDak fans showing up again. Obsess much? Obviously because this series has even less impact on a sue team then the BSU series did.

Funny how the word "destroy" seemed to provoke a few posts. Do I really think that? Probably not but I do think the Gophers will play well enough to take care of AA

Comment

I just don't do predictions anymore. If I pick the Gophers to lose I am sandbagging, if I pick them to win I am arrogant. Screw it.
                    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                      I just don't do predictions anymore. If I pick the Gophers to lose I am sandbagging, if I pick them to win I am arrogant. Screw it.
                      It's more fun to sandbag! The feeling is much better when the Gophers win after sandbagging compared to losing after a win prediction.
                      "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

UAA beats us 10-1 and 12-2
                        Originally posted by CavalryNate
                        Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                          Go back to the troll hole where you came from
                          Originally posted by vizoroo
                          Thought you had picked the avatar so we could id you. Guess he fooled me too.
                          Originally posted by duper
                          I obviously missed it, but it sounds like some idiot from CC took trolling to a whole new, totally inappropriate level.

I was well over the borderline. I figured I would meet you on your turf.
                          Every time you post like an *******, I want to quote the idiotic comment you made where you claim not to be a troll. You're such a dick.
                          Originally posted by dggoddard
                          Finally you made me laugh.

There may be hope for you yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                            Anchorage doesn’t contain the suck Grand Forks does as we don’t have bus service to Minneapolis. If He does decide to Party up instead of going to the F5 will you show up in that wedding dress you made for ”Miller Time”? Hey when does the new-fangled mascot and Nickname for the Dak Rats debut?
                            If Donald comes to St. Paul, I just might consider it.
                            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Sloe Gin View Post
                              you're delusional if you believe this Gopher team has the ability to make a run to the Frozen Four
                              This is hockey. Anything can happen. If Minnesota can beat UND in North Dakota this season BEFORE they started playing well then anything is in fact possible. Low probability, yes. Extremely low in fact, but it is possible.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                                UAA beats us 10-1 and 12-2
                                Driftryder understands the concept of sandbagging Very well, actually!
                                "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X