College replay video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College replay video

If I understand correctly in college hockey only the overhead camera above the goals is used for video review. In all other college sports with replay, video from all the cameras is used and also in pro hockey as well. So when is college hockey going to get up to speed? It wasn't that many years ago that we had no video review and it's certainly better now but it could be made better yet. I'm going to assume that it's because most college arenas aren't wired the way pro rinks are to have all that feed available but in the ever changing era of modern electronics shouldn't that be an easy hurdle to clear?

Re: College replay video

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    If I understand correctly in college hockey only the overhead camera above the goals is used for video review. In all other college sports with replay, video from all the cameras is used and also in pro hockey as well. So when is college hockey going to get up to speed? It wasn't that many years ago that we had no video review and it's certainly better now but it could be made better yet. I'm going to assume that it's because most college arenas aren't wired the way pro rinks are to have all that feed available but in the ever changing era of modern electronics shouldn't that be an easy hurdle to clear?
    Easy? Maybe, cheap? Hell no. Look at a school like Minnesota, where they have upwards of 5-7 cameras at every game (including the overheads). Compare to Alabama-Huntsville, who only has a single center ice camera for an internet feed. Now you're asking that each school invests several thousands of dollars in not only equipment, but in personnel to run the cameras and the replay equipment? Not very likely...
    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
    ECAC:
    HEA: UMass
    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

RPI's official replay system has a feed from the student-run TV station hooked in to it. I'm not sure if it's allowed to be used for official review purposes, but I don't see why it would be hooked in otherwise.
      RPI Class of 2012
      Visit rpitv.org to watch almost every RPI Hockey home game LIVE, as well as a huge collection of on demand games from this season and seasons past, all for FREE!

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
        Easy? Maybe, cheap? Hell no. Look at a school like Minnesota, where they have upwards of 5-7 cameras at every game (including the overheads). Compare to Alabama-Huntsville, who only has a single center ice camera for an internet feed. Now you're asking that each school invests several thousands of dollars in not only equipment, but in personnel to run the cameras and the replay equipment? Not very likely...
        It's the "lowest common denominator" fact. Like the NFL, IIRC, there are only certain camera angles allowed, ones that are at EVERY game, for fairness. Just because you are a richer school (or in the NFL's case, are a Monday Night Football game), you shouldn't have an "advantage" over other games, because of your situation. So, However many camera angles are at EVERY game, that's how many you have to work with.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
          Since you would assume all broadcast cameras feed to the same central source at the overheads and the laptops they use for review are already connected to it, with the right program why can't the laptop digitally record all the camera feeds for review?

Comment

Since you would assume all broadcast cameras feed to the same central source at the overheads and the laptops they use for review are already connected to it, with the right program why can't the laptop digitally record all the camera feeds for review?
            Storage space and processing power for that would be enormous, not to mention the wiring needed to run a feed to both the TV production truck/room AND to the computer recording the files.
            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
              Storage space and processing power for that would be enormous, not to mention the wiring needed to run a feed to both the TV production truck/room AND to the computer recording the files.
              Not my area of expertise which is why I'm asking but the TV replay we watch in our homes in most venues is already wired into the overhead cameras the review laptops use so networking shouldn't be the main obstacle. Given the other reasons you mention but one would assume it can't be too far into the future for processing and memory needed to be easily available given how far computers have come in the past 5-10 years. We're into the terabyte range now on hard drives. How much storage is needed to record a single game from just one camera? (assuming it doesn't have to be high def)
              Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 03-06-2011, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Well, WCHA rinks have a system for reviews and a separate system for TV. The angles are different and TV doesn't have access to the replay angles and the replay system doesn't have access to the TV angles. Also, the replay systems have multiple angles and not just overhead.

Comment

Not my area of expertise which is why I'm asking but the TV replay we watch in our homes in most venues is already wired into the overhead cameras the review laptops use so networking shouldn't be the main obstacle. Given the other reasons you mention but one would assume it can't be too far into the future for processing and memory needed to be easily available given how far computers have come in the past 5-10 years. We're into the terabyte range now on hard drives. How much storage is needed to record a single game from just one camera? (assuming it doesn't have to be high def)
                  The system required for all this isn't just a "laptop". It's actually cameras wired into a video server that records, stores, and plays back the video at speeds slow enough for accurate review. This requires many many pieces, cameras with a high enough picture quality to be useful, the actual server itself, mounting the cameras, wiring said cameras into the video server, a control system to find the clips and rewind and fast foward as necessary, people to run it during the games, wiring the monitor at the scorers table, and wiring the voice communication between the replay controller and the scorers table.

So yeah, that ought to be real easy for schools to do with like 6-8 different cameras.
                  U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                    Also, the replay systems have multiple angles and not just overhead.
                    I believe this depends on the rink.
                    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Video DDR's (digital disk recorders) can cost in the order of 10's of thousands of dollars. Ever additional channel adds significantly to the price. Setting up the cameras and wiring the rink is no easy feat either. In most hockey arenas the Officiating replay system is completely separate from the house TV system. I don't foresee college hockey moving past the 2-camera replay system for quite a while.
                      The Alaska Airlines Governors cup is where it belongs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                        The system required for all this isn't just a "laptop". It's actually cameras wired into a video server that records, stores, and plays back the video at speeds slow enough for accurate review. This requires many many pieces, cameras with a high enough picture quality to be useful, the actual server itself, mounting the cameras, wiring said cameras into the video server, a control system to find the clips and rewind and fast foward as necessary, people to run it during the games, wiring the monitor at the scorers table, and wiring the voice communication between the replay controller and the scorers table.

So yeah, that ought to be real easy for schools to do with like 6-8 different cameras.
                        This.

If I recall, the video replay system at BSU's new rink was upwards of $50,000. And that only included the overhead cameras (and not in HD). You can't just hook a flip camera up to your laptop and call it done...
                        Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                        B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                        CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                        ECAC:
                        HEA: UMass
                        NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                        Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

It's a shame it's not easier and more cost effective than what's being reported. Multiple camera reviews would certainly change the outcome of some games.

Comment

I think the real shame is that we need to rely (or believe we need to rely) on replay as much as we do. We have 4 sets of eyes on the ice now, as well as two goal judges who are still in prime real estate (unlike the NHL) to see whether or not pucks fully cross the goal line. And I haven't noticed a decline in the amount of time people will still complain about officiating (me included) or in the amount of carping the coaches do about officiating, or in the amount of time spent in forums like this disagreeing with calls even WITH the aid of replay. One needs look no further than the MSU/UA threads about the OT goal in the Friday game, or last weekend's Notre Dame/Western game. Not complete agreement on a number of goal/no goal calls there even though the plays were reviewed.

There still is no set standard for what is reviewed, instead we have each individual referee relying only on his own judgment to decide when and what to review, despite the fact that, at least in principle, there is supposed to be a set of criteria. In far too many instances I have seen a referee acquiesce to the demands of a coach to "go to the replay" even though that referee was initially quite clear in his ruling on the ice. I don't care how crappy a leagues referees are, if they bow down to the coaches in rough situations, we have chaos.

I accept the idea that human beings will make incorrect calls. I also accept the idea that even with the aid of replay, they still make incorrect calls. So lets just do away with the momentum killing delays and live with the occasional uncertainty. It isn't like we don't anyway.

And yes I am a purist. I also don't like the shootout or full face covering. I am OK with the curved blades, though.

Comment

We're not even using replay at all in AHA. Let's start with getting those schools up to the current standards before we start talking about professional-level replay!

Powers &8^]

Comment

Working...
                              X