• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #7 Vermont at #2 Univ.New Hampshire HE quarter final

Let the revenge begin

Re: #7 Vermont at #2 Univ.New Hampshire HE quarter final

1-0, 1-0 UVM advances
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
      Let the revenge begin
      Huh? I'm a little baffled by your post. It's not like if you guys win this quarter final series you'll be vindicated. You guys should win this series, just as you should have won last year. I doubt Umile and the team are looking at it as a revenge thing. I suspect they just want to take care of their business.

Comment

This matchup warms my heart.

There was a time in the mid 70's when UVM was our key rival. Whenever the two teams played, both Snively and Gutterson flat out rocked.

To give you some idea of the import of their games: they were always carried on New Hampshire Public Television -- the only sporting event of the year it broadcast -- as fundraising exercises.

Then Hockey East split from the ECAC, and Maine entered Div 1. I still have a hard time demonizing the Black Bears, though, as the guys in green and white (with a touch of yellow) were just too cool...

Comment

Originally posted by snively View Post
          This matchup warms my heart.

There was a time in the mid 70's when UVM was our key rival. Whenever the two teams played, both Snively and Gutterson flat out rocked.

To give you some idea of the import of their games: they were always carried on New Hampshire Public Television -- the only sporting event of the year it broadcast -- as fundraising exercises.

Then Hockey East split from the ECAC, and Maine entered Div 1. I still have a hard time demonizing the Black Bears, though, as the guys in green and white (with a touch of yellow) were just too cool...
          Cool story. As a kid growing up in Vermont, I remember those games being carried on NHPT. At the time, however, I wasn't much of a UVM fan. My family lived in Woodstock, so my allegiance was with Dartmouth. I watched many a game in Davis Rink, and then later Thompson Arena. It was only after attending UVM that I grew to love the Cats and despise the Big Green. Hopefully, UVM and UNH can get the rivalry back to what it once was.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
            Hopefully, UVM and UNH can get the rivalry back to what it once was.
            Thanks, UVM Cat in Texas. Miss it.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
              Cool story. As a kid growing up in Vermont, I remember those games being carried on NHPT. At the time, however, I wasn't much of a UVM fan. My family lived in Woodstock, so my allegiance was with Dartmouth. I watched many a game in Davis Rink, and then later Thompson Arena. It was only after attending UVM that I grew to love the Cats and despise the Big Green. Hopefully, UVM and UNH can get the rivalry back to what it once was.
              My younger brother used to play youth hockey in the Davis Rink - perhaps the coldest, horsebarn in Northern New England.
              I have a DVD of some old games covered by NHPTV and one of the clips is from the Gutt. Channel 11 brought their equipment up to Burlington for these games. In an era prior to cable and 1,000's of sporting events on demand, this coverage and the games were very special.
              The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Looks like UNH isn't playing their best hockey lately, going 2-4-2 in their last 8. Even so, I see them taking out UVM in two.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
                  My younger brother used to play youth hockey in the Davis Rink - perhaps the coldest, horsebarn in Northern New England.
                  I have a DVD of some old games covered by NHPTV and one of the clips is from the Gutt. Channel 11 brought their equipment up to Burlington for these games. In an era prior to cable and 1,000's of sporting events on demand, this coverage and the games were very special.
                  Cool -- must be a great clip. You're one of the lucky ones on this board who will remember the very special barn atmosphere I'm referencing here, no?

Do you remember a UVM defenseman name John Glynne? As I recall, he played with a ponytail. And these were the days when the "helmet" was more like a skullcap (no mask, short on the front and sides, and high in back, so it was pretty much all hair). Very cool look indeed.

And speaking of very cool and special, Gordie Clark, Jamie Hislop and Cliff Cox remain my favorite hockey trio ever. Once drove up to see Jamie play for the Quebec Nordiques. And some trivia on Gordie: the Scottish name is no joke. He was born in Glasgow.
                  Last edited by snively; 03-06-2011, 03:43 PM.

Comment

I'm smiling as I read all your guys references to the GREAT old days.....stories? How about when UVM came to play at Snively and the line went past the NE Center at 3 in the afternoon? And thats when it held only 3400! In 1975m we had 2 awesome games vs UVM...we went up to UVM, and as we drive in, we see these signs in the dorm windows, " UNH sucks", F*#@k UNH", there were fake chickens being hanged in the windows....we ended up losing 8-7 with about 5 goals scored in the 3rd and Hislop hitting the post as time expired....thenat home UNH lost that game as Cap Raeder left the crease to go get the puck in the left corner but UVM got there first and put it home, winning 4-3 in OT....some great history here...and yes John Glynne did have a nice pony tail....after the games, as we waited to head out, many on the 2 teams talked and enjoyed our friendships...Tom Colby, Tom McNamara, Glynne....maybe not as structured then being a D-1 athlete, but great times with great people!

Comment

Originally posted by snively View Post
                      And speaking of very cool and special, Gordie Clark, Jamie Hislop and Cliff Cox remain my favorite hockey trio ever. Once drove up to see Jamie play for the Quebec Nordiques. And some trivia on Gordie: the Scottish name is no joke. He was born in Glasgow.
                      Of the three, Jamie Hislop had the most success at the professional level. He played 6 seasons in the NHL and 3 in the old WHA:
                      http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=2298

The Hockey East version of the UNH-UVM matchups have gotten interesting over the last couple of seasons. In last season's playoffs, UVM smothered a potent UNH offense to win the Hockey East quarterfinals. They parlayed that into an NCAA appearance. Contrasting styles (neutral zone shutdown vs. skating-passing-transition), contrasting coaches (young cerebral vs. veteran gut instinct), and similar goalies (diminutive, agile and flashy). Should be a fun series to watch.
                      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Great way to end the season by beating up on a completely dismal Umass Lowell team. 3 out of 4 points was good enough for the 7 seed. Ecstatic to play UNH instead of BC, not that it'll make a difference Guess it just means we have a glimmer of hope. Hoping for a somewhat competitive series!

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                          I'm smiling as I read all your guys references to the GREAT old days.....stories? How about when UVM came to play at Snively and the line went past the NE Center at 3 in the afternoon? And thats when it held only 3400! In 1975m we had 2 awesome games vs UVM...we went up to UVM, and as we drive in, we see these signs in the dorm windows, " UNH sucks", F*#@k UNH", there were fake chickens being hanged in the windows....we ended up losing 8-7 with about 5 goals scored in the 3rd and Hislop hitting the post as time expired....thenat home UNH lost that game as Cap Raeder left the crease to go get the puck in the left corner but UVM got there first and put it home, winning 4-3 in OT....some great history here...and yes John Glynne did have a nice pony tail....after the games, as we waited to head out, many on the 2 teams talked and enjoyed our friendships...Tom Colby, Tom McNamara, Glynne....maybe not as structured then being a D-1 athlete, but great times with great people!
                          Thank you for your terrific post, zoofer! Funny: it's been 36 years, but I remember those two games (and Cap's very atypical gaffe) as though they were yesterday.

RE: How about when UVM came to play at Snively and the line went past the NE Center at 3 in the afternoon? Indeed. Must have been an interesting sight for the visiting team's bus as they pulled in.

"White Out at the Whitt", cool as it is, has nothing on us.

PS: thanks for the link on Jamie, C-H-C.
                          Last edited by snively; 03-06-2011, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by midge843 View Post
                            Great way to end the season by beating up on a completely dismal Umass Lowell team. 3 out of 4 points was good enough for the 7 seed. Ecstatic to play UNH instead of BC, not that it'll make a difference Guess it just means we have a glimmer of hope. Hoping for a somewhat competitive series!
                            I'll say with the way UVM looked this weekend against Lowell they have no hope against UNH. UVM looked terrible against the worst team in HE.

Comment

Originally posted by UML View Post
                              I'll say with the way UVM looked this weekend against Lowell they have no hope against UNH. UVM looked terrible against the worst team in HE.
                              Leave it to a Lowell fan to ruin a warm and loving thread.
                              New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Working...
                              X