#7 Vermont at #2 Univ.New Hampshire HE quarter final

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: #7 Vermont at #2 Univ.New Hampshire HE quarter final

Yes the UVM students are on break this week. I myself will not be traveling this weekend...unfortunately
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
      *****http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=383&d=1214037416******
      That's way too funny!!! to ∞
      We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
      ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
      --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

This is a big weekend in my business so unfortunately I can't attend either game unless a game 3 is played.

Comment

Originally posted by snively View Post

Speaking of Harvard, when I was there they had a helluva good forward named Phil Falcone.

He went into investment banking, and is now a multi-billionaire. Made $825 million in 2009 alone -- and that was after the market crashed.

Enough to make him one of the country's ten top investment bankers by personal earnings. See table of top 10 posted a few weeks ago at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11942117

Not exactly "****ing Chrysler plant here I come!", eh?
          Oh wow, thats special. So basically IBs get bailout money, than post record profits. Just to keep the system afloat, the FED keeps buying back more of these ****ty purchases via POMO. You don't need to be a harvard grad to get into IB, you gotta be a complete ****ing scumbag.

wonder when QE3 and QE4 are coming? Maybe your buddy can brag about more profits at the expense of the U.S tax pay...err thanks to his harvard degree.
          "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

Originally posted by unh_hockey View Post
            So basically IBs get bailout money, than post record profits. Just to keep the system afloat, the FED keeps buying back more of these ****ty purchases via POMO. You don't need to be a harvard grad to get into IB, you gotta be a complete ****ing scumbag. Maybe your buddy can brag about more profits at the expense of the U.S tax pay...err thanks to his harvard degree.

You're right about us taxpayers footing the bill for all this obscene sudden wealth (which in his case was actually made running a hedge fund rather than an investment bank -- his ilk generally bet against the market by shorting it).

But to set the record straight -- and at the risk of further annoying the board monitors --- he was no buddy of mine (though others there were). I supported UNH very loudly and visiby the entire time I was there, even while living in a river House with quite a few varsity players. Took a lot of grief and teasing for it from them, as we never seemed to quite beat them.

Getting (almost) back to tonight... When Maine's hockey program wasn't even a gleam in Orono's eye, Vermont was absolutely our biggest rival. See my comments on this earlier on this thead, and on the games being broadcast on New Hampshire Public Television. Nice to have them in Hockey East, and hope that the heat of that rivalry gets rebuilt.

PS: I'm almost never on the main Board; love the cool/famous Louis XIV quote.
            Last edited by snively; 03-11-2011, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Getting (almost) back to tonight... When Maine's hockey program wasn't even a gleam in Orono's eye, Vermont was absolutely our biggest rival. See my comments on this earlier on this thead, and on the games being broadcast on New Hampshire Public Television. Nice to have them in Hockey East, and hope that the heat of that rivalry gets rebuilt.
              Interesting as I had always been led to believe that BU was public enemy #1 during the 70's and 80's; not that I ever thought it went both ways mind you as BU had BC & Cornell in that era.

Comment

When Maine's hockey program wasn't even a gleam in Orono's eye, Vermont was absolutely our biggest rival.
                Non, I was der, dey wasnt. UNHs owned UVM, look at de all times recorde. De big games was BU, Cornell, Dartmouth, even Clarkson. UVM was de bottom feedeur dat no one cared about.

Comment

Any TV coverage for either game?
                  Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Dunlap View Post
                    Any TV coverage for either game?
                    Nope, NESN has exclusive rights (IIRC) and is only showing tomorrow nights Maine @ Merrimack game. For cost video stream available from the league: http://hockeyeastonline.tv ($7.95)
                    Last edited by ClOuD 9; 03-11-2011, 04:13 PM.
                    "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                    Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                    NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                    EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                    AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                    1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Thanks Cloud9.
                      Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Whitt View Post
                        Interesting as I had always been led to believe that BU was public enemy #1 during the 70's and 80's; not that I ever thought it went both ways mind you as BU had BC & Cornell in that era.
                        Yeah, I have to disagree with Snives about this one, because BU was THE huge rivalry, as I recall. However, I am willing to quickly concede defeat if others chime in and correct me -- Snives' memory of detail is far, far sharper than mine.
                        We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
                        ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
                        --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Solid game tonight. UVM came out with good intensity and dictated the play in the first period. UNH played very solid in the second and third. The Moses line was just ridiculous tonight, making the UVM defense look like pylons, it was nice that Moses finally potted one in the third period to give the 'Cats a littel breathing room. DiGi was certainly on his game tonight, and would have gotten a shutout if there was anyone to bother backchecking when UVM got their one goal. really the only problem I had after the first period. I didn't see the play that got Sneddon infuriated before the first UNH goal, but whatever happened, the stripes, especially Keenan (who has quietly become the worst official in the league), did their best to make up for it. I thought I was watching Thursday night's Bruins/Sabers game, yikes....
                          Good to see UNH at 100% on the power play though

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques "Rabbit" Poriveau View Post
                            Non, I was der, dey wasnt. UNHs owned UVM, look at de all times recorde. De big games was BU, Cornell, Dartmouth, even Clarkson. UVM was de bottom feedeur dat no one cared about.
                            For kids who went to UNH and grew up in New Hampshire(like myself), UVM was a big rival and still is. Obviously you didn' t grow up in New Hampshire or you would already know that.
                            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                              For kids who went to UNH and grew up in New Hampshire(like myself), UVM was a big rival and still is. Obviously you didn' t grow up in New Hampshire or you would already know that.
                              I grew up in Durham (see my reminiscing posts above) and remember BU visits as being the wildest in the late 60s and early 70s; I remember Clarkson, Army, and UVM being a big deal in the outdoor Batchelder rink in the early 60s. Was not in the East from 1972 to 1981, so cannot say about those years, although as noted by Snively above, we had some great teams then, and a heart-breaking FF loss in 1977 that I watched on TV in Colorado.

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                                Solid game tonight. UVM came out with good intensity and dictated the play in the first period. UNH played very solid in the second and third. The Moses line was just ridiculous tonight, making the UVM defense look like pylons, it was nice that Moses finally potted one in the third period to give the 'Cats a littel breathing room. DiGi was certainly on his game tonight, and would have gotten a shutout if there was anyone to bother backchecking when UVM got their one goal. really the only problem I had after the first period. I didn't see the play that got Sneddon infuriated before the first UNH goal, but whatever happened, the stripes, especially Keenan (who has quietly become the worst official in the league), did their best to make up for it. I thought I was watching Thursday night's Bruins/Sabers game, yikes....
                                Good to see UNH at 100% on the power play though
                                Despite being up 1-0 at the end of the first, I felt like UNH was behind. UVM totally dictated the play and, if UNH were playing BC or any other high echelon team, the game would have been over. DiGi definitely saved their bacon in the first. When UVM tied it in the second period I though for sure the floodgates would open for them since UNH was doing next to nothing on the defensive end. But the PP goal changed everything and after that it was all UNH.

The play that had Sneddon going ballistic was just before the first UNH goal when one of his guys was cross checked into the boards in the corner to the right of Madore. I say cross checked but honestly all I saw was the guy go down in a heap. I think UVM let up for a couple of seconds, thinking there might be a penalty. UNH took advantage and got the goal. After the goal the refs went over to explain things to Sneddon, but he wasn't buying it. That's probably what you saw.

Not the greatest game for UNH. The defensive side of the puck was non-existent in the first but they did pick it up after the PP goal in the second. I was thinking after Beck got his third penalty, that unbelievably stupid slash after the whistle, that I would have sat him down tomorrow night. Of course, Umile doesn't have that option since no one but the top six has played all season.

Hopefully a better performance tomorrow night. And hopefully a better crowd. At 2,800 and change, that might be the smallest crowd ever since the Whit opened. I can check that but don't have the time tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                X