Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: #7 Vermont at #2 Univ.New Hampshire HE quarter final

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    After games for some of those few years when the drinking age was 18, we would be in the Down Under Pub on Main Street until closing, along with some of our hockey players. Hmmm, hope that those were Saturday night games, and not Friday nights on a two-game weekend.
    For what it's worth, I also remember seeing Jerry York with a mess of Bowling Green players in the Tin Palace before he moved on to Boston College

Comment

I read the last few pages of this thread and, although it has drifted away from the matter at hand, it is compelling reading for us old folks. I'll start out by saying that I've been a college hockey fan since I was in high school more (actually way more) than 40 years ago. Two guys in my class played D1 (BU and Harvard), coming from a public school in Lynn. Nowadays Lynn can't find 25 skaters in the whole city who want to play for a public school. But I digress. Coming from Lynn, I was always a BU fan and, to a lesser extent Harvard. Northeastern was not on the radar and BC was anathema thanks to my dad, who graduated from BU. Went to the Beanpots and the occasional game at the Arena. I thought I knew college hockey and what it is all about until I got to Durham. My first game at Snively was also the first date with my now wife. We saw UNH smother Army something like 15-5, with John Gray scoring five goals. Crowd was going crazy and I was hooked. And still am.

To some points. Not sure of Guy Smith's heritage, but he was listed as from Ottawa and, as everybody knows, was Jay Silverheel's (Tonto) nephew. Guy was the humblest of guys. Back then he was what we now call a chick magnet. Real handsome guy, a real slow talker, and pretty intelligent (was a Vetinarian). His death back in the '90's was pretty tragic. Louis Frigon, from Montreal, was never one of my favorites (no hustle, I liked Umile), but I know Charlie loved him, even though he didn't recruit him. Louis did have the shot, for sure. But the defensive side of the ice was foreign territory.

I could go on and on I suppose. Zoof, I find it ironic that the guys on the ice after the Cornell win in '77 were thinking the same as those of us in the stands . . . going to the NCAA's. We hung around for most of the Clarkson-BU game, but left to go to Chinatown after Clarkson went up by 3 goals. We were sitting in traffic on Beach St. when one guy yelled "BU won." I thought the next night UNH just ran out of gas in the third. Can you imagine scoring 15 goals in two games and not winning the championship. But that's what happened. On to Detroit where I will point out that the winning goal in the '77 NCAA semis was scored by Mike Eaves, not Mark Evans (former UNH goalie who was the starter in 1978). Eaves of course is the father of Patrick and Ben and is the head coach of Wisconsin, rumored to be going to the NHL I read somewhere. That game, that weekend, was beyond belief. I am sure Zoof can attest. I hope he remembers the post game party at the Dearborn Hyatt. It was like the last days of the Roman Empire.

Enough of this. How about a nice round table discussion at some point. Either this weekend or next. Reminiscing is good but not at the expense of focusing on this weekends games. As I've said a couple of times, this weekend is all about UNH. They are better in every phase of the game and have the record to prove it. If they lose to Vermont, shame on them, especially after what happened last year. My good friend Tom said at the beginning of the season, "how about we make it to the Garden." Good thought. And makes me think of the mid-70's when we had the five year drought. Go Cats!

Comment

I'm honestly looking forward to a couple of W's this weekend, there's nothing mean-spirited when we're playing UVM, so we're not getting flamewars as we'd be if we were playing BC.
        My $0.02 about Snively Arena: we had smoking areas, I believe, the food was atrocious, smelly bathrooms, from what I remember. I do remember Dr. Giles Threadgold, my favorite referee, was it Billy Noble, the defenseman who'd line up a guy eighty feet away to hip-check him. Guy Smith, Bobby Brandt, Dick Umile, I saw them all. Probably the best was Bobby Miller. As a freshman he just shone on the ice, so smooth and talented. Those were the ECAC days, when UNH was just starting to make it into the big time, when it was our Canadiens are better than your Canadiens. Those were good times, leading up to the success the program has now. How could I forget Louis Frigon? Legend has it he scored a hat trick, and, as result, he didn't have to pass in his Parks and Recreation project.
        "A date is an experience you have with another person that makes you appreciate being alone."
        Larry David

Comment

Originally posted by snively View Post
          Fair enough. But it's not often you get posts from the players themselves, recalling both events and their thoughts during historic games.

I had a chance to meet Bob Miller during a Bruins alum game a few weeks ago (along with Bruce Crowder, not to mention a slew of former Bruins who never played for UNH -- Terry O'Reilly, Middleton, etc.) That was pretty cool -- Bob was one of my favorite UNH players back then. Too bad (for us at least) that he left the program so early.

And your point would be? You graduated, didn't you? Has anyone ever asked you your GPA? Is there a thread about it?

It wouldn't have gotten me into Harvard for post-grad work, that's for sure!
          We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
          ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
          --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by billb View Post
            I'm honestly looking forward to a couple of W's this weekend, there's nothing mean-spirited when we're playing UVM, so we're not getting flamewars as we'd be if we were playing BC.
            My $0.02 about Snively Arena: we had smoking areas, I believe, the food was atrocious, smelly bathrooms, from what I remember. I do remember Dr. Giles Threadgold, my favorite referee, was it Billy Noble, the defenseman who'd line up a guy eighty feet away to hip-check him. Guy Smith, Bobby Brandt, Dick Umile, I saw them all. Probably the best was Bobby Miller. As a freshman he just shone on the ice, so smooth and talented. Those were the ECAC days, when UNH was just starting to make it into the big time, when it was our Canadiens are better than your Canadiens. Those were good times, leading up to the success the program has now. How could I forget Louis Frigon? Legend has it he scored a hat trick, and, as result, he didn't have to pass in his Parks and Recreation project.
            Bill, do you remember watching the '76 Winter Olympics (Bobby played for the US team) and hearing that he was involved in some kind of a bar brawl over there in Austria, and (I believe) was arrested?
            We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
            ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
            --Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
              ...Enough of this. How about a nice round table discussion at some point. Either this weekend or next. Reminiscing is good but not at the expense of focusing on this weekends games. As I've said a couple of times, this weekend is all about UNH. They are better in every phase of the game and have the record to prove it. If they lose to Vermont, shame on them, especially after what happened last year. My good friend Tom said at the beginning of the season, "how about we make it to the Garden." Good thought. And makes me think of the mid-70's when we had the five year drought. Go Cats!
              Sure enough Greg, but do you really think that our reminiscing in this thread is truly at the expense of focusing on the games this weekend? We still have over 900 posts to go before the thread is closed, and what more is there to say other than what you wrote above: "If they lose to Vermont, shame on them, especially after what happened last year." I'd bet that's a common thought among the UNH fans.
              ---Blaise Pascal

--Richard Dawkins

Comment

Lot of time on your hands?

How many UNH fans are on the BC thread, trying to come up with self-amusing things to say? Just curious.
                Oh non you dint juste calling me zee BC fan! Do nots getting all ups on my laste nurve like dat, aiiiight, eh!

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                  Honestly, does this Vermont team have a chance to come into Durham and take two of three?
                  Honestly, I sure hope Umile and UNH are thinking the same thing.

The answer of course is yes. Here's why.

A.) Less then 3 weeks ago, UVM skated to a 2-2 tie, a 2-2 tie where they outshot the bluecats by a pretty large margin, and one where Digilarmo was stellar keeping UNH in the game. There is no reason that can't happen again. And that game could have been very easily a W for UVM. Was it a poor effort by UNH? Maybe but that's really irrelevant, it's not like they can't lay an egg in the playoffs.

B.) Madore : Rob is playing as well as he ever has. Last year he shutdown a better UNH offense in back to back games. UVM didn't win those games because the offense kept pace with UNH, they won because Madore didn't allow a UNH goal. Goaltending hasn't changed, it CAN be just as good as it was last year.

C.) Overall : This UVM team isn't as bad as scoreboard watchers think. People like to say it isn't the same team as last year, and while that's true, it's the easy cop out. This team has had some growing pains, last years did as well up until they dumped Milo. What people don't pay attention to or bother to look into are the individual games. THIS UVM team lost to DU 5-3 ENG ( on a goal that was clearly legit but called back and an unbelievable save by Murray in the wanning minutes), then tied DU 1-1. DU is currently 5th in Crack. THIS UVM team then followed that up with a tie against MC currently Cracked out at 8th. They then had a 1 goal loss against BC before beating BC the following night currently the second crack team. More recently we have the tie aginst UNH and then against BU (16th) and a 7-2 shellacking of ME (18).

11 of their losses have been by 2g or less against a very tough schedule, and that has been with the team playing just jekyll and hyde all season.

Does UVM have a shot to win 2 at the Whitt, you bet. They are certainly the underdogs, but it would be foolish to think it can't happen. Especially if you consider THIS UNH team is 3-5 in the HE tourney and 1-4 in the past two seasons.

If I were betting money I would put in on the WildCats, but realistically absolutely the Catamounts can win.
                  Originally posted by Hokydad
                  Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                    If I were betting money I would put in on the WildCats, but realistically absolutely the Catamounts can win.
                    They won SIX league games all season. Keeping in mind that nothing I say here will become bulletin board material to the teams, the answer is still "no." But the good news is, because BU is not playing Vermont, you might stay off of our thread for the time being!!

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                      ...Snively arena was the absolute wildest whenever BU came to Durham in the late 60s and early 70s.
                      Yes, but you had the BEST cheer I've ever heard (of course, this is when both benches were on the same side)..."This is the WINNING team!! (pause....) This is the LOSING team!! (pause...) [Pointing to UNH...] WINNING TEAM!!! [Pointing to BU...] LOSING TEAM!!! WINNING TEAM!!! LOSING TEAM!!! etc. I have to say that, now that the initital thrill of the new arenas has worn off, it was more FUN to attend a game in the old barns. Even Walter Brown was loud, as the sound would just bounce off of that corrugated metal ceiling. I'm not saying I would rather go back, because at my age I am very happy for the amenities at the new arenas, and the sightlines are great. I'm just saying that the atmosphere in those places was incomparable! I agree with your assessment. (but I am willing to concede that maybe part of the reason it was more fun was because we were...shhh...younger)

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                        Maybe...that remains to be seen...but as of 20 minutes ago, Vermont has NO CHANCE...bye bye
                        I’m not naïve and I understand the animosity that the BU fans engender, but I can’t do anything about it. So don’t lump us all together. If you want to have a discussion without berating us, fine. Otherwise, I’m out of here. It’s not very enjoyable…
                        They won SIX league games all season. But the good news is, because BU is not playing Vermont, you might stay off of our thread for the time being!!
                        Hey there hypocrit. Why don't you go pisz up a tree. You came on this thread and made an gloating comment about the basketball game. Then pretending you are all upset about ********* internet posters declare that you shouldn't be lumped together and you are outta here. Follow that up with another snide comment.

So lets recap

You act like a dink
                        Then you don't want to be lumped in with the other dink BU posters and you don't want to be bereted
                        You ARE LEFT ALONE
                        Then you come back and make more dumb comments.

-by by
                        -I'm outta here

Good Go, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Comment

They won SIX league games all season. Keeping in mind that nothing I say here will become bulletin board material to the teams, the answer is still "no." But the good news is, because BU is not playing Vermont, you might stay off of our thread for the time being!!
                          Says the BU fan in the UNH/Vermont thread (just kidding, I enjoy your stories so far!)

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                            Especially if you consider THIS UNH team is 3-5 in the HE tourney and 1-4 in the past two seasons.
                            THIS UNH team is 0-0 in the HE Tourney...THIS UNH team is very different from the team 2 years ago and even more different than the team 3 years ago, just because the seniors were freshmen (only a couple who played). I know what you're saying, but that's not accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques "Rabbit" Poriveau View Post
                              Oh non you dint juste calling me zee BC fan! Do nots getting all ups on my laste nurve like dat, aiiiight, eh!
                              if zeee shoooz fitz, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                                THIS UNH team is 0-0 in the HE Tourney...THIS UNH team is very different from the team 2 years ago and even more different than the team 3 years ago, just because the seniors were freshmen (only a couple who played). I know what you're saying, but that's not accurate.
                                Well come on now, it's not like we can compare how this exactly composed team has done previously in the HE tourney....

I realize it's not accurate, we can revisti it after thw eekend if you like, but seems it might be too late then

Really was simply trying to start a discussion of events that took place this millenia. But I understand your point.

Comment

Working...
                                X