Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: #1 Boston College vs. #8 UMass-Amherst - HEA Quarterfinals

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
    Hi sterlippo1. I will be attending the first two games this weekend. I have a commitment Sunday night so if it goes to 3 games I will unfortunately miss it. More likely, if it goes to three games I'll have to figure out a way to weasel out of said commitment.

As for coming on here, I lurk but usually don't post unless someone mentions UMass, which isn't too often.

I have no idea what you remember. I just found it funny the poster I quoted knew when UMass last beat BC, knew how many times the two schools had played since, knew Dainton beat BC in his first start against the Eagles, but didn't know Dainton played the the game in which UMass last won.

If you want me to remind you of the game in question, I will. It was the second game of a home and home, a Saturday night November game in Amherst, and might have been a sell out. The night before, UMass lost to BC, 2-0 if I recall correctly. That game, in Chestnut Hill, featured Dan Meyers in net for UMass.

As for the Saturday game, Paul Dainton was in net. I remember BC had a lead going into the third, I think by two goals. I remember a UMass Basketball player named Tony Gaffney rode the zamboni during the section intermission to try to give a plug for the hoops team, and he said something along the lines of "You guys are awfully quiet here for such a good hockey game." I don't remember how UMass tied it, but I do remember Casey Wellman beating John Muse in overtime with less than a minute left. I was sitting in the corner of the Mullins Center in the first row above where the Minutemen come from their locker room, which was the same end as where the game winning goal happened. Wellman was a freshman and had a huge grin on his face. It was an enjoyable moment, one that I think sticks out in the mind of a UMass fan a lot more than a BC fan, for obvious reasons.
    thanks your your response and i hope my comment didn't imply sarcasm as it wasn't supposed to. i should have had a smiley face in there .......it was more of a tongue and cheek remark. I am glad you will be making the games.
    Last edited by sterlippo1; 03-08-2011, 01:14 PM.

Comment

My prediction...Umass plays well, like they are capable of doing, their goalie gets hot and they make the weekend a contested battle. BC plays okay and squeezes out two hard fought wins, much to the chagrin of their BC hockey fan forum posters. The perfection seeking fans, describe how things could have gone better and how if the team plays like that in the Hockeyeast Semi-Finals they will get blown out of the garden. However, the team continues on and prepares for the semi's as their faithful fans play Monday morning QB all week. Yep, sounds about right.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny View Post
        My prediction...Blah blah blah blah blah
        Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

My prediction...Umass plays well, like they are capable of doing, their goalie gets hot and they make the weekend a contested battle. BC plays okay and squeezes out two hard fought wins, much to the chagrin of their BC hockey fan forum posters. The perfection seeking fans, describe how things could have gone better and how if the team plays like that in the Hockeyeast Semi-Finals they will get blown out of the garden. However, the team continues on and prepares for the semi's as their faithful fans play Monday morning QB all week. Yep, sounds about right.
          I'm glad you finally have us figured out........"perfection seeking fans" i kinda like that. we saw perfection last friday night by the way, if they play half as good in these two games they will win comfortably so then we can discuss what was wrong on monday, got it!

Comment

Hey... the Eagles sucked pond water in the 1st period Saturday and they wound up winning the game playing their B- or C+ game. There were no complaints around here (but only because they were so darn good on Friday). Friday was the Eagle team we know they can be, so we cut them some slack.

I see two tight games this weekend also, but the Eagles prevail in two.
            'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

BC plays okay and squeezes out two hard fought wins, much to the chagrin of their BC hockey fan forum posters. The perfection seeking fans, describe how things could have gone better and how if the team plays like that in the Hockeyeast Semi-Finals they will get blown out of the garden. However, the team continues on and prepares for the semi's as their faithful fans play Monday morning QB all week. Yep, sounds about right.
              Right when I thought you were turning a corner, you revert right back to your insufferable self.

Comment

you've played this card before. not to mention, you were the one who predicted they would lose the beanpot
                “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
                  I'm surprised you know that UMass beat BC in the 2008-2009 season, but didn't know that Dainton was the game winning goalie.
                  Yeah you're right. For some reason I thought I had checked the box score of that game not that long ago and saw Meyers played instead of Dainton because I was curious to see if Dainton had ever beaten BC. Meyers played at least one of the games at BC that year (don't remember if he played the 2nd). I didn't actually go to the game at UMass that year but I do remember that BC lost in overtime, as that seemed to happen often that season. So my bad, Dainton has 2 wins against BC not 1. I think I got confused and saw his one ever win at Conte and thought it was his only ever win against BC.
                  Boston College '12
                  1949 2001 2008 2010 2012

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                    thanks your your response and i hope my comment didn't imply sarcasm as it wasn't supposed to. i should have had a smiley face in there .......it was more of a tongue and cheek remark. I am glad you will be making the games.
                    No problem. I rarely miss games between these two teams in any sport, my undergraduate alma mater vs my graduate alma mater. With the exception of the 7-1 shellacking (or whatever it was) the second half of last season, they usually play pretty good games. I hope this weekend is more of the same.

Originally posted by bcfan131 View Post
                    Meyers played at least one of the games at BC that year (don't remember if he played the 2nd). I didn't actually go to the game at UMass that year but I do remember that BC lost in overtime, as that seemed to happen often that season. So my bad, Dainton has 2 wins against BC not 1. I think I got confused and saw his one ever win at Conte and thought it was his only ever win against BC.
                    Meyers played the first game at BC that year, I'm pretty sure Dainton played the second at Conte that season, though I could be wrong. The losses don't stick out as much in my mind as the wins, though that might be because losses are unfortunately a lot more frequent nowadays so they're all blending together.

This is the first playoff weekend I've expected UMass to lose. How could you not pick BC here? It's just been that kind of season. UMass hasn't won a game in something like 6 weeks. As stated here on this thread a bunch, Dainton has to play the weekend of his life. Even if he does that, I could see UMass losing 2-1 one game and 3-0 the other. They just can't seem to get anything going on offense. I'm hoping it's because they have a really young team and the future will be better. Maybe not next year because they'll be playing an inexperienced goaltender, but perhaps the year after? We'll see.
                    #NewMass

Comment

Wow - a UMass thread going more than one post deep! Hope the Hockey team plays like it can and gives the Eagles a couple of good games. The young kids are beginning to look like D1 players. That weekend from HE!! with the combined 17 goals against let them know they can't take shifts off.

I think this series will be particularly well played. If there is a blow-out game 1, I wouldn't be surprised to see the other team to take the series in 3.
                      More Cowbell!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                        you've played this card before. not to mention, you were the one who predicted they would lose the beanpot
                        You mean the "enjoy the victory" card that won the NCAA championship last year? And I'll play it again. The only thing that matters from this point forward is wins. Don't care how, just have more goals than the opponent when the final buzzer sounds. Critiquing play when it's win or go home is pointless. If they are still playing after this weekend, enjoy it and look forward to the next rung on the ladder. Why all the angst against someone who doesn't believe in "they won but" during this time of year? Assuming they get through this weekend, it's win or go home, that's the only thing that matters.

And I was pleasantly surprised with the Beanpot championship. The team made an early statement about being able to win big games, and reiterated that statement again this past weekend. Hopefully sign of good things to come.
                        Last edited by Kenny; 03-09-2011, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HATSOFF View Post
                          Wow - a UMass thread going more than one post deep! Hope the Hockey team plays like it can and gives the Eagles a couple of good games. The young kids are beginning to look like D1 players. That weekend from HE!! with the combined 17 goals against let them know they can't take shifts off.
                          Thankfully, the team has played a lot better since then. Unfortunately, the better play has resulted in 0 wins.

On the bright side, UMass isn't in the worst situation right now. Playing with house money as the expression goes. If they get blown out, who cares? They're suppose to get blown out. If they do anything productive this weekend, it will end the season on a positive note and hopefully the momentum will carry over to next year.

Originally posted by HATSOFF View Post
                          I think this series will be particularly well played. If there is a blow-out game 1, I wouldn't be surprised to see the other team to take the series in 3.
                          As I don't see UMass blowing anyone out this year, hopefully your game 1 blowout followed by the reverse sweep theory comes true.
                          #NewMass

Comment

You mean the "enjoy the victory" card that won the NCAA championship last year? And I'll play it again. The only thing that matters from this point forward is wins. Don't care how, just have more goals than the opponent when the final buzzer sounds. Critiquing play when it's win or go home is pointless. If they are still playing after this weekend, enjoy it and look forward to the next rung on the ladder. Why all the angst against someone who doesn't believe in "they won but" during this time of year? Assuming they get through this weekend, it's win or go home, that's the only thing that matters.
                            For the 100th time, everyone enjoys when the team wins. The critiquing comes into play when trying to predict what will happen in FUTURE games. Why is this so hard for you to grasp? If BC were to win every game from this point forward 6-5, fine by me. But there's no guarantee that just because it happens once that it will happen again. There's no point in being a fan if you can't give your thoughts on what the team needs to improve on.

Comment

Originally posted by Zudnic View Post
                              Since their last win Jan 22 (!) UMass has gone 0-6-2 with a combined goal differential of six. In other words the six games they lost they lost by one goal and tied the other two. These were mostly against the top half of the league except one game vs PC. This included Maine, Merrimack and BC.
                              I must be looking at the wrong year or something.

According to hockeyeastonline.com, in the 12 games since after the weekend ending January 22-- UMA's last win, a 6-0 victory at Vermont, Amherst has gone 0-9-3, and been outscored by an aggregate of 48-25 in that span, a total goal differential of -23.

If you want to argue that the team has been playing teams close, you have to exclude the 11-2 loss to Merrimack and the 5-0 loss to BC. Maybe you meant only the home games, or only the away games, but I can't make those numbers work either, as they played 7 of those 12 on the road and 5 at home, so I still can't assemble a record of 0-6-2.

Losing by an average of 1 goal per game is not actually anywhere near as good as it sounds if over a long stretch. -23 over 12 games is an average differential of 1.92 goals per game. Removing the two "bad" statistical outlier losses brings it down to .9-- but that's still pretty large as an average over 10 games.

A difference of averaging one more goal per game in offense is the difference between BC's top league offense and #6 Northeastern's.

A difference of averaging one fewer goal per game allowed is the difference between BC's top leage defense and #7 Vermont's.

A difference of an average of one goal differential in combined offense/defense is the difference between #2 UNH (BC is an outlier here, so I'm discarding them) and #5 BU.

A difference of one goal, on average, over the span of a season is the difference between getting home ice and not getting it, or making the playoffs and not making it. And this is only throwing out the outlying losses.

Comment

Originally posted by dmjossel View Post
                                I must be looking at the wrong year or something.

According to hockeyeastonline.com, in the 12 games since after the weekend ending January 22-- UMA's last win, a 6-0 victory at Vermont, Amherst has gone 0-9-3, and been outscored by an aggregate of 48-25 in that span, a total goal differential of -23.

no, you have the right year just the wrong span of games, they are talking about the last 8, not the last 12. i know you'd like to include Mack's 11-2 thrashing but that's not included in the last 8. they are indeed 0-6-2 losing 2 of the 6 in OT and the other 4 by a goal as well, hence the reason for the bit about their improvement

Comment

Working...
                                X