Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern at Boston University HEA Quarterfinals

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
    Regardless of how many power plays BU got, though, that doesn't make it acceptable to miss an interference that led directly to a goal. Especially when Parker had already called the refs out for missing the same thing last weekend. They should've been looking for NU to do that and they obviously weren't. They called it once, but I saw two or three other times on top of the goal when it could've been called.
    When did Parker become supervisor of officials?

Originally posted by BigRedTerrier View Post
    Because at this point, Jack should know why those were no calls and then exploit that tactic on face-offs for his own guys no?
    Bingo.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
      I don't think BC does. They list 7,884 for every single sellout, don't tell me there are zero no-shows for each game.
      BC does list attendance per the number of tickets scanned. I'm not sure what the sellout deal is but they probably have more than 7884 tickets sold somehow and once that number gets scanned in they can't report over 100% capacity. God knows the ******** neighbors in the area would try to sue BC or call 911 (think of them like Canadiens fans, only less rational and logical).
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRedTerrier View Post
        So, on that, do the coaches get to talk to the refs after the game to get a further explanation of things? Because at this point, Jack should know why those were no calls and then exploit that tactic on face-offs for his own guys no?
        I have no idea what sort of explanation Parker got after last weekend or after last night. I know that the refs completely ignored him after both goals, though. As for it being any sort of tactic, it's pretty easy to figure out- you run into the guy next to you, prevent him from getting where he wants, and hope the ref doesn't notice.

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        When did Parker become supervisor of officials?
        So if this was happening against BC and York said something to the refs about keeping an eye on them doing this, you think it would be OK for them to just ignore him and not call it? BU shouldn't have to change the way they take faceoffs and start cheating themselves. That's called taking officiating into your own hands. The refs should just pay attention and call the penalties and then it wouldn't be a problem. I fail to see the logic in saying that Parker is the one who needs to fix this, not the refs.
        Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

When did Parker become supervisor of officials? ..
          ..when did he resign to begin with?
          GO NU HOCKEY
          Always bullish on the future.
          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
            Are we really complaining that BU got the short end of the stick from the refs?
            No. NU certainly had at least one bad call go against them. And BU didn't lose because of one or two missed calls, that's for sure. But it is pretty bad when the same thing happens two games in a row and the refs fail to call it each time.
            Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

BU shouldn't have to change the way they take faceoffs and start cheating themselves. That's called taking officiating into your own hands. The refs should just pay attention and call the penalties and then it wouldn't be a problem. I fail to see the logic in saying that Parker is the one who needs to fix this, not the refs.
              Couldn't disagree with this more...by that argument, a pitcher who believes that an ump's strike zone is too narrow should keep painting that outside black and wait for the ump to change. Great moral argument, but you're still going to walk everyone.

I don't doubt that the play is illegal by the book. But we don't live in the book. If the refs don't call it, it's not a penalty and it's fair game for both sides

Comment

No. NU certainly had at least one bad call go against them. And BU didn't lose because of one or two missed calls, that's for sure. But it is pretty bad when the same thing happens two games in a row and the refs fail to call it each time.
                FD.. do me a favor.. take a look at last night's tape.. check out the last penalty on NU (Braden Pimm given 2 mins for 'charging')... the one that gave you guys the 6x4 (with empty net).. tell me if that was a legit call by any standard.

Here's hoping for another good game tonight..
                (hopefully not decided by the refs).. just as last night's wasn't.
                GO NU HOCKEY
                Always bullish on the future.
                We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

So if this was happening against BC and York said something to the refs about keeping an eye on them doing this, you think it would be OK for them to just ignore him and not call it? BU shouldn't have to change the way they take faceoffs and start cheating themselves. That's called taking officiating into your own hands. The refs should just pay attention and call the penalties and then it wouldn't be a problem. I fail to see the logic in saying that Parker is the one who needs to fix this, not the refs.
                  I just didn't like the way you worded it. You made it sound as if Parker calling them out absolutely means something had to be done about it. If that were the case with every complaint a coach had, we'd have major issues. Parker might not like the fact that interference went uncalled, but if it's not gonna be called, you absolutely adjust to that and play differently. If you don't, you're only hurting yourself.

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                  ..when did he resign to begin with?
                  Well played.

Comment

I just didn't like the way you worded it. You made it sound as if Parker calling them out absolutely means something had to be done about it. If that were the case with every complaint a coach had, we'd have major issues. Parker might not like the fact that interference went uncalled, but if it's not gonna be called, you absolutely adjust to that and play differently. If you don't, you're only hurting yourself.
                    I mean, I guess you're right that if they're not going to call it, you have to adjust. But they did call it once, so it's not like they're completely ignoring it. They're just not calling it consistently. Also, just knowing hockey the way I know it, I'd be willing to bet that if BU starts doing it, they'll get called for it. Always seems like the retaliator is the one who gets caught.

I guess my main point is just that it shouldn't have gotten to the point where BU needs to change the way they take faceoffs and think about interfering with guys themselves. What NU does (and it's not every faceoff BTW) is the definition of interference. It should be called every time it happens, not just once out of every three or four.

Comment

I agree that consistency is the biggest issue, but even then, human nature sets in. No ref wants to be the guy that calls everything. Teams will always try and push the envelope to see what they can get away with...

Comment

I agree that consistency is the biggest issue, but even then, human nature sets in. No ref wants to be the guy that calls everything. Teams will always try and push the envelope to see what they can get away with...
                        I just relooked at the video, and it is in fact blatant interference on McNeely. He's not making any attempt to play the puck off the faceoff, instead he's just setting a pick on Megan, preventing him from playing the NU guy who received the faceoff, allowing an uncontested shot.

Of course, this did not determine the game in any way, shape, or form, and Millan probably should've had it, but FL's point about consistency is correct. It's far worse to call it once, than it is to never call it. At least then you're indirectly allowing the other team to do it. I haven't noticed them doing it over the last few games, but I don't really pay attention to those kind of plays off faceoffs, so I'm not a good person to judge. But looking at the replay, that's got to be called.

And after rewatching again, my god, that third goal is soft.
                        time to write new history

Comment

• Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                          No one from Northeastern argued the call. I thought it hit all post, but I thought it at least warranted a review. But if Cronin didn't feel the need to say anything, then I'd say there's a good chance it wasn't a goal.
                          If were talking about the third period goal, that went in i think. It hit pad near the post. I was in the second row behind Millan. Had a great vantage point.
                          Last edited by nufan2001; 03-11-2011, 11:45 AM.
                          ..Withstanding pain at Matthews since Trevor Reschny was a freshman..
                          ...Cover Boston news and sports for Dirty Water Media http://dirtywatermedia.com/
                          .....@RealJayKenney on twitter https://twitter.com/RealJayKenney

Comment

Originally posted by nufan2001 View Post
                            If were talking about the third period goal, that went in. It hit pad near the post. I was in the second row behind Millan. Had a great vantage point.
                            There's no way that hit a pad, I could hear a pipe clang on the other end of the rink. And it wouldn't shoot back out that hard off padding. Again, if no one argued for a replay, including the shooter and his coach, I'm inclined to believe them over a guy in the stands who thought he saw it hit something.

Comment

• Originally posted by slurpees View Post
                              There's no way that hit a pad, I could hear a pipe clang on the other end of the rink. And it wouldn't shoot back out that hard off padding. Again, if no one argued for a replay, including the shooter and his coach, I'm inclined to believe them over a guy in the stands who thought he saw it hit something.
                              It was a rocket... it got the spot right inside of the post in the net. Doesn't matter now
                              ..Withstanding pain at Matthews since Trevor Reschny was a freshman..
                              ...Cover Boston news and sports for Dirty Water Media http://dirtywatermedia.com/
                              .....@RealJayKenney on twitter https://twitter.com/RealJayKenney

Comment

Originally posted by nufan2001 View Post
                                It was a rocket... it got the spot right inside of the post in the net. Doesn't matter now
                                Doesn't matter if it's a rocket, only to prove more that your view of it likely was skewed. A puck doesn't shoot back out of the net nearly as hard as it was shot when it hits padding. Laws of physics. Padding also doesn't make a clanging noise. Plus, the design of a net is designed to corral the puck so it doesn't shoot back out so quick like that in the same direction it came in. Again, I don't know if it went in, but the evidence that's being presented only proves that it did not.

Comment

Working...
                                X