PSU already recruiting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSU already recruiting?

Just checked out the Chris Heisenberg's 2011 committment list and they have players listed as Penn State recruits....maybe this has been posted already and if so my apologies, but how is that happening? Who is recruiting? Or are these players committing to their club program in hopes of catching on as walk ons?

Re: PSU already recruiting?

Penn State has a hockey operations guy in place. I don't know his name off the top of my head, but I heard he has had a prominent role in their club program. He has been travelling around to visit with current D1 programs to learn the in's and out's of running a D1 team.
    The kids that are on Heisenberg as commits will be 20 and 21 years old this fall, so they will be playing for the club team and then staying on as the program makes its transition into D1.
    "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

It makes sense to me to bring in a few D-1 caliber recruits early so they won't have a recruiting class of 25 in the first year. This can lead to having to rebuild with big freshmen classes every 4 years, a problem Union had early on in their development and one that RMU still has a bit of.
      UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

.......but how do you get D-1 caliber recruits to play club hockey for a year or more? Can't believe many are willing to make that sort of sacrifice for an upstart program that will inevitably take their lumps at the beginning. I would think any such prospects who commit early would be marginal D-1 prospects at best. I think it's just going to take some time, pure speculation on my part.
        Cornell '92, Michigan '97 - Go Red! Go Blue!
        I flex a real hard juice card.

Comment

Originally posted by MoFan View Post
          .......but how do you get D-1 caliber recruits to play club hockey for a year or more? Can't believe many are willing to make that sort of sacrifice for an upstart program that will inevitably take their lumps at the beginning. I would think any such prospects who commit early would be marginal D-1 prospects at best. I think it's just going to take some time, pure speculation on my part.
          Yes, and not knowing who the coach is going to be. Anyone know if a search has started yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
            Yes, and not knowing who the coach is going to be. Anyone know if a search has started yet?
            Gwoz has already given a verbal.
            Originally posted by vizoroo
            Thought you had picked the avatar so we could id you. Guess he fooled me too.
            Originally posted by duper
            I obviously missed it, but it sounds like some idiot from CC took trolling to a whole new, totally inappropriate level.

I was well over the borderline. I figured I would meet you on your turf.
            Every time you post like an *******, I want to quote the idiotic comment you made where you claim not to be a troll. You're such a dick.
            Originally posted by dggoddard
            Finally you made me laugh.

There may be hope for you yet.

Comment

Originally posted by MoFan View Post
              .......but how do you get D-1 caliber recruits to play club hockey for a year or more?
              I dunno, "free college education at a top-tier academic university" sounds like a pretty good lure to me.

Especially to the type of player who would make a good junior or senior leader for the first year or two of Penn State's varsity program.

No, they're not going to be attracting potential future NHL draft picks at this point in the process, but they're probably not going to be attracting future NHL draft picks for the first few years of the varsity program either.
              UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
                I dunno, "free college education at a top-tier academic university" sounds like a pretty good lure to me.

Especially to the type of player who would make a good junior or senior leader for the first year or two of Penn State's varsity program.

No, they're not going to be attracting potential future NHL draft picks at this point in the process, but they're probably not going to be attracting future NHL draft picks for the first few years of the varsity program either.
                I doubt anyone "committing" to PSU at this point is being offer anything more than a good opportunity to tryout for the varsity program when it happens

Comment

Originally posted by pinch View Post
                  I doubt anyone "committing" to PSU at this point is being offer anything more than a good opportunity to tryout for the varsity program when it happens
                  That looks like the type of players that are listed on Heisenberg's list for PSU.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The official word is that they will start it immediately after the season, but they are already compiling a list of candidates. They don't want to disrupt anyone's season. I figure they will have their man shortly after the Frozen Four at the latest, and earlier than that if their top candidates don't make it that far.
                    BOSTON UNIVERSITY TERRIERS
                    CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY SPARTANS

UNH - 1985 NCAA Women's Lacrosse Champions!

2003-2004 D-III Tournament of Posters Champion
                    2010 NFL Survival Pool Champion
                    2014 NFL Survival Pool Co-Champion

Comment

I believe John Hill has a double secret probation handshake deal already in place.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                        I believe John Hill has a double secret probation handshake deal already in place.
                        Easy. Don't get Gopher fans excited.

Comment

Story from the WSJ (Madison) today:

http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...cc4c03286.html

Penn state will interview Mark Johnson for head coaching job

(Insert Hypertext Link not working)
                          Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post

Good work.

Comment

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post

Great move by PSU as Mark definitely deserves a shot as head coach of a D-1 men's team. That would put Mark, Eaves and Gwoz from the 1977 NCAA championhsip team as coaches of major men's D-1 programs.
                              DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Working...
                              X