Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Conference playoffs scary teams

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
    Hockey East, I'd rather not see Northeastern again. They seem to match up well vs. BC.
    I think Northeastern would have to be the worst QF draw right now. They are playing well, keeping pace with the top teams and just seem to have a lot of jump right now. To make matters worse they are not a TUC and a loss is going to hurt in the PWR, especially if you are BU or ME and are 15th in the PWR. For either of these teams a loss to a hard charging NU team will be the end to their season. To make matters worse, as it currently stands BU has the likley possibility of playing them 4 straight games...

Terriers are not in a very scary spot, despite what that fanboy mpeirier thinks
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Do four-man teams qualify in this discussion?

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
        I think any of the top WCHA teams would love to play Yale or Union, what they don't want to see is another gd WCHA team in their path.
        So true. Most WCHA teams other than Bemidji, UAA, Mankato, and Tech have depth and can roll out 4 scoring lines. Yale or Union seem to have depth also but not like some of the WCHA teams.

WCHA is such a grind and is so physical that the best teams comming out of the WCHA at the end of the season are those skating four lines without injuries. First time in years where North Dakota is somewhat healthy at the end of the season. Not like the walking wounded we saw last year. Also a Dean Blais coached UNO is looking scary good. DU, UMD, Wisconsin, and Minnesota seem to be playing well but also seem to have some inconsistent play lately.

Looking forward to some great hockey in a few weeks.
        Last edited by SoCalSiouxFan; 03-02-2011, 11:08 AM.
        "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by felizmiguel View Post
          I know I'm the third one to jump on this boat but I'd say NU. I think Maine has a round worth of scariness but I don't think they're consistent enough to win the whole thing.
          Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
          I think Northeastern would have to be the worst QF draw right now. They are playing well, keeping pace with the top teams and just seem to have a lot of jump right now. To make matters worse they are not a TUC and a loss is going to hurt in the PWR, especially if you are BU or ME and are 15th in the PWR. For either of these teams a loss to a hard charging NU team will be the end to their season. To make matters worse, as it currently stands BU has the likley possibility of playing them 4 straight games...

Terriers are not in a very scary spot, despite what that fanboy mpeirier thinks
          If we're strictly going off of right now, I say Maine is more dangerous than NU. The way I have it unfolding is Maine beats BU in the QFs. NU-Mack would be pretty interesting...

As for the WCHA lovefest, maybe they'll actually win the title for the first time since 2006...

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            As for the WCHA lovefest, maybe they'll actually win the title for the first time since 2006...
            You realize the title of thread says conference playoffs right? Or can no fans of a WCHA team come in here and talk about that conference's playoffs here?
            Last edited by state of hockey; 03-02-2011, 12:47 PM.
            the state of hockey is good

Comment

J.D. is right. Not winning a NC for four entire years is quite the dry spell for the WCHA. For HE or the CCHA, it would probably be just business as usual since the WCHA routinely dominates, but for the WCHA it's a major disappointment.
              Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
              when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
              Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

If we're strictly going off of right now, I say Maine is more dangerous than NU. The way I have it unfolding is Maine beats BU in the QFs.
                Why did Timmay find a goaltender? ME is dangerous come Garden Time, I don't see them getting through a 3 game set, even if it is against BU. Unfortunately that will likely knock them out of NCAA consideration.

I do agree a NU v MC will be an interesting match up. I think NU is playing really well right now, but MC is soooo tough at Lawler
                Originally posted by Hokydad
                Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                  You realize the title of thread says conference playoffs right? Or can no fans of a WCHA team come in here and talk about that conference's playoffs here?
                  Whoosh. Sorry, I should have quoted SoCalSiouxFan and others to make it clear.

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                  J.D. is right. Not winning a NC for four entire years is quite the dry spell for the WCHA. For HE or the CCHA, it would probably be just business as usual since the WCHA routinely dominates, but for the WCHA it's a major disappointment.
                  I'll just throw out a random year...let's say since 1993. Both the WCHA and HE have produced seven national champions. Since '98, 6-5 lead for the big, bad WCHA.

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                  Why did Timmay find a goaltender? ME is dangerous come Garden Time, I don't see them getting through a 3 game set, even if it is against BU. Unfortunately that will likely knock them out of NCAA consideration.
                  Looks like he may have in Sullivan. I just think they're a much more talented team than BU.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                    Dunno what the basis of that statement is. I know SCSU has played well lately. That said, does the truth hurt?

I have no particular hatred for SCSU or anything like that. It's my mom's alma mater, for crying out loud. She grew up in St Cloud! Her mom's brother played at SCSU, too!

This is my Uncle Larry Anderson, back row, third from the left:

http://i209.***********.com/albums/b...s/1948SCSU.jpg

.........a member of SCSU's 1947-1948 team.

I stand by my original statement and apologize for nothing. UNO owned SCSU this year and we have no reason whatsoever to fear playing them again. If you have some sort of compelling argument otherwise on the topic, I am all ears. But, I can't even begin to imagine what it might be.
                    Ugh. Stupid SCSU...ruined NMU's run in the NCAAs :P Something about SCSU never winning...something something. Ive seem to have blocked that part out. :P
                    Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                    1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                    2006-2007: 15-24-2
                    2007-2008: 20-20-4
                    2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Whoosh. Sorry, I should have quoted SoCalSiouxFan and others to make it clear.
                      Gotcha. By all means, flame away then.
                      the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by 5hole View Post
                        As for our skaters in front of either of them, I will take them over any CHA team.
                        I'd take just about anyone over any CHA team at this point in time, wouldn't you?

Old habits must die hard, eh?
                        Can't we all just get along?
                        Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
                          Ugh. Stupid SCSU...ruined NMU's run in the NCAAs :P Something about SCSU never winning...something something. Ive seem to have blocked that part out. :P
                          I had your back that afternoon/night....just didn't quite work out right.
                          "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Others have already made a pretty compelling argument for SCSU as the WCHA's most dangerous underdog, so I'll go with MSU-Mankato as another team that shouldn't be overlooked. I don't know the exact figures in terms of where they're most likely to end up in the first round, but it sounds like a trip to Duluth might be in the cards. They showed moments of greatness against UMD a few weeks back, won Friday night, and were on the board first in Saturdays game. They played UND hard, and lead going into the third during both games. The offense might not always show up, but they have a goalie in Phil Cook who can steal games for them. Definitely a team that could play spoiler in the first round.
                            '59, '63, '80, '82, '87, '97, '00, [BANNER PENDING]

Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

I'll just throw out a random year...let's say since 1993. Both the WCHA and HE have produced seven national champions. Since '98, 6-5 lead for the big, bad WCHA.
                              Or we can look at it...say...1985. WCHA has won 10, Hockey East has won 7.

What's fun, is that the WCHA has won 35 titles in its history, CCHA 8, Hockey East 7, ECAC 7, Independents 5, Tri-State 1.
                              North Dakota
                              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                                Dunno what the basis of that statement is. I know SCSU has played well lately. That said, does the truth hurt?

I have no particular hatred for SCSU or anything like that. It's my mom's alma mater, for crying out loud. She grew up in St Cloud! Her mom's brother played at SCSU, too!

This is my Uncle Larry Anderson, back row, third from the left:

http://i209.***********.com/albums/b...s/1948SCSU.jpg

.........a member of SCSU's 1947-1948 team.

I stand by my original statement and apologize for nothing. UNO owned SCSU this year and we have no reason whatsoever to fear playing them again. If you have some sort of compelling argument otherwise on the topic, I am all ears. But, I can't even begin to imagine what it might be.
                                That's the best part.... you hear the laughing, you look around and don't see anyone they all could be laughing at, and yet you still reason "Nah... they can't be laughing at me." Seriously, you and VW should Skype or Tweet together or something.

Originally posted by MavRick View Post
                                Also the latest "UNO is good this year so I'm going to start posting on USCHO like I PNZ0RZ!" poster.

WCHA tourney, in general, is going to be major. Only Tech and Mankato would truly surprise me winning it this year. Even Wisconsin, which has been in free-fall, could easily catch itself and get going again.

And for what it's worth, SCSU and Bemidji scare me the worst.
                                I'd add in that list of teams not a threat to win it UAA. Their problem is they play well at home, but they don't play well when they don't have the comfort of seeing Alaska from their home. So until they finally host a playoff series and the Final 5 is moved to Moscow, they're in trouble.

Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
                                So true. Most WCHA teams other than Bemidji, UAA, Mankato, and Tech have depth and can roll out 4 scoring lines. Yale or Union seem to have depth also but not like some of the WCHA teams.

WCHA is such a grind and is so physical that the best teams comming out of the WCHA at the end of the season are those skating four lines without injuries. First time in years where North Dakota is somewhat healthy at the end of the season. Not like the walking wounded we saw last year. Also a Dean Blais coached UNO is looking scary good. DU, UMD, Wisconsin, and Minnesota seem to be playing well but also seem to have some inconsistent play lately.

Looking forward to some great hockey in a few weeks.
                                Serious question: (in this thread? I KNOW!) Are Genoway and Kristo done for the season? I'd heard they were, but if one or both isn't, yeah, I'd say they're finally somewhat healthy. But if they're both done, I wouldn't label them as such.
                                tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Working...
                                X