Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nescac Playoffs Final 4

Weslyan is a tough #8 seed, Purdy will have to be the difference maker
    Bowdoin had had Colby's number for awhile including last years playoff OT thriller. I expect another OT game, but I think Bowdoin may have too much and will pull it out. All four teams deserve to be in the final four, Middlebury never got it together, Hamilton is a team on the rise, but has to learn what it takes to win in the playoffs, they should be very good next year, the Vesprini era ends at trinity, he was terrific. And Amherst played great but lost to a very strong team. It would be nice for one of the old guard to get their first NESCAC championship. This league will be great next year and the playoffs will be even better since it will be the third time the teams will have met. looking forward to the weekend at Williams

Re: Nescac Playoffs Final 4

I'm looking forward to it too, even though I don't "have a horse in the race"
    Should be some good close games. I'm still thinking that Bowdoin will end up on top with Williams being the runner up.
    from behind the iron curtain...

Comment

Also looking forward to the games. I plan on making the Williams Saturday game and the sunday game. Off to Army for the AIC Saturday night playoff game at 7pm.

Comment

NESCAC semi-final team records vs. qualifiers

...............Won..Lost

Bowdoin:....2......1.......(Colby W 3-2; Williams W 3-2; Wesleyan L 6-3)

Colby:........2......1.......(Williams W 6-3; Wesleyan W 4-2; Bowdoin L 3-2)

Williams:.....1......2.......(Wesleyan W 3-2; Colby L 6-3; Bowdoin L 3-2)

Wesleyan:...1......2.......(Bowdoin W 6-3; Colby L 4-2; Williams L 3-2)
        Mule Train, 2018 NESCAC Champs, made it to the Frozen Four

Comment

Re: NESCAC semi-final team records vs. qualifiers

I believe that any of the teams could win, I like Colby's chances. They play well on the road and McKinney can steal games. They have lost twice to Bowdoin, who does not play well away from their own rink and will be looking to avenge these losses. Bowdoin did win the away game at Colby and last week at Amherst among key road wins.
          Middlebury Hockey....The Greatest DIII Show on Skates

Comment

Originally posted by neumyer View Post
            I believe that any of the teams could win, I like Colby's chances. They play well on the road and McKinney can steal games. They have lost twice to Bowdoin, who does not play well away from their own rink and will be looking to avenge these losses. Bowdoin did win the away game at Colby and last week at Amherst among key road wins.
            Last year Colby won the two regular season games and lost to Bowdoin in overtime in the quarter finals. It's hard to beat a team three times in a row.

Comment

I can't wait for these games. Here's my breakdown:

#5 Bowdoin vs. #6 Colby: A few weeks ago I would have given Bowdoin the advantage here. These two old rivals always put on an unbelievable show when they meet, likely because a) Most players on the two rosters ultimately had to choose between Bowdoin and Colby, thus the players are all pretty similar. b) Meaghar and Torts know everything about each other and each other's team. c) These are two perennially excellent teams. Bowdoin has the skill advantage, as I don't think anyone on the Colby roster has the natural talent of Weiniger or Shear-Hardy and maybe even Fanning (although Doherty and Crinnion are certainly capable of taking over a game). However, I think Colby will come out on top here. Not only have they been trending up the past few weeks (while Bowdoin's been plummeting), but, goaltending-wise, McKinney has always been spectacular in the playoffs. Last year's OT loss vs. Bowdoin saw him put up an absurd number of saves, and his freshman year he was lights-out, although he met his match in Vesprini's absurd 2008 post-season play.

#2 Williams vs. #8 Wesleyan: For how great a game the Bowdoin/Colby match will shape out to be, I see this one being a blow-out. Potter's squad just doesn't have the talent to match up to a Williams team that, in my opinion, is far more talented than Hamilton. The Williams squad also has a much more playoff-seasoned squad. And with Purdy in net, there's just no way that Wesleyan will be able to compete with Kangas' squad on home ice.

Predictions:

Bowdoin 2, Colby 4 (with ENG)
              Wesleyan 1, Williams 5

FINAL: Colby 3, Williams 2
              NESCAC Champ: Colby (by a hair)

Comment

Originally posted by CH2010 View Post
                And with Purdy in net, there's just no way that Wesleyan will be able to compete with Kangas' squad on home ice.

Predictions:

Bowdoin 2, Colby 4 (with ENG)
                Wesleyan 1, Williams 5

FINAL: Colby 3, Williams 2
                NESCAC Champ: Colby (by a hair)
                Pretty ballsy considering we're talking NESCAC!
                from behind the iron curtain...

Comment

Bowdoin has the most big game experience of any team remaining in the tournament, having reached the NESCAC final and then played a road NCAA game (albeit disasterous) with many of the same guys last season. That should help as historically they play with a great deal of emotion (for better or worse), especially in the tournament and in any game against Colby. Colby always seems to execute a smart game plan and rarely loses composure. Should be a great game. GO U BEARS

In the other semi, I'm not as familiar with these teams, but I'll be interested to see how Williams plays it. Several years in my mind they have had one of the most talented teams in the league, and have shown it at times, but I can't remember them ever actually putting themselves in a position like this, a legit contender to win the league late, the pressure on them. Wesleyan, on the other hand, has virtually no history in the postseason, nothing to lose and should come in confident having just beaten the 1 seed on the road -- that probably made their season already. Will be fun to see how each responds

With Midd gone, Bowdoin should win this thing.

Comment

Video for the semifinals

Williams will be providing video for both games this afternoon at http://www.teamline.cc/sportpage?tea...6&eventcode=25. The last time I watched a game on their site the streaming worked quite well, even on my crappy system. However, the announcers were drowned out by the crowd noise even though it was a sparsely attended game.

Comment

Re: Video for the semifinals

Originally posted by OhioMule View Post
                      the announcers were drowned out by the crowd noise even though it was a sparsely attended game.
                      Will be funny to see the Williams rink full of people for a game (presuming it will be), I can't remember or even picture anything but dark, freezing cold nights and small crowds there, I wonder when they last time it sold out for a hockey game was.

Comment

Originally posted by Natural Ice View Post
                        Will be funny to see the Williams rink full of people for a game (presuming it will be), I can't remember or even picture anything but dark, freezing cold nights and small crowds there, I wonder when they last time it sold out for a hockey game was.
                        Well, it's free admission, so the attendance numbers are exaggerated/completely made up. Biggest crowd I saw was against Middlebury in 2004, place was pretty full, still some empty seats though.

Comment

Last year Colby won the two regular season games and lost to Bowdoin in overtime in the quarter finals. It's hard to beat a team three times in a row.
                          It's hard, but not impossible if you're the better team. Colby is well coached and always plays with a lot of heart but the White Muleles' talent level this year was a bit lower than the Polar Bears' or the Ephs'.

I predict that Colby will have a fine team and will finish in the NESCAC top four next season, making the Maine trip to Brunswick and Waterville the hardest in the league.

Comment

Williams will be providing video for both games this afternoon at http://www.teamline.cc/sportpage?tea...6&eventcode=25. The last time I watched a game on their site the streaming worked quite well, even on my crappy system. However, the announcers were drowned out by the crowd noise even though it was a sparsely attended game.
                            I watched the three games on the Williams webcast. It was a bit hard at times to hear the announcers on Saturday (I had to use earphones for the semifinal games) but the problem was corrected in the final between the first and second periods.

I think the announcers did an excellent job. Only in the third period of the championship game did they show any partisanship, and even then it wasn't expressed in a loud or vociferous manner. They displayed quite a bit of fair play and had many complimentary things to say about Bowdoin, which indeed played a great game both offensively and defensively, and deserved to win.

Thanks to Williams College for providing the feed and especially to the announcers for doing a very professional job.

Comment

Working...
                            X