Hockey East Tournament Format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey East Tournament Format

So as I sat there for a nervous 55 minutes, I had plenty of time to think about the Hockey East tournament format. Unlike the WCHA and ECAC, HE plays a single elimination game (vs. 2 out of 3).

Does anyone know why? Is it the coaches choice? For one thing, it sure puts the pressure on, but I sort of like 2 out of 3. Opinions?

Re: Hockey East Tournament Format

Well you're missing the other huge difference -- that there are two byes in Hockey East and none in the other leagues. I don't know the precise rationale, but perhaps the league didn't want its 3-6 teams to have potentially three more games the weekend before the semifinals. Now the ECAC men do this now for their first round leading up to quarterfinals, but that's a rarity in college hockey history -- the ECAC used to have a single game for a 7-10, 8-9 round. Most leagues have done single elimination for bye rounds throughout history.

I expect that if Hockey East goes to 2 of 3, then they'll do it while expanding the playoffs to 8 teams. I think it made sense back when any given year they had 2 pretty awful teams. Now this season you had a half-decent team UNH and a competitive Vermont team miss the playoffs. I think it's likely they'll expand to an 8 team best of 3 quarterfinal format like everyone else sometime soon. That's pure speculation, I have no inside knowledge of this -- but I think Hockey East's timing in gradually expanding their playoffs has been fairly predictable.

Comment

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
      Well you're missing the other huge difference -- that there are two byes in Hockey East and none in the other leagues. I don't know the precise rationale, but perhaps the league didn't want its 3-6 teams to have potentially three more games the weekend before the semifinals. Now the ECAC men do this now for their first round leading up to quarterfinals, but that's a rarity in college hockey history -- the ECAC used to have a single game for a 7-10, 8-9 round. Most leagues have done single elimination for bye rounds throughout history.

I expect that if Hockey East goes to 2 of 3, then they'll do it while expanding the playoffs to 8 teams. I think it made sense back when any given year they had 2 pretty awful teams. Now this season you had a half-decent team UNH and a competitive Vermont team miss the playoffs. I think it's likely they'll expand to an 8 team best of 3 quarterfinal format like everyone else sometime soon. That's pure speculation, I have no inside knowledge of this -- but I think Hockey East's timing in gradually expanding their playoffs has been fairly predictable.
      I don't see Hockey East expanding or going to a best of three format if they do. Budgets are tight, ice demands are tight, the crowds are small to begin with, and the single elimination works just fine.

Comment

BU and Northeastern are tied 2-2 in the second period. Wakefield with both BU goals, Wohlfeiler and Marty for the Huskies. Marie-Philip Poulin has apparently returned to action.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          BU and Northeastern are tied 2-2 in the second period. Wakefield with both BU goals, Wohlfeiler and Marty for the Huskies. Marie-Philip Poulin has apparently returned to action.
          At the game right now and she has not been playing well. They may have forced her back too early but then again Id rather have her at less than 100% than an avg player at 100. We'll see how this works out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumbles View Post
            At the game right now and she has not been playing well. They may have forced her back too early but then again Id rather have her at less than 100% than an avg player at 100. We'll see how this works out.
            Well I'd rather she start to get back in game shape now rather than next week.

Also there's some chance the NCAA downgrades BU's seed from 3 if she can't play. Never happened before in women's hockey, but it's in the handbook just like men's basketball, where it's quite common.

Comment

Northeastern wins 4-2. Santostefano and Wohlfeiler again. Schelling with 44 saves.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                Northeastern wins 4-2. Santostefano and Wohlfeiler again. Schelling with 44 saves.
                Go NU!!!!!

Chip

Comment

Originally posted by chippy View Post
                  Go NU!!!!!
                  *****http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/5892/iconcheer.gif******

wooooooooooot!
                  (where the heart beats)

bleep.

Comment

I didn't want to say anything earlier for fear of jinxing it but I think my point is still valid.

This is the 2nd year that they have done the quarterfinals in this format, with the 1st and 2nd teams getting byes.

Both teams last year and one team this year (really wish it were two!!) Were from the quarter final games.

That extra weekend of games really helps to get the teams ready for playoffs.

I also predict they will go the 8 team format sooner rather than later.

Comment

Working...
                    X