WCHA Playoffs '11.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WCHA Playoffs '11.0

Just thougth I'd start a playoff specific thread (I don't think I saw one yet).

First Round:

WI v SCSU

UMD v MSU

MN v OSU

UND v BSU

I'm not seeing any big upsets in this first round, though the UND v BSU might end up going 3 games. Ordinarily I'd predict at least one close game between OSU and MN but it appears that OSU is pretty banged up and MN has had a great 2nd half.

Round two will be quite different though . . . and will most likely be one of the best ever WCHA tournaments.

Re: WCHA Playoffs '11.0

First Round:

WI v SCSU - IMO, it is a moral victory for the Huskies if they get within 5 goals in either game.

UMD v MSU - The Mav's go down in two. One game will be ugly, the other will be closer -- but only like 3-goal differential close.

MN v OSU - The Buckeyes will either win a game or force OT in one. I don't think they can take two, but I've been wrong before.

UND v BSU - I think this does go three. Bemidji is a tough postseason opponent because they are tough to score against so pressure mounts on the favorite. They just can't give up a goal on the first shift like they did in the WCHA semi last year.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

WI v SCSU: Really? Does it need analyzing?

UMD v MSU: The Bulldogs shut out the Mavericks three of out of four games this season and dominated with a combined score of 21-2 for the four games. And the first series was before the Bulldogs decided to start playing their game. Two easy games for UMD.

MN v OSU: This one goes three. OSU upsets the Gophers. You heard it here first.

UND v BSU: The Sioux take two close games if they can stay out of the box.

Comment

I'm not seeing any big upsets in the first round. But if there is an upset, are the teams reseeded when they get to the Final Face-off at Ridder so that the top remaining team plays the lowest remaining team? Or are the brackets already set up including this first round?
        University of North Dakota
        NCAA National Champions:
        1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000...

WCHA Champions:
        1958, 1963, 1965, 1967, 1979, 1980, 1982,
        1987, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2009, 2011

Women's National Champions: 201?

Comment

Originally posted by dakotadan View Post
          But if there is an upset, are the teams reseeded when they get to the Final Face-off at Ridder so that the top remaining team plays the lowest remaining team?
          Yes, this is correct. The highest remaining seed plays the lowest remaining seed, and the two teams that finished between the highest and lowest play each another.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

WCHA playoff picture from the WCHA website:

http://www.wcha.com/women/presarch/201102/feb22wcw.php
            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

[QUOTE=JosephPSchmoe;5046692]

MN v OSU: This one goes three. OSU upsets the Gophers. You heard it here first.

The way the Big Three and ND have handled OSU this year; this would rate as a borderline miracle. I'm surprised that an athletically prestigious university like OSU seems to tolerate such a below average performing team year after year. Their coaches seem to tout all the Olympians and National team players that have been or are current members of OSU teams; but yet teams are not successful. This year there are five current or past national team players on team; yet similar dismal team results. But maybe OSU is destined to be the women's hockey counterpart to the MN Gophers in Big Ten football.

Comment

Originally posted by xwildfan View Post
                But maybe OSU is destined to be the women's hockey counterpart to the MN Gophers in Big Ten football.
                I'd have to witness the Buckeye women get whopped by several DIII teams before I'd buy that comparison.
                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                  I'd have to witness the Buckeye women get whopped by several DIII teams before I'd buy that comparison.
                  Very true. Although haven't noticed any DIII teams on their schedule; perhaps have learned that might not be a good idea; probably not allowed anyway. They do play and have struggled against a Canadian college ? team, Wilfred Laurier the last couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by xwildfan View Post
                    MN v OSU: This one goes three. OSU upsets the Gophers. You heard it here first...The way the Big Three and ND have handled OSU this year; this would rate as a borderline miracle...But maybe OSU is destined to be the women's hockey counterpart to the MN Gophers in Big Ten football.
                    xwildfan's, I think you were a bit inconsistent in your post.

First, I agree that it is entirely possible that OSU will beat the Gophers two out of three this weekend. And I think most would agree that based on each team's record and where they are seeded this would be regarded as an upset. But I don't think anyone here would think of OSU winning the series as a miracle, or even a "borderline miracle". The Buckeyes have too much talent for that! As you point out they have "five current or past national team players" on the team so how could a series win be regarded as a borderline miracle?

We would agree that the Buckeyes have underperformed this year - no doubt they've disappointed. But "dismal" team results? Good thing you're not a St. Cloud or a Brown fan!

P.S. Now if the Gophers team were to beat Ohio State in football, which hasn't happened for as long as I can remember, THAT would be what I would call a REAL MIRACLE!
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I'm pretty sure I was the first to say that OSU would pull a first round upset in a earlier post. I'm wavering a little now that they're playing Minny. Still I will stick to my original statement and have OSU pulling the upset if they play their top 6-8 forwards a ton, STAY OUT OF THE BOX and of course they'll need Steffes to be outstanding.

As far as xwildfan I think what he's saying is that as long as the current coaching staff is in place they are destined for mediocracy. Which he might have a point. I'm hearing they might try playing Rielly with a broken wrist which would be INSANE.Hard to shoot or play D with a broken wrist! If this is the case I'd have to agree with xwildfan's assessment that a coaching change might be needed.

Anyways... Good luck Bucks!

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                        The first part of the post in question was a quote of another poster, not a prediction by xwildfan.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Mavericks in two. You heard it here first.
                          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post

First, I agree that it is entirely possible that OSU will beat the Gophers two out of three this weekend. And I think most would agree that based on each team's record and where they are seeded this would be regarded as an upset. But I don't think anyone here would think of OSU winning the series as a miracle, or even a "borderline miracle". The Buckeyes have too much talent for that! As you point out they have "five current or past national team players" on the team so how could a series win be regarded as a borderline miracle?

We would agree that the Buckeyes have underperformed this year - no doubt they've disappointed. But "dismal" team results? Good thing you're not a St. Cloud or a Brown fan!

P.S. Now if the Gophers team were to beat Ohio State in football, which hasn't happened for as long as I can remember, THAT would be what I would call a REAL MIRACLE!
                            Don't know a thing about Brown. St.Cloud's record is somewhat understandable since they essentially lost all of their scoring to graduation and nobody picked up the slack.

The "dismal" description of the OSU record stems from their 1-12-1-1 record against the top four teams in the league. Don't think it is an inaccurate adjective to describe their season. They have the WCHA scoring leader (Langan) and two other top scorers (Spooner and McIntosh) returning. And as previously mentioned, a total of five past or present national players on the team. The OSU record v top four is not much different than St.Cloud's. Also, realize that Langan was injured; but all teams have injuries.

And it seems like it is like this year after year; nothing changes. Perhaps there should be some changes.

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                              Mavericks in two. You heard it here first.
                              In your dreams, Brooktrout.

Comment

Working...
                              X