• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010-11 D-I ECAC Awards

ECAC began announcing its awards today.

From the Dartmouth thread
    Originally posted by papulaisle View Post
    Coach Hudak nominated for ECAC Coach of The Year. Really nice to see. Three in all nominated; Derraugh of Cornell and Seeley join Coach Hudak. Dartmouth picked to finish eighth in the ECAC at the beginning of the season, finished third. Coach said goal for season (as chosen by the players, I believe) was to surprise or to produce some surprises, etc. Seems goal has so far been achieved-at least I would judge it so especially after surprising and convincing win over Cornell.
    I would agree Hudak is the appropriate choice for ECAC Coach of the Year. After graduating Parsons and Cunningham from a team was 9th in the ECAC last season, there was definitely a possibility the Dartmouth was headed for further mediocrity. Contrast them with the trajectory of other top teams from last decade, like Brown, which made the ECAC final in 2006, missed the playoffs soon after, and then never made them again. Or SLU which has been a league average team the last 2 seasons. And though SCSU is not a top team, they lost a similar senior scoring punch and almost didn't win a game all year! So for Dartmouth to turn things around and finish 3rd in the conference and presently rank 2nd in the polls within the conference is impressive.

Taking a bit longer view, however, I wouldn't give too much credit to Hudak. Dartmouth won the ECAC postseason title in 2008-2009. I think by any standard the 2009-2010 team underachieved by missing the playoffs. So I think to judge this team's expectations on a higher baseline. I still think this was an excellent coaching job by Hudak, but not as great as you might expect from a "9th place to 2nd place" improvement.

I'm not surprised by Seeley getting the 3rd nomination, but not sure he deserves it. He definitely deserved honors last season. Seeley was just as rapidly successful at Qunnipiac as he was at Clarkson. However, under Seeley Clarkson never quite make the jump from top 4 ECAC team to national championship contender. I though Quinnipiac should've been a solid top 2 ECAC team and solid top 10 team, esp. with Babstock. I've criticized Quinnipiac's inconsistency before this year, and posters reply back and tell me that they're young, but lots of the teams are young. This team should've moved forward this year but didn't.

That said, I don't think anyone really stands out as a slam dunk choice for the third nominee. I think Katey Stone's continued to do well. Her young team consistently played at a high level and placed 2nd in the conference, actually an improvement in the standings from a year ago. The team did less well at the national level, but that's more a reflection of the pattern of Olympians returning -- in the past Harvard has been on the other end of that! Yet by Harvard standards it was a down year so I wasn't expecting any such recognition for Katey.

Re: 2010-11 D-I ECAC Awards

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
    And though SCSU is not a top team, they lost a similar senior scoring punch and almost didn't win a game all year!
    "Similar" may be a bit of an oversimplification. Consider the top of the team stats for each last year:
    Code:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dartmouth                           |  Overall - 28 GP  (12-14- 2  .464)  | Conf Only - 22 GP  ( 9-12- 1  .432) |      Career    
    ------------------------------------|-------------------------------------|-------------------------------------|----------------
    ## Player                    POS YR | GP   G   A PTS PEN/MIN  PP SH GW GT | GP   G   A PTS PEN/MIN  PP SH GW GT |  GP   G   A PTS
    27 Sarah Parsons               F SR | 28  20  20  40   7/ 14   6  0  2  0 | 22  16  17  33   6/ 12   5  0  2  0 | 121  66  90 156
    21 Amanda Trunzo               F JR | 27  18  15  33  11/ 33   5  0  0  0 | 21  14  11  25   5/ 10   2  0  0  0 |  92  51  41  92
    22 Jenna Cunningham            F SR | 28  18  13  31  12/ 24   6  0  5  0 | 22  15  10  25  10/ 20   5  0  4  0 | 113  63  62 125
     7 Camille Dumais              F FR | 28  10  15  25   5/ 10   3  0  2  0 | 22   7  12  19   3/  6   2  0  1  0 |  28  10  15  25
    24 Sasha Nanji                 D FR | 28   6  13  19   6/ 12   4  0  0  1 | 22   3   9  12   5/ 10   1  0  0  0 |  28   6  13  19
    18 Sally Komarek               F FR | 28   3  12  15   6/ 12   1  0  0  0 | 22   2  12  14   4/  8   0  0  0  0 |  28   3  12  15
     5 Sarah Toupal                F SR | 28   4   8  12   5/ 10   1  0  0  0 | 22   4   7  11   5/ 10   1  0  0  0 | 128  12  30  42
     6 Jenna Hobeika               F SO | 28   4   8  12  12/ 24   1  0  1  0 | 22   3   3   6   8/ 16   1  0  0  0 |  37   4   9  13
     4 Kelly Foley                 F SO | 15   3   9  12   4/  8   1  0  2  0 | 11   3   6   9   3/  6   1  0  2  0 |  49  15  22  37
    Code:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    St. Cloud State                     |  Overall - 37 GP  (15-14- 8  .514)  | Conf Only - 28 GP  (11-11- 6  .500) |      Career    
    ------------------------------------|-------------------------------------|-------------------------------------|----------------
    ## Player                    POS YR | GP   G   A PTS PEN/MIN  PP SH GW GT | GP   G   A PTS PEN/MIN  PP SH GW GT |  GP   G   A PTS
     6 Holly Roberts               F SR | 37  21  28  49  16/ 32   9  3  3  0 | 28  16  21  37  13/ 26   7  2  3  0 | 149  54  72 126
    13 Felicia Nelson              F SR | 34  31  15  46  14/ 28  15  0  4  3 | 27  21  11  32  12/ 24  10  0  2  1 | 131  64  42 106
    25 Caitlin Hogan               F SR | 37  16  27  43  21/ 53   5  3  1  0 | 28  11  18  29  17/ 45   4  2  0  0 | 149  50  77 127
    15 Meaghan Pezon               F SR | 37  12  26  38  10/ 20   4  0  3  0 | 28   9  19  28   8/ 16   2  0  2  0 | 137  41  54  95
    16 Danielle Hirsch             D SR | 32   1  14  15  20/ 51   1  0  0  0 | 24   0   9   9  16/ 43   0  0  0  0 | 139   4  51  55
    12 Alex Nelson                 F FR | 37   6   6  12   7/ 14   3  0  1  0 | 28   5   6  11   4/  8   3  0  1  0 |  37   6   6  12
    14 Brittany Toor               F SO | 36   3   7  10   9/ 18   1  0  1  0 | 28   2   7   9   8/ 16   1  0  1  0 |  68   5  10  15
    Dartmouth returned six players who had as many points or more as the top returning scorer for SCSU. More that what you graduate, the critical point is what you still have.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

ECAC began announcing its awards today.

From the Dartmouth thread

I would agree Hudak is the appropriate choice for ECAC Coach of the Year. After graduating Parsons and Cunningham from a team was 9th in the ECAC last season, there was definitely a possibility the Dartmouth was headed for further mediocrity. Contrast them with the trajectory of other top teams from last decade, like Brown, which made the ECAC final in 2006, missed the playoffs soon after, and then never made them again. Or SLU which has been a league average team the last 2 seasons. And though SCSU is not a top team, they lost a similar senior scoring punch and almost didn't win a game all year! So for Dartmouth to turn things around and finish 3rd in the conference and presently rank 2nd in the polls within the conference is impressive.

Taking a bit longer view, however, I wouldn't give too much credit to Hudak. Dartmouth won the ECAC postseason title in 2008-2009. I think by any standard the 2009-2010 team underachieved by missing the playoffs. So I think to judge this team's expectations on a higher baseline. I still think this was an excellent coaching job by Hudak, but not as great as you might expect from a "9th place to 2nd place" improvement.

I'm not surprised by Seeley getting the 3rd nomination, but not sure he deserves it. He definitely deserved honors last season. Seeley was just as rapidly successful at Qunnipiac as he was at Clarkson. However, under Seeley Clarkson never quite make the jump from top 4 ECAC team to national championship contender. I though Quinnipiac should've been a solid top 2 ECAC team and solid top 10 team, esp. with Babstock. I've criticized Quinnipiac's inconsistency before this year, and posters reply back and tell me that they're young, but lots of the teams are young. This team should've moved forward this year but didn't.

That said, I don't think anyone really stands out as a slam dunk choice for the third nominee. I think Katey Stone's continued to do well. Her young team consistently played at a high level and placed 2nd in the conference, actually an improvement in the standings from a year ago. The team did less well at the national level, but that's more a reflection of the pattern of Olympians returning -- in the past Harvard has been on the other end of that! Yet by Harvard standards it was a down year so I wasn't expecting any such recognition for Katey.
      I guess I fall into the camp that believes Dartmouth more significantly underperformed last season than they are particularly over-performing this season. Its not like they are devoid of talent by any stretch. They have some very good players...particularly offensively.

I would be far more apt to give the award to Derraugh (i know that's a bit biased on my part, but he didn't win the award last year) as he has accomplished a far better record this season than either Hudak or Seeley and has worked wonders with the program since he took the reigns.
      Last edited by mattj711; 02-21-2011, 03:02 PM.

Comment

....from a "9th place to 2nd place" improvement.....
        Should be 9th to 3rd.

Comment

Originally posted by mattj711 View Post
          I guess I fall into the camp that believes Dartmouth more significantly underperformed last season than they are particularly over-performing this season. Its not like they are devoid of talent by any stretch. They have some very good players...particularly offensively.
          While this might be a bit of an oversimplification, IMHO the resurgence of Dartmouth has a lot to do with a switch in tenders during the season. In a similar fashion Quinny relied a lot on their tender last year to move up the pack. A stellar tender can make a good team look great in a hurry, and similarly a average tender can make a good team look average at times.

Having said that, congrats should go out to the nominee's, including Hudak and Seeley. Every year you see new goaltenders come up the ranks after a switch. You could make a case for Kampersal, who took a team that went 0-7 in November, and then proceeded to run off a 13-2 mark to close the season.

Here is some food for thought. To me a great coaching performance is to not only measure season to season improvements, but even moreso how the team improves within season. For that reason my top candidates would be Hudak and Kampersal.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
            To me a great coaching performance is to not only measure season to season improvements, but even moreso how the team improves within season. For that reason my top candidates would be Hudak and Kampersal.
            Part of coaching is also assembling the team, so I'd agree with mattj and go with Derraugh.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I also forgot the Seeley won ECAC COTY last year. I was thinking it was Derraugh, but he won national COTY?

Anyway, yes I think you can make a good case for both Derraugh and Hudak. A lot depends on how you define coach of the year. Is it simply exceeding the preseason poll expectations? (that seems to be standard fare). How much is someone a coach of the year simply because they brought in better players?

I disagree with OnMaa that Dartmouth's success is simply a matter of better goaltending. I had actually evaluated that hypothesis myself right before I wrote my post. Dartmouth did allow 15% fewer goals in conference play this year. Since GAA = savepct * shots / Games played, we can decompose the GAA improvement into changes in savepct and changes in shots. 5% of the decrease was due to an improvement save pct, while 10% was due to Dartmouth allowing fewer shots on goal. So while goaltending was probably better, I'd tend to attribute to overall team defense. Of course this doesn't account for the quality of shots allowed, but I see the bias potentially going in both directions. But either way, it's certainly not a clear case that goaltending was the difference for Dartmouth this year.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                Part of coaching is also assembling the team, so I'd agree with mattj and go with Derraugh.
                After further thought, I think you & mattj right. While Cornell was certainly favored to win the league and had a decent shot at going undefeated, I don't think anyone expected them to be quite as dominant as they were up until the final couple weekends of the season.

For Coach of the Year, I think you can give some credit to young teams that improved through the course of the season, but I also wouldn't take away credit from coaches who had their teams going from the get-go! Maybe if Dartmouth had taken one point from Harvard and actually finished 2nd in the league, there'd be a stronger case for Hudak.

Comment

http://www.ecachockey.com/women/2010..._Def_Finalists

The three finalists for the ECAC's best defensive defenseman award are:

Laura Martindale (Princeton)
                  Josephine Pucci (Harvard)
                  Laurian Rougeau (Cornell)

Comment

http://www.ecachockey.com/women/2010..._Def_Finalists

The three finalists for the ECAC's best defensive defenseman award are:

Laura Martindale (Princeton)
                    Josephine Pucci (Harvard)
                    Laurian Rougeau (Cornell)
                    Anyone have opinions on this? Defensive defenseman are the toughest to evaluate since they're tough to capture statistics and most ECAC coaches will only get to see each player twice, but I would guess Rougeau would be favorite given that Cornell was far and away the best defensive team in the ECAC and that success continued regardless of who was in net and despite the team only having nine forwards really.

Comment

Anyone have opinions on this? Defensive defenseman are the toughest to evaluate since they're tough to capture statistics and most ECAC coaches will only get to see each player twice, but I would guess Rougeau would be favorite given that Cornell was far and away the best defensive team in the ECAC and that success continued regardless of who was in net and despite the team only having nine forwards really.
                      Interesting that Martindale got the nod ahead of Sasha Sherry, but Sherry is much more offensive-minded. Martindale was a steady presence, and rarely called attention to her play (she has scored no goals this year).

Comment

Originally posted by PrincetonFan View Post
                        Interesting that Martindale got the nod ahead of Sasha Sherry, but Sherry is much more offensive-minded. Martindale was a steady presence, and rarely called attention to her play (she has scored no goals this year).
                        I'm assuming there will be an offensive defenseman award, and would imagine that Sherry will be a finalist in that category.

Comment

I'm assuming there will be an offensive defenseman award, and would imagine that Sherry will be a finalist in that category.
                          Along with Fortino and Nanji would be my bet in that category.

Comment

http://www.ecachockey.com/women/2010..._Finalists.pdf

ECAC Best defensive forward nominations are:

Reagan Fischer (Dartmouth)
                            Alisa Harrison (RPI)
                            Karlee Overguard (Cornell)

Comment

http://static.psbin.com/1/2/7vjc6lva..._Finalists.pdf

ECAC Rookie of the Year finalists:

Kelly Babstock (Quinnipiac)
                              Brianne Jenner (Cornell)
                              Jackie Raines (Yale)

Comment

Working...
                              X