X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXX

Originally posted by PioneerPhanatic View Post
    Pretty great story about the team we're facing on Saturday. This has its own thread but I thought some of you would like to see it. If it wasn't for the fact that they were playing DU I would wish them serious tournament success.
    The Saturday matchup with DU/WMU will find me with very mixed emotions but knowing that I'll be rooting for the winner of that game come Sunday. Our family spent over 15 years as season ticket holders in "The Old Barn" before moving from Denver to Michigan in 1996. Each of our two sons had their first post-birth outings after coming home from the hospital sitting on Mom's lap watching DU hockey in The Barn. And they were immediately hooked on the game, getting their hockey roots as players in Littleton but later playing at the HS level in northern Michigan in a start-up HS program that has already built a very special young history. (Including a current 2-time CCHA all-league defenseman who will be playing back east with the Redhawks this weekend.) Both went on to college at WMU...both were student employees in Lawson Arena and a big part of the hockey culture there. Their passions for the game never stopped growing. Here neither. I think that the zamboni driver at about the 5:10 mark in that film is my younger son, who received his degree from WMU in December. Big brother now works for an NHL franchise. Posters below are right...hockey people are special, regardless of where they come from. We will be in Green Bay this weekend, rooting for both sides in the nightcap on Saturday. I'll be the one wearing my old "Bleacher Creatures" DU tee with a WMU jacket partially covering it. The zam driver in the video will be there too, now relishing his role as a WMU alumnus who got his first passion for the game watching the Pies! Good luck to two special programs with superb coaches and quality young players when they lace 'em up on Saturday!

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
      Then I'll call that a good omen! Good to be reminded of such things.
      I certainly hope so. Yep...it is what it is.

About our buddy tMelrose...I swear I heard him clamor during his drooling soliloquy about UND's undisputed utter greatness that he was just so freakin' proud of all the Canadiens on the roster -- especially all the players from Saskatchewan. There sure are a whole lot of players from Canada on their roster, just mostly from Alberta or Manitoba, and not really any from Saskatchewan.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        I certainly hope so. Yep...it is what it is.

About our buddy tMelrose...I swear I heard him clamor during his drooling soliloquy about UND's undisputed utter greatness that he was just so freakin' proud of all the Canadiens on the roster -- especially all the players from Saskatchewan. There sure are a whole lot of players from Canada on their roster, just mostly from Alberta or Manitoba, and not really any from Saskatchewan.
        Yeah, this is an omen for sure. Last year right before the NCAAs, I watched the 2005 run on tape and I was freaking out about how biased he was towards ND. He got it wrong then and let's hope and a huge provided we get past WMU he gets it wrong this year.
        "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
        Tom Serratore

Comment

Gwoz press conference from today.

DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Thanks for posting the PC 78. I'm starting to get excited about this game. I thought it was interesting to hear him talk about how in any touney with single elimination the first round game can be one of the hardest. PP needs to get better than last weekend (1-10). It was also interesting to hear his reflections on RPI.
            Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
              Yeah, this is an omen for sure. Last year right before the NCAAs, I watched the 2005 run on tape and I was freaking out about how biased he was towards ND. He got it wrong then and let's hope and a huge provided we get past WMU he gets it wrong this year.
              And don't forget NoDak has a game to win in the first round as well.
              DU Pioneer Hockey. National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005
              sigpic
              WCHA arenas I have visited: Magness, Kohl, Sullivan, National Hockey Center, DECC, Cleveland Steamer World Arena (CSWA)

Thanks for your friendship Jimbo!!!

Comment

Wherefore art thou Swami?
                Soon to be lurking for two decades !

Comment

ScottA, I feel like I should mention that "wherefore" means "why" in that Romeo & Juliet line. So you are really asking "Why are you Swami?" Which is a dammmn good question in itself.

Comment

I woke up this morning thinking someone should say something. Props to Scott A for pointing out the elephant in the living room. We had a game for the ages against the Sioux and I was looking forward to Swami's analysis of it. It looks like he's decided that discretion is the better part of valor. And who can blame him? With flamefests here and confrontations with whiny parents at Magness. Are we really okay with the idea that it's accceptable to bully someone off these threads?

We've had some vigorous discussion here around the question of "criticizing" the team and whether or not that's an acceptable practice. Both sides have made their arguments and we've all evaluated those arguments. Okay, what next? Are those of us who think the criticism is quite mild, not personal and made with the best interests of the team at heart just supposed to roll over because some of us are prepared to show no restraint in attacking posters with whom they disagree? Some of us have even hinted they are in a special category, deserving of deference because of that status. Or that they have some special inside information (which they won't share) that supports their arguments. If we only knew what they know, goes the argument, then we'd agree with them.

The idea that parents would become so upset at comments posted here that they would confront someone is astonishing. If these parents can't stand the occasional criticism here then they should consider enrolling their sons in a D-III program where nobody cares and the expectations are much lower. For heaven's sake, "fans" of Ohio State just drove Kirk Herbstreit and his family out of Ohio because he wasn't a big enough homer on ESPN to suit them. Is that the kind of atmosphere we want at DU?

I've posted before about yelling some serious smack at Dryden during the '69 FF at the Broadmoor--I wanted an all western final. It was only later that I found out the guy standing next to me was his dad. Would it have been okay for his father to confront the DU loudmouth? Evidently some of us think it would have been. Mr. Dryden just turned and walked away. And that's what I suggest our parents do, just turn and walk away. Or start posting here if they think their sons need defending. Making it personal, confronting people because of their opinions is unacceptable. This is not Auburn or LSU.

And if it turns out comments posted here really are damaging the team then explain that to us, without rancor, bullying or invective. I'd imagine most of us would respond appropriately. Of course, it's always possible under those circumstances that the players and parents involved could just ignore the musings here. Because we're "front runners" and "don't know what the h*ll we're talking about."

Under any circumstances, losing Swami's perspective makes the experience here less enjoyable. I hope he's just taking a "time out" and will rejoin us soon.
                    Last edited by Old Pio; 03-23-2011, 03:29 PM.
                    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Lookie who is Westword's "Commenter Of The Day." Thanks Pablo.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword...te_du.php#more

Bring Back Boone & Puck Swami

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                        Lookie who is Westword's "Commenter Of The Day." Thanks Pablo.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword...te_du.php#more

Bring Back Boone & Puck Swami
                        Yeah, I can see it now: "Aren't you proud Condi Rice went to Denver State Community University Metro College of the Mountains?"

Nice going, DG
                        Last edited by Old Pio; 03-23-2011, 03:51 PM.

Comment

The WCHA Championship was a blast. Great hockey from all the teams there. Wow! True hockey fans cheering for their teams. It was a fabulous experience. I hope to be back April 9th watching DU again.

Green Bay 1st. I'll be in the DU Section. Hope to see all of you there.

If you don't like it, the boys on the hockey team have two words for your doubting asses.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBossMan View Post
                            The WCHA Championship was a blast. Great hockey from all the teams there. Wow! True hockey fans cheering for their teams. It was a fabulous experience. I hope to be back April 9th watching DU again.

Green Bay 1st. I'll be in the DU Section. Hope to see all of you there.

If you don't like it, the boys on the hockey team have two words for your doubting asses.
                            And I've got two words for you, sonny. "Oh look at me, I went to the Final Five and I'm going to the regional and I'll go to the Frozen Four if necessary to prove what a superior fan I am." Assuming you actually went to the Final Five it must have been difficult to see the action, what with all of that personal magnificence reflecting in your eyes. Next thing you know, you'll be riding your bike "no hands." And I don't believe you know a single member of the team. And in the unlikely event you do, they would be embarrassed to know your attitude, allegedly on their behalf. Certainly no DU fan in Green Bay will have any trouble spotting the guy with a head the size of a Replogle globe.
                            Last edited by Old Pio; 03-23-2011, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                              Are we really okay with the idea that it's accceptable to bully someone off these threads?
                              Isn't that really what you're trying to do with this very post?

We've had some vigorous discussion here around the question of "criticizing" the team and whether or not that's an acceptable practice. Both sides have made their arguments and we've all evaluated those arguments. Okay, what next? Are those of us who think the criticism is quite mild, not personal and made with the best interests of the team at heart just supposed to roll over because some of us are prepared to show no restraint in attacking posters with whom they disagree?
                              I think the key word is attacking. I for one am not okay with that. Why would you attack the players or the coach of your team? Why would you want to attack another fan of the team, isn't that a violation of the rules here?

Some of us have even hinted they are in a special category, deserving of deference because of that status. Or that they have some special inside information (which they won't share) that supports their arguments. If we only knew what they know, goes the argument, then we'd agree with them.
                              I for one believe Swami when he said he had that background. I'm not sure why it was important but I believe him nonetheless.

I've posted before about yelling some serious smack at Dryden during the '69 FF at the Broadmoor--I wanted an all western final. It was only later that I found out the guy standing next to me was his dad. Would it have been okay for his father to confront the DU loudmouth? Evidently some of us think it would have been. Mr. Dryden just turned and walked away. And that's what I suggest our parents do, just turn and walk away. Or start posting here if they think their sons need defending. Making it personal, confronting people because of their opinions is unacceptable.
                              You seem rather proud of that rather than being embarrassed. I can't comprehend why. Sad to say I would have laughed if dad had shut up the loudmouth or if grandma rolled over his toes with her walker.

And if it turns out comments posted here really are damaging the team then explain that to us, without rancor, bullying or invective. I'd imagine most of us would respond appropriately. Of course, it's always possible under those circumstances that the players and parents involved could just ignore the musings here. Because we're "front runners" and "don't know what the h*ll we're talking about."

Under any circumstances, losing Swami's perspective makes the experience here less enjoyable. I hope he's just taking a "time out" and will rejoin us soon.

Sounds like someone can dish it out but can't take it.

Last edited by BigBossMan; 03-23-2011, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBossMan View Post
                                Are we really okay with the idea that it's accceptable to bully someone off these threads?
                                Isn't that really what you're trying to do with this very post?

No.

I think the key word is attacking. I for one am not okay with that. Why would you attack the players or the coach of your team? Why would you want to attack another fan of the team, isn't that a violation of the rules here?

I for one believe Swami when he said he had that background. I'm not sure why it was important but I believe him nonetheless.

You seem rather proud of that rather than being embarrassed. I can't comprehend why. Sad to say I would have laughed if dad had shut up the loudmouth or if grandma rolled over his toes with her walker.

Sounds like someone can dish it out but can't take it.

If you don't like it, the boys on the hockey team have two words for your doubting asses. [/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
                                X