X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXX

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
    Great crowd at Magness Saturday night. While the game was lacking flow for two periods (mainly due to some inconsistent officiating), that third period was awesome. And, there was great speed and intensity throughout the game. I still can't believe the Mavs "scored" at the end of regulation. I was looking at the clock and thought they wouldn't even get a shot off, then I see the puck in the net but wasn't certain of the time. Made for an exciting few minutes.

So, I got to two games this year and can't wait for more next season. Magness is a great building. And, with multiple events going on around the facility (gymnastics, lacrosse), that was really neat to see how much activity there was on campus.
    Ha ha, redhawk. We must be on the same wavelength. I also can't believe the Mavericks got the puck down the length of the ice for a shot in 7 seconds. Seems like our team wasn't well-prepared for that contingency, and it almost cost us big-time.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
      Bringing in Gauthier, Stastny and company to talk to the players is a great idea. They cemented their legacy at DU, and I hope they can inspire this years' Pioneers to do the same. Too bad we can't bring in Caldwell, too. That guy was a warrior.
      Where did you hear about this? Are they for sure coming in to talk to them? and why can't we get Caldwell, is he in Europe?
      "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
      Tom Serratore

Comment

Letsgodu has a link to Chambers article about it. Last I heard, Ryan was playing in Germany, though I don't know if that's still the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Garibaldi83
          No we will play the remaining highest seed and NoDak will play the remaining lowest seed
          No. Denver will play the winner of the Duluth - Bemidji State game regardless of who wins.

http://www.wcha.com/men/presarch/201103/mar13wcm.php

Specifically this part:

On Friday (March 18) in Saint Paul, Denver (23-10-5) will play the winner of the Minnesota Duluth vs Bemidji State game at 2:07 pm CT while North Dakota (28-8-3) will play at 7:07 pm CT against Alaska Anchorage or Colorado College.
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Garibaldi83
            No we will play the remaining highest seed and NoDak will play the remaining lowest seed
            Nope. DU plays the UMD-BSU winner.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Agreed you are right I misread the release..... It would be better for Nodak if it were that way
              GO DU!!!!

ROWDY IN THE FIRST ROW!!!

DU Hockey National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Garibaldi83 View Post
                Agreed you are right I misread the release..... It would be better for Nodak if it were that way
                While it might be better for North Dakota, it would suck for a team playing Thursday night to have to get back up and play Friday afternoon. I like it this way, as it gives the teams playing on Thursday a more realistic chance on Friday.
                North Dakota
                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Great crowd at Magness Saturday night. While the game was lacking flow for two periods (mainly due to some inconsistent officiating), that third period was awesome. And, there was great speed and intensity throughout the game. I still can't believe the Mavs "scored" at the end of regulation. I was looking at the clock and thought they wouldn't even get a shot off, then I see the puck in the net but wasn't certain of the time. Made for an exciting few minutes.

So, I got to two games this year and can't wait for more next season. Magness is a great building. And, with multiple events going on around the facility (gymnastics, lacrosse), that was really neat to see how much activity there was on campus.
                  It was questionable officiating the entire game. I have never seen so many incidental minors called in one game, ridiculous! The "goal" at the end of the game came at least 1 second after the buzzer and they still thought it was a goal, unbelievable..... Anderson and Sheppard were in rare form for this series!
                  GO DU!!!!

ROWDY IN THE FIRST ROW!!!

DU Hockey National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Garibaldi83 View Post
                    It was questionable officiating the entire game. I have never seen so many incidental minors called in one game, ridiculous! The "goal" at the end of the game came at least 1 second after the buzzer and they still thought it was a goal, unbelievable..... Anderson and Sheppard were in rare form for this series!
                    I've heard all about those guys so now I can say I've seen them in action. Did they actually signal "goal?" I didn't know if they were reviewing to review, as they certainly should of, or to overturn a bogus call. If what you're saying is correct, that's just awful.
                    http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

I've heard all about those guys so now I can say I've seen them in action. Did they actually signal "goal?" I didn't know if they were reviewing to review, as they certainly should of, or to overturn a bogus call. If what you're saying is correct, that's just awful.
                      The refereeing last weekend was atrocious. The crowd did a great job getting all over Anderson for his crappy calls. The DU staff blasted him between periods as they were leaving the ice.

Yale, UND and BC have #1 seeds wrapped up. The 4th #1 seed is still up for grabs and DU is in the mix. DU has a very good chance of grabbing that seed with two wins this coming weekend. It would be beneficial to get that seed to stay away from BC until the FF. BTW DU is a lock for the tourney so it just comes down to what seed.
                      DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Yup Shepard was down there and made the call. Couldn't tell what Anderson was doing at the time (or any other time). The green light was clearly on.

Comment

It's playoff time and there is plenty of room on the DU bandwagon for all of those that have been uncertain about the team all season. You just need to find a seat in the shut the hell up seats.

No seats are available for those that have whined about the team and have talked smack about individual players all season but cry tears of joy when DU wins it all. You make the those of us that have been cheering the team on this entire season, cheering on Championship teams since the 50s and even those recently jumping on board; sick. It would be better for you to find a politically correct blog that will ignore your hypocrisy.

If you don't like it, the boys on the hockey team have two words for your doubting asses. SUCK IT!

Comment

Originally posted by BigBossMan View Post
                            It's playoff time and there is plenty of room on the DU bandwagon for all of those that have been uncertain about the team all season. You just need to find a seat in the shut the hell up seats.

No seats are available for those that have whined about the team and have talked smack about individual players all season but cry tears of joy when DU wins it all. You make the those of us that have been cheering the team on this entire season, cheering on Championship teams since the 50s and even those recently jumping on board; sick. It would be better for you to find a politically correct blog that will ignore your hypocrisy.

If you don't like it, the boys on the hockey team have two words for your doubting asses. SUCK IT!
                            Thanks for your words of wisdom and inspiration.
                            DU Pioneer Hockey. National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005
                            sigpic
                            WCHA arenas I have visited: Magness, Kohl, Sullivan, National Hockey Center, DECC, Cleveland Steamer World Arena (CSWA)

Thanks for your friendship Jimbo!!!

Comment

Very interesting article on UNO making the jump to Division I in all sports. They are dumping football & wrestling and adding men's soccer and golf to be Title IX compliant.

http://www.omaha.com/article/2011031.../703139891/880

Other interesting tidbits, they lost money on hockey for six straight years until this year, their first in the WCHA. They want to build an on-campus arena for hockey. They want to ramp up men's hoops. Sound familiar?

What wasn't mentioned the article, but what I've read elsewhere is that they have some big donors.

So how does this apply to DU? Lots of similarities in athletic programs, issues and problems. Long term? Can DU form an all sports conference with UND, UNO and a few other geographical rivals?
                              Last edited by dggoddard; 03-14-2011, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBossMan View Post
                                It's playoff time and there is plenty of room on the DU bandwagon for all of those that have been uncertain about the team all season. You just need to find a seat in the shut the hell up seats. No seats are available for those that have whined about the team and have talked smack about individual players all season but cry tears of joy when DU wins it all. You make the those of us that have been cheering the team on this entire season, cheering on Championship teams since the 50s and even those recently jumping on board; sick. It would be better for you to find a politically correct blog that will ignore your hypocrisy.

Hypocrisy? How about honesty? make you sick? Don't read it, then. No one is forcing you.

In your mind, the only good fan is a cheering, but non-dissenting one? Where are we, Cuba?

Sorry, I don't subscribe to that theory. This is America where we are free to say what we want to say and there is plenty of room on the DU bandwagon for all DU fans, vocal or not. Fans invest emotionally and often financially with their teams, and the fans are the fuel for the entire enterprise. Without us, there are no Division I sports. We are the ones who pay the gate revenue, watch TV, drink the beer, pay the parking, enable coaching raises and make the sport relevant beyond campus. Without us, it's club sports and intramurals.

This message board (and others like it) are our gathering places, where we celebrate, commisserate and share joy and agony. It's also a place where we vent, where we suggest and where we share our views about the program we care about. Fans are part of the family. And like some families, sometimes it's messy -- we squabble, we argue and get angry when we see things we wish were different. It doesn't make us us any less of a fan. In fact, I'd argue that fans who speak out do more than just cheer perform a very important role - they give the players extra motivation -- a target for proving them wrong, as well as making far more interesting reading than pure cheerleading does.

And the boys on the hockey team? They are Division I players in a revenue sport (and their parents) need to develop thick skins. Their performance is going to be graded far more severly by fans when they get to the pros (and 85% of DU players do play some form of pro hockey after college). They need to get used to it - it comes with the territory.

As the captain of one of DU's title teams told me in 2004 - "If I don't play well, I expect to be ripped by the fans. They are the ones who made my scholarship possible."
                                Last edited by Puck Swami; 03-14-2011, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X