Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston schools eager to schedule Penn State?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston schools eager to schedule Penn State?

In a couple years, Penn State will be opening up a new arena and joining Division 1 NCAA hockey. It seems to me that Boston schools BC, BU, and Northeastern...perhaps UNH and Maine, too...would be eager to schedule Penn State in reciprocal home-and-home series' beginning with the 2013-2014 season. Do followers of college hockey see this as likely or not? I wonder if the Hockey East schools are saying 'Nyet' to other overtures in expectation of games with Penn State?
    Chris V
    Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Re: Boston schools eager to schedule Penn State?

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
    In a couple years, Penn State will be opening up a new arena and joining Division 1 NCAA hockey. It seems to me that Boston schools BC, BU, and Northeastern...perhaps UNH and Maine, too...would be eager to schedule Penn State in reciprocal home-and-home series' beginning with the 2013-2014 season. Do followers of college hockey see this as likely or not? I wonder if the Hockey East schools are saying 'Nyet' to other overtures in expectation of games with Penn State?
    What makes you say that? The only reason I can think of is that it's a name school that might appeal to the casual fan, but none of those schools (with the exception of NU) have attendance problems. Penn St is most likely going to struggle its first few years, so games against them probably won't help a lot for PWR purposes. And it's not like central PA is a recruiting hot bed, so playing there doesn't really provide much of an upside other than getting to check out a state of the art arena.
    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
      What makes you say that? The only reason I can think of is that it's a name school that might appeal to the casual fan, but none of those schools (with the exception of NU) have attendance problems. Penn St is most likely going to struggle its first few years, so games against them probably won't help a lot for PWR purposes. And it's not like central PA is a recruiting hot bed, so playing there doesn't really provide much of an upside other than getting to check out a state of the art arena.
      you are not recruiting 'central PA' because state college is in the middle (of nowhere). you are recruiting all of PA. true state school. lot of junior hockey in pitt that i know of. rather decent players have come out of philly too.
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Oh well...I thought it seemed like a good idea. I agree that Penn State, aside from being a marquee school, won't be a marquee hockey program for a long time (if at all: see Ohio State). I was just posing the question to see what people thought, because I would rather see a BC-Penn State game in early November than a BC-Toronto one.
        Chris V
        Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

I think BC would be interested in scheduling PSU. I just wish it would lead to a football series like they used to play.
          BC Eagles Hockey East Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
          National Championships: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
          Beanpot Champions: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2004, 2001, 1994, 1983, 1976, 1965, 1964, 1963, 1961, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1954

Bentley Falcons Hockey

Comment

I would guess not many "name" hockey schools are going to be looking to play PSU at this point due to not being able to help much for PWR. I expect the B10 schools will schedule them for the conference. But I would expect that they otherwise would get most of their games against middle of the road to bottom teams in the CCHA and WCHA early on.
            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2010 Frozen Four participant
            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Oh well...I thought it seemed like a good idea. I agree that Penn State, aside from being a marquee school, won't be a marquee hockey program for a long time (if at all: see Ohio State). I was just posing the question to see what people thought, because I would rather see a BC-Penn State game in early November than a BC-Toronto one.
              it's a different idea for a thread so that's a good thing............as mookie said above about pitts, BC has 2 Pittsburgh area players, Wey and Milner

Comment

I would love for UNH to take a trip down there, as a Penn State Football fan what could be better then catching a Penn State Football game and UNH hockey in the same weekend then again this would be for pure selfish reasons

Comment

Yeah, but your BC-Penn State game comes at the expense of a BC- Michigan, BC-Denver or BC-Miami games, all of which are more satisfying to a top-tier hockey program.

ETA: Boston schools would be reluctant to schedule another non-conference games, considering they are at a premium because of the beanpot.
                  Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
                  ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrier520 View Post
                    Yeah, but your BC-Penn State game comes at the expense of a BC- Michigan, BC-Denver or BC-Miami games, all of which are more satisfying to a top-tier hockey program.

ETA: Boston schools would be reluctant to schedule another non-conference games, considering they are at a premium because of the beanpot.
                    but we're a football school, remember?

Comment

i think it'll happen, you play a name school (lets be honest, joe boston sports fan is going to see penn state and be like, hey i bet they have a decent program because they are penn state!) if you are bc bu or nu and you get that draw and the draw for penn state is that they expose themselves to potential new england recruits. id love to schedule penn state for a friday game and then they play bc/bu sat or something along those lines. I think this is very likely to happen in one of their first few years for the exposure to boston and potential recruits.
                      Arenas Attended
                      Matthews Arena
                      Agganis Arena
                      Tsongas Arena
                      Lawler Arena
                      Schneider Arena
                      Mullins Center
                      TD Banknorth Garden
                      Conte Forum
                      Whittemore Center
                      Gutterson Fieldhouse
                      Alfond Arena
                      Compton Family Ice Arena

Comment

Originally posted by NUMcNeely View Post
                        i think it'll happen, you play a name school (lets be honest, joe boston sports fan is going to see penn state and be like, hey i bet they have a decent program because they are penn state!) if you are bc bu or nu and you get that draw and the draw for penn state is that they expose themselves to potential new england recruits. id love to schedule penn state for a friday game and then they play bc/bu sat or something along those lines. I think this is very likely to happen in one of their first few years for the exposure to boston and potential recruits.
                        Yes, people are that stupid... I bet you if Lowell could get Penn State at home then it would bring a record non-conf draw.
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                          but we're a football school, remember?
                          Let's put it this way; I think that, while the athletics department would like that to happen, Jerry York would prefer to play more challenging schools. And I doubt that BU would want to play Penn State. Then again, I could easily be wrong.
                          Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
                          ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Originally posted by NUMcNeely View Post
                            Yeah, but how many locals who know that little about college hockey are even bothering to look at a schedule, never mind actually buy tickets? And as I mentioned, only NU would need that sort of attendance boost anyway. BU drew 5000+ for games against Brown and Harvard this year, and both were over breaks. BC leads the league in attendance. They don't need any sort of boost from a "name school," especially one that isn't going to help in the PWR.

I agree that PSU is going to want to get to the Boston area because of the recruits, but I just don't see what's in it for BU or BC. NU I get because it probably could be an attendance boost for them, though.

ETA: Going off Patman's post, it could help UML or Providence, too. So maybe one night at NU and the next at UML or PC. I would think all of those teams would be willing to reciprocate the visit, too, which I'm sure is something PSU would be looking for.
                            Last edited by Federal League; 02-15-2011, 08:26 PM.
                            Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Would not at all be surprised for Mack, Lowell, PC, or Mass to schedule them and/or take the trip, the others will probably stick to western teams.

Comment

Working...
                              X