Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Hampshire at Vermont : 69ing since 1789

Originally posted by MAINEhockeyFireWhitehead View Post
    combined total number of national titles in men's D1 hockey between UNH (university of no hardware) and Vermont is... Drum Roll Please!...... 0!
    Why don't you stop being a putz and stay out of other teams game threads.

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
      Very little hockey talk here. What gives; normally a relatively hoppin' thread. UVM's struggles have been well documented, but UNH isn't playing the best hockey as of late.

Does anybody care?
      In terms of the Hockey East Title and seeding in the Hockey East Tournament, UNH controls it's on fate. If they sweep this weekend at UVM, sweep Northeastern at the home-and-home next weekend, then end the regular season with a split against BC, they will win the Regular Season Title and be the #1 seed in the Hockey East Tournament. That should be a major motivator for playing full tilt each and every game - beginning tomorrow night.
      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
        In terms of the Hockey East Title and seeding in the Hockey East Tournament, UNH controls it's on fate. If they sweep this weekend at UVM, sweep Northeastern at the home-and-home next weekend, then end the regular season with a split against BC, they will win the Regular Season Title and be the #1 seed in the Hockey East Tournament. That should be a major motivator for playing full tilt each and every game - beginning tomorrow night.
        It is only a motivator if you see that #1 seed as a big deal. I honestly don't know if they do, it is a kind of been there done that thing now for most of this group. My guess is if it happens great. I would think they are more focused on getting to Boston and getting to Minnesota the places they haven't been in a while. That means playing well down the stretch and being ready for the playoffs.
        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Interesting stat of the day: In total, this year's roster has three career games (and zero points) played at the Garden. Thompson, Desimone and Sislo are the only players on this team that were in the lineup the last team UNH made the garden (3OT loss to BC in the 08 semi's).
          "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
            "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert
            Side note: What was he referring to? I always assumed deodorant was made in China.
            Me: ...but why would anyone want to vacation here? There are better mountains in NH and VT, beaches in Cape Cod and RI, and colonial landmarks in Mass and CT.

Boss: You've got it all wrong. It's Vacationland because nobody would ever want to live here for more than a week.

Go MAINE! My sometimes home

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
              It is only a motivator if you see that #1 seed as a big deal. I honestly don't know if they do, it is a kind of been there done that thing now for most of this group. My guess is if it happens great. I would think they are more focused on getting to Boston and getting to Minnesota the places they haven't been in a while. That means playing well down the stretch and being ready for the playoffs.
              Agreed. Although I'm sure (the Seniors especially) wouldn't scoff at a Hockey East R.S. title if it's available, their real goal has got to be making it much further than that. Playing Saturday night at the Garden would be nice. Winning would be even better -- at this point, perhaps even a surprise to the Wildcat Fanbase.

But aside from that, what does being the #1 overall seed get you? Possibly the chance to play Vermont in the first round again? Thanks, but no thanks. It's more important for this team to fix what's wrong with their play than to back into the RS tropy if other teams lose the right number of games - even if that means a sweep at the hands of BC, while playing well (read: you can play really well and still lose to BC - ask NU).

Really, as long as UNH keeps home ice for the playoffs and is playing well heading in, I'll be happy. I think we've all learned that the regular season trophy means about as much as anything posted by that MaineHockeyFanFireWhitehead moron . . .
              I haven't been on here in a year...
              Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Erix_The_Red View Post
                Side note: What was he referring to? I always assumed deodorant was made in China.
                Tom's of Maine deodorant.

Comment

But aside from that, what does being the #1 overall seed get you? Possibly the chance to play Vermont in the first round again? Thanks, but no thanks.
                  No offense to the UVM fans, but if UVM finishes 8th this year, its a much different than the 8th place Vermont team that made the NCAA's last year and finished 3 points out of third place (currently, UVM is 15 points out of third place). If UNH has to worry about playing the 8th place team with the drop off this year, they don't deserve to play at the Garden, or the NCAAs

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                    Agreed. Although I'm sure (the Seniors especially) wouldn't scoff at a Hockey East R.S. title if it's available, their real goal has got to be making it much further than that. Playing Saturday night at the Garden would be nice. Winning would be even better -- at this point, perhaps even a surprise to the Wildcat Fanbase.

But aside from that, what does being the #1 overall seed get you? Possibly the chance to play Vermont in the first round again? Thanks, but no thanks. It's more important for this team to fix what's wrong with their play than to back into the RS tropy if other teams lose the right number of games - even if that means a sweep at the hands of BC, while playing well (read: you can play really well and still lose to BC - ask NU).
                    After winning a bunch of Regular Season Titles without advancing to the Final Four, winning another Title is not very important. Playing well down the stretch and being ready for the playoffs means tightening up in those areas which have been subpar since the Christmas break - turning those shots in the general direction of the net into quality shots on goal; more effective backchecking by the forwards; beating the opponent to the loose pucks; etc. Take care of those areas and a 5W-1L run should follow.
                    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

It's more important for this team to fix what's wrong with their play than to back into the RS tropy if other teams lose the right number of games - even if that means a sweep at the hands of BC, while playing well (read: you can play really well and still lose to BC - ask NU).
                      I think they can win the reg season without "backing in". Win the games you should UVM and NU (they should be better than both these teams - not saying they are right now) and split the games you should (2 with BC) and you end up no worse than tied for 1st. Doing that is not backing in IMO. I just don't see that as the goal and have no problem not finishing 1st as long as they are playing the "right way".
                      "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

When is winning the regular season title going to mean more than getting a four game win streak? That is one of the most absurd things I have heard of....let's not consider 3 months of playing hard games within your division,,,, but let's focus instead upon a hot goaltender and team....you should get an auto-bid for the regular season title....make it worth something!

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                          When is winning the regular season title going to mean more than getting a four game win streak? That is one of the most absurd things I have heard of....let's not consider 3 months of playing hard games within your division,,,, but let's focus instead upon a hot goaltender and team....you should get an auto-bid for the regular season title....make it worth something!
                          If UNH had not made the national tournament last year after winning the regular season title in a big four league I think you would have seen a rule change this season re-instating the "Colorado College Rule" - problem is, you can't realistically add another 4 auto-bids without expanding the number of entrants past 16.

Coming from a soccer background, I agree with you in regards to the regular season > league tournament.

From USCHO:
                          Q: What was the “Colorado College rule”?

A: In 1994, Colorado College won the WCHA regular-season title, but did not receive a berth to the NCAA tournament. Soon after, the NCAA started awarding conferences two automatic bids, which meant both the regular-season and tournament champions got in. That rule, which was nicknamed the Colorado College rule, was later rescinded.
                          Last edited by ClOuD 9; 02-17-2011, 06:29 PM. Reason: incorrectly suggested the "Clarkson rule" instead of the "Colorado College rule"
                          "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                          Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                          NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                          EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                          AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                          1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Zoof, it does mean something, but what does it mean really when all is said and done. Sports are about winning championship tournaments. No one cares that the Bruins have won a handful of regular season championships when they haven't won a cup in 40 years, or been to even a conference championship in 20 years. The regular season doesn't mean much if you can't even win the best of 3 series at home against the 8 seed....

You can play great the first half of the year and build up a huge lead and play .500 after xmas and still win a championship. Sure it means something, but I'd much rather see them win four games and then four more!

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                              Zoof, it does mean something, but what does it mean really when all is said and done. Sports are about winning championship tournaments. No one cares that the Bruins have won a handful of regular season championships when they haven't won a cup in 40 years, or been to even a conference championship in 20 years. The regular season doesn't mean much if you can't even win the best of 3 series at home against the 8 seed....

You can play great the first half of the year and build up a huge lead and play .500 after xmas and still win a championship. Sure it means something, but I'd much rather see them win four games and then four more!
                              I really just want them to make the post season and then win their last game. Is that really too much to ask?
                              UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

How'd ya suppose the Pats thought that their 16-0 regular season went after the SB loss to the Giants a few yrs back?? I am thinking not so grand.... PLAYOFFS MATTER. A LOT.
                                Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

Proud member of the Coalition of the Swilling

UNH Wildcats
                                ECAC Tourney Champs 79
                                Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
                                Hockey East Tourney Champs 03, 02
                                Frozen Four 03, 02, 99, 98, 82, 79, 77
                                NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Working...
                                X