" DON"T CRY FOR ME OSTAPINA " Feb 18/19 featuring --->ADRIAN vs. MSOE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• " DON"T CRY FOR ME OSTAPINA " Feb 18/19 featuring --->ADRIAN vs. MSOE

I think a thread for this very important regular season ending series between these MCHA rivals is most appropriate.

In the four short years since the Adrian program began, their record against MSOE is 15-0-1.... yet the games have had all the intensity that one would expect from a rivalry of the ages. MSOE enjoyed many years of dominance in the conference before being displaced by Adrian. It's no secret that these teams have had battles on the ice that continued off the ice.

Today both teams are enjoying great seasons. Both teams have done a great job recruiting. Both have competed well in their non-conference schedules. Both have brought increased respectability to the MCHA given their respective positions in the top 10 of the USCHO Poll.

Here's how they stack up.
    MCHA W L T ....% PTS O/A W L T %
    Adrian 16-1-1 .917 33 .......19 3 1 .848
    MSOE 16-1-1 .917 33 .......19 3 1 .848

................................Adrian......MSOE
    Offense GPG avge:........5.17.......... 4.17
    Defense GA avge:........1.89 ..........1.61
    Power Play:................29.8 %...... 20.4 %
    Penalty Kill:............... 91.7 %.......92.3 %
    Penalty Min avge:........21.6..........18.2

This should be a great weekend of hockey for anyone who has a chance to go !

Re: " DON"T CRY FOR ME OSTAPINA " Feb 18/19 featuring --->ADRIAN vs. MSOE

Originally posted by NorthernLite View Post
    I think a thread for this very important regular season ending series between these MCHA rivals is most appropriate.

In the four short years since the Adrian program began, their record against MSOE is 15-0-1.... yet the games have had all the intensity that one would expect from a rivalry of the ages. MSOE enjoyed many years of dominance in the conference before being displaced by Adrian. It's no secret that these teams have had battles on the ice that continued off the ice.

Today both teams are enjoying great seasons. Both teams have done a great job recruiting. Both have competed well in their non-conference schedules. Both have brought increased respectability to the MCHA given their respective positions in the top 10 of the USCHO Poll.

Here's how they stack up.
    MCHA W L T ....% PTS O/A W L T %
    Adrian 16-1-1 .917 33 .......19 3 1 .848
    MSOE 16-1-1 .917 33 .......19 3 1 .848

................................Adrian......MSOE
    Offense GPG avge:........5.17.......... 4.17
    Defense GA avge:........1.89 ..........1.61
    Power Play:................29.8 %...... 20.4 %
    Penalty Kill:............... 91.7 %.......92.3 %
    Penalty Min avge:........21.6..........18.2

This should be a great weekend of hockey for anyone who has a chance to go !
    Mr. Popcorn, USOILJim and I will be attendance at the Sat. contest.
    Should be a very spirted weekend in Milw. Plus the Kern Center is a great hockey venue!!
    SNC Men:
    Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
    NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
    SNC Women:
    O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Well, given the way this year has gone, this is the way this season's regular season title should be settled. Adrian needs one win to grab the #1 seed in the MCHA tournament, as that would give them no worse than a tie in the standings, conference wins would be no worse than even, and Adrian would then be no worse than 2-1-1 head-to-head with MSOE. 3 points out of either team gives them the outright title.

For Adrian, it's the same thing I've talked about for 3 months. If they come out and play like they did in the Friday games against Marian and MSOE, and the game against Hamline, they'll knock MSOE squarely on their rear ends. But if they come out and play like they did in the Saturday games against Marian and MSOE, and against Eau Claire, they're extremely vulnerable.

Adrian's aura of invincibility in the MCHA is gone. That was destroyed against Marian in the first weekend of the season, and it was confirmed when MSOE tied them at Arrrington. The days where Adrian had the mental equivalent of a 1 or 2 goal lead when they stepped on the ice in conference play are gone. That's not the worst thing in the world for Adrian. It should force them to play the game they are capable of playing. Time is running very short for these seniors.
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Good point here! The MCHA has greater credibility than ever because of these 2 programs. I remember when Adrian first came into the league and started winning big time, not many gave them very much support in those early years and blogs or in the NCAA ("it is what it is"). MSOE always has been strong but with Adrian the new kid on the block winning games with a brand new program, heads turned, notices were taken and rivalries took root.
        And so after 4 years in the league, Adrain is still on top of their game. But, so is the program at MSOE. This is great for DIII hockey, for the MCHA and for both programs. Now we have a contest that will be decided on the ice and not in the boardroom. This coming weekend will be special and so will the Harris Cup.
        Can't wait for the puck [or la puck in French] to drop.
        Go, Dogs!!

Comment

This league has made big strides from top to bottom. It's easy to say this looking back on things, but let's be honest. Four years ago, this was a glorified club league masquerading as Division III. I saw the looks on the faces of the Northland players before the opening face off that first year, before the 18-2 beating they took. I saw Concordia fall behind 6-0 in the 1st to Adrian, and essentially give up after the score got to around 11-0 or 12-0 in the 2nd. I saw the Lawrence goaltender fall on his *** getting back to the net, and then have to fish the puck out of the same net about 5 seconds afterwards.

Times have changed. Adrian coming in to this league did two things. First, it provided the impetus for the AQ. We're going to see the benefits of that across the board over the coming seasons. Secondly, the beatings Adrian administered in the first two seasons got the league's attention, much like a cold bucket of ice water gets yours when it gets dumped on you. It forced the MCHA as a whole to raise their game. The rest of the league has started to make their adjustments. We'll see that in the years going forward as well.

Is this league where it wants to be, as a whole? No. But it's light years ahead of where it was five years ago. You don't need me to tell you that. Look around and see for yourself.
          Last edited by Hammer; 02-13-2011, 11:49 AM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Since I recall well the style of play that Ostapina's NEC teams used, I have to say that my allegiance for this upcoming weekend lies with Adrian.
            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Prof, there's always been a spot here on the bandwagon for you.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                Is this league where it wants to be, as a whole? No. But it's light years ahead of where it was five years ago. You don't need me to tell you that. Look around and see for yourself.
                There's no doubt the MCHA has come a long way. We will know this conference has "arrived" however when teams within the conference are in the Pool C discussion.
                If all the favourites hold serve in the playoffs, teams with possibly 8 or as many as 12 losses will be considered more worthy of a bid than the second best MCHA team with possibly 4 losses.

As is stands, the coaches and media believe we have two teams that are currently considered to be in the top 10 in all of D III.

Comment

I think all of you had made great points but last nights box was a great indicator how things will fall.

Adrian will take care of business and Lake Forest will take care of the raiders.

Final Four:
                  Adrian
                  Marian
                  Northland
                  Lake Forest

Comment

The MCHA has come a long way in 4 years and I expect this weekends series will display how much the competition has tightened in those 4 years. I agree with Hammer in the sense that if Adrian plays the way the did against Hamline, friday night MSOE, and Marian they should come out of the weekend with the outright title. I will be there for both games, its nice when the in-laws live in Milwaukee, so I will keep an eye out for my fellow Bulldog supports!

Go Bulldogs

Comment

It is great to see meaningful, regular season MCHA hockey being played this late in the season. I think all possible outcomes are, to some degree, realistic (although I think MSOE has a much smaller margin for error than the bulldogs do). Adrian is just so skilled and never seems to panic (even when the effort isn't there for a full 60 minutes). This has the makings of a very good series.

The Harris Cup should be a wide open affair this season with three very logical contenders. This competitive balance is great for the conference.

Comment

Originally posted by AVFC View Post
                        It is great to see meaningful, regular season MCHA hockey being played this late in the season. I think all possible outcomes are, to some degree, realistic (although I think MSOE has a much smaller margin for error than the bulldogs do). Adrian is just so skilled and never seems to panic (even when the effort isn't there for a full 60 minutes). This has the makings of a very good series.

The Harris Cup should be a wide open affair this season with three very logical contenders. This competitive balance is great for the conference.
                        I have been a follower of Adrian progress from the outset, and I think that their efforts have been good for the sport as a whole. I hope that that the MCHA can continue its progress because it is good for the game. I think to some extent the ECAC E and the Nascent MASCAC have stalled in the growth that they exhibited when the ECAC NE was awarded its AQ. I hope the MCHA can keep growing. Having seen them play, I think that Adrian is a good program but is going to have to work hard to continue on the track they have started.
                        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                          This league has made big strides from top to bottom. It's easy to say this looking back on things, but let's be honest. Four years ago, this was a glorified club league masquerading as Division III. I saw the looks on the faces of the Northland players before the opening face off that first year, before the 18-2 beating they took. I saw Concordia fall behind 6-0 in the 1st to Adrian, and essentially give up after the score got to around 11-0 or 12-0 in the 2nd. I saw the Lawrence goaltender fall on his *** getting back to the net, and then have to fish the puck out of the same net about 5 seconds afterwards.

Times have changed. Adrian coming in to this league did two things. First, it provided the impetus for the AQ. We're going to see the benefits of that across the board over the coming seasons. Secondly, the beatings Adrian administered in the first two seasons got the league's attention, much like a cold bucket of ice water gets yours when it gets dumped on you. It forced the MCHA as a whole to raise their game. The rest of the league has started to make their adjustments. We'll see that in the years going forward as well.

Kinda like the old adage, "the beatings will continue until moral improves." Adrian went out and built something special 4 years ago when they had the first class out there putting in the first ice at Arrington. They had nights when they could have been doing shots on the bench and still beat the other teams. But the other schools have taken notice, and they started to put in the time to get good as well, and heck, the league even jettison some dead weight that made getting the AQ much easier to get. Really don't think Crookston really needed to tell their players about what was going to happen right before they bused out to Adrian that year, but I could see why they might have wanted to have a stick it to AC weekend. Personally, a lot of their problems would have been solved if they just sucked it up and moved down to D3 instead.
                          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Anyone care to predict the scores ?

Comment

This is going to be a great weekend series. I think we are going to load up the gang and head up to Milwaukee. Anyone else going to make the trip?

Fri Score: Adrian 5 MSOE 2
                              Sat Score: Adrian 4 MSOE 3

Go BullDogs Go!

Comment

Working...
                              X