Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MN @ WI: Cheese And Paint Thinner And Dead Deer, Oh My!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MN @ WI: Cheese And Paint Thinner And Dead Deer, Oh My!

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    Since, I can remember both Woog and Lucia have always said the "goal" every year is to get home ice. IMO, in hockey we see teams who have home ice lose time and time again.
    Home ice is a goal? Not remembering that. Making the NCAA tournament is a goal. I remember Lucia saying something about top 3 finish and taking a swing at the NCAA title. I never remember getting home ice being a goal.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

[QUOTE=HarleyMC;5036761]If you want to include "all" athletes in your sample, that essentially makes you look even more stupid than just using Minnesota top end hockey talent. I don't personally care where college hockey talent comes from, but yes Minnesota has more inherent hockey talent than Wisconsin AND no UW is not stealing "all" the top end MN hockey talent from the Gophers. Backtrack much?
      /QUOTE]

Is there something in the water up there? I would say more "developed" hockey talent.

My son's teams have played Minnesota teams over the years including three games against Pee Wee A teams at a tourney this year, which we won two out of three. One team we were clearly inferior to, one we were clearly better than and one was a toss up.

The difference that I see lies in the depth, not the top end. Our top end kids are every bit as good as the Minnesota kids, but there is a much greater drop off from kid 1 to kid 15 on our team than most of the Minnesota teams. It's hard to see much of a drop off at all on most of the Minnesota teams.

The Minnesota model of developing kids is proven to be great and add to that a greater supply of bodies, more towns with rinks and a culture built around the sport and you're obviously gonna see more talent come out of there. The same ratios work for Canada vs the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        These games mean more to me if the following were not true.

Currently 7th in the WCHA.
        Currently Ranked 19th in KRACH.
        Currently tied for 19th in PWR.

Getting home ice has never been what I would consider a "goal" for the Gophers. Yet it is again this year.
        That's the point. If the team picks up it's play and pulls off a string of big wins, those numbers will quickly change. They are big games because they are against a rival and winnable if they don't have big lapses and play tough.

I think the thing about home ice as a goal is simply because that is the first thing that happens. If you want to hang a banner, you have to get home ice first (usually works that way). But I hope you are correct in that is not the season goal and they give up after making home ice with a big satisfied sense of relief. That would really be bad.

Comment

These games mean more to me if the following were not true.

Currently 7th in the WCHA.
          Currently Ranked 19th in KRACH.
          Currently tied for 19th in PWR.

Getting home ice has never been what I would consider a "goal" for the Gophers. Yet it is again this year.
          A sweep this weekend would make this number interesting and may get us on the bubble depending on other games. I agree that home ice isn't a goal, getting into the NCAA tourney should be and let's see what happens from there.
          Originally posted by CavalryNate
          Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
            A sweep this weekend would make this number interesting and may get us on the bubble depending on other games. I agree that home ice isn't a goal, getting into the NCAA tourney should be and let's see what happens from there.
            Yeah, I'm with you. I just have a hard time getting there when they knew how important the UAA series was, or the tUMD series, or the Ferris State and Union games and laid enormous eggs. IF they string something together then I'll buy futures, but until then I'm going to be teetering on the fence.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Yeah, I'm with you. I just have a hard time getting there when they knew how important the UAA series was, or the tUMD series, or the Ferris State and Union games and laid enormous eggs. IF they string something together then I'll buy futures, but until then I'm going to be teetering on the fence.
              If this was any other series I may be inclined to agree. However if this team can't piece together a good weekend for bucky, they got much bigger problems. So I'm holding out hope it will turn out okay. Last week showed a glimmer of hope even though it was still a split. Typically this team crumbles as soon as they start winning people over, but maybe one of these times it will be different.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                If this was any other series I may be inclined to agree. However if this team can't piece together a good weekend for bucky, they got much bigger problems. So I'm holding out hope it will turn out okay. Last week showed a glimmer of hope even though it was still a split. Typically this team crumbles as soon as they start winning people over, but maybe one of these times it will be different.
                I was at Mariucci when Bucky won 6-0. They are entirely capable of not getting "up" for Bucky. Bucky in this case (at least for me) has nothing to do with it.

Comment

I was at Mariucci when Bucky won 6-0. They are entirely capable of not getting "up" for Bucky. Bucky in this case (at least for me) has nothing to do with it.
                  Yes, but the next night they played an okay game and escaped with a point. It is possible to do better. They have shown it before and maybe will again this weekend and beyond.

Comment

Saying they laid eggs is totally unfair.
                    They went up to Grand Forks, where they have gotten destroyed the past few years, took game 1 and then entered the last period of the weekend only down a goal (despite getting into penalty trouble).
                    Saturday against UAA they clearly controlled play, they just couldn't overcome what has been their biggest weakness (finding the back of the net).
                    in Duluth, they played very well in the tie, and then Saturday despite having one of the best players in the country have the best night of his college career managed to keep coming back and making it a game.
                    Last weekend they outplayed Denver 5 out of 6 periods.
                    I'm not going to comment on the holiday tournament other than to say that game against Union was one of the 5 worst college hockey games I've ever been to. Both teams looked horrible.

You can go back to your typical response about "moral victories," but that's not what I'm talking about. These guys have been putting on a pretty good show lately.

Per your previous post, if MN pulls out 3 or 4 points this weekend, they will be in the mix for 5th place in the conference and right on that NCAA bubble (15th-17th in the pwr). Just for the record, DU finished 4th (out of 10) in 2004.

If UW doesn't get at least 2 points this weekend, their chances at home ice and a tourney bid will plummet.

And while you and Gurtholfin might not care about making the NCAA Tournament, I guarantee every single one of the guys on the ice this weekend is dieing to be playing hockey that last week of March. That's what's on the line this weekend, and that's why I'm looking forward to seeing these two teams go to battle.
                    Last edited by Stauber1; 02-17-2011, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                      Yes, but the next night they played an okay game and escaped with a point. It is possible to do better. They have shown it before and maybe will again this weekend and beyond.
                      If they split this weekend and manage to actually sweep the next two weekends and then sweep into the Final Five tournament then there may be some room for some optimism about a possible NCAA berth. That means however they need to do what they haven't done all year and that's string 6 wins in a row after taking a game in Wisconsin either Friday or Sat. You'll excuse me if I don't hold my breath.

Comment

Holy wow. I had no idea I would miss this much for not having checked in on this thread until Thursday. This thread is ridiculous and I can't believe Gopher fans are talking about a Gopher sweep. I know it's been awhile since Gopher fans have seen play like that, but one win(a good one albeit) doesn't make the Gophers and instant contender. I'll eat my words if it goes better than a split for the Gophers.
                        "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                          Holy wow. I had no idea I would miss this much for not having checked in on this thread until Thursday. This thread is ridiculous and I can't believe Gopher fans are talking about a Gopher sweep. I know it's been awhile since Gopher fans have seen play like that, but one win(a good one albeit) doesn't make the Gophers and instant contender. I'll eat my words if it goes better than a split for the Gophers.
                          I have no doubt the UW is a solid team. However, they have had a relatively soft schedule. If they get swept in any of the next 3 weekends they could find themselves watching the NCAAs from home this year. They virtually have no chance to move up in the pairwise in the next 3 series.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronzebacks View Post
                            I have no doubt the UW is a solid team. However, they have had a relatively soft schedule. If they get swept in any of the next 3 weekends they could find themselves watching the NCAAs from home this year. They virtually have no chance to move up in the pairwise in the next 3 series.
                            Not going to disagree with that, but that doesn't make me think the Gophers can sweep them(like some Gopher fans are hoping/predicting).
                            "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                              Not going to disagree with that, but that doesn't make me think the Gophers can sweep them(like some Gopher fans are hoping/predicting).
                              That along with the series result from earlier in the year makes a sweep prediction difficult. Hoping but not predicting.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronzebacks View Post
                                They virtually have no chance to move up in the PWR the next 3 weekends? We play 3 teams that are all TUC's. I think we have a pretty good shot at moving up if we win some games.

Comment

Working...
                                X