Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MN @ WI: Cheese And Paint Thinner And Dead Deer, Oh My!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MN @ WI: Cheese And Paint Thinner And Dead Deer, Oh My!

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Maybe I'm jaded. Maybe I've been at this too long. But the individual series start to blend together and only become memorable when there is jeopardy involved.
    It's called the aging process. We're all getting old.

MN can make noise in the tournament if they make it there - for the most part, they've played well in their games against the strongest teams (although the net result of all of them is basically a .500 record against those opponents, but the point remains: when there's a fire lit under the team's ***, they've shown an ability to hang with and beat good teams such as DU, UND, UMD, and Michigan). MN's undoing this season (so far) is their middling-to-bad results against other teams in the bottom half of the league (getting swept by Mankato and splitting at home against UAA).

Comment

Originally posted by sweatpants View Post
      Nope, I said "athletes", but you can backtrack all you want. And I could care less if Minnesota has more inherent hockey talent over Wisconsin.
      If you want to include "all" athletes in your sample, that essentially makes you look even more stupid than just using Minnesota top end hockey talent. I don't personally care where college hockey talent comes from, but yes Minnesota has more inherent hockey talent than Wisconsin AND no UW is not stealing "all" the top end MN hockey talent from the Gophers. Backtrack much?

Originally posted by sweatpants View Post
      As long as the Badgers win in the sports I root for, I'm a happy man. Isn't that the whole point, that your school's programs are winning?!? Gopher fans can thump their chests all they like about how so many Minnesota natives there are in NCAA hockey, but what good is it to brag when your own hockey team has sucked for the last 3 years.
      No, the point was you made a dumb statement that you can't prove.

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      North Dakota sucks, and Iowa alternates. I guess that's why MN has so many tornadoes.
      That's genius Brent, you need to copyright that. And where does Wisconsin fit in your meterological schema?

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Wisconsin blows.
      Last edited by HarleyMC; 02-17-2011, 05:51 AM.

Comment

I appreciate that. I thought it was one of my only reasoned and serious posts of this entire thread. It's honestly how I feel.
        So none of your football games have mattered. No national championships, so you must not care....sucks to be you.
        I HATE RED!

I always seem to choose my hand over extremely hot women.
        -BuckyforPrez (2/28/2005)

Comment

Originally posted by Bertogliat View Post
          So none of your football games have mattered. No national championships, so you must not care....sucks to be you.
          I think Football is different in that regard. In Football Wisconsin can't consider themselves a top 10 program every year where in hockey they can. There also are a ton more football programs. It's a matter of perspective and context.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            I think Football is different in that regard. In Football Wisconsin can't consider themselves a top 10 program every year where in hockey they can. There also are a ton more football programs. It's a matter of perspective and context.
            Given the larger number of programs / higher difficulty in football, I'd equate winning a Rose Bowl to a hockey NC.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
              Given the larger number of programs / higher difficulty in football, I'd equate winning a Rose Bowl to a hockey NC.
              To some degree, we still feel that way. We certainly felt that way through the 90's, but the BCS has kind of lessened the appeal or importance of the Rose Bowl.

The problem is that we're used to winning when we get to the Rose Bowl, so this year's game long term won't end up meaning much. I guess we've been spoiled, same as in hockey and that's why I can make such an audacious (to some) statement that last year's second place finish ultimately means very little.

In the long run, it will just be another year that we can't add to our national championship banner. Much the same as any year that we didn't even make the field.

Comment

As another poster said, we value Rose Bowls and certainly enjoy having a winning program overall.

But Capitol One Bowl and Alamo Bowl victories really don't mean much past the day that they happen.

Getting to the Super Bowl in 98 (97 season) and losing - well I'd rather forget that season altogether.

Getting to the Rose Bowl this year - you gotta win, and we didn't.

Are you just happy that your Twins get to the playoffs every year, or at some point do they gotta get one? Do you wear you AL Central Champs t-shirt from 3 years ago? Don't get me wrong, I respect the heck out of what the Twins have done and actually like a number of their players, but at some point you gotta beat the Yankees.
                Last edited by Gurtholfin; 02-17-2011, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                  It's called the aging process. We're all getting old.

MN can make noise in the tournament if they make it there - for the most part, they've played well in their games against the strongest teams (although the net result of all of them is basically a .500 record against those opponents, but the point remains: when there's a fire lit under the team's ***, they've shown an ability to hang with and beat good teams such as DU, UND, UMD, and Michigan). MN's undoing this season (so far) is their middling-to-bad results against other teams in the bottom half of the league (getting swept by Mankato and splitting at home against UAA).
                  Sure, either of us could catch lightning in a bottle and make a run. My original point was that I wasn't gonna spend the week getting worked up over this series when that's all we're really playing for. A chance to have a chance.

Sure, I want us to make the tourney if for no other reason than the younglings getting the experience. In addition, I like watching meaningful games, especially elimination games.

But if we sweep you or you sweep us, it's not gonna make or break my week.

To your point about how you guys fare against opponents, we seem to be the opposite where we lose the majority of our games against top teams. We hang in there and give them a game, but succumb in the end. This also has me less than optimistic or our chances should we make the field.

As always, this is a program though and I like some of our young pieces that we are assembling for future years.

I'll be at the games and will have my game face on when the puck drops.

Comment

Sure, either of us could catch lightning in a bottle and make a run. My original point was that I wasn't gonna spend the week getting worked up over this series when that's all we're really playing for. A chance to have a chance.

Sure, I want us to make the tourney if for no other reason than the younglings getting the experience. In addition, I like watching meaningful games, especially elimination games.

But if we sweep you or you sweep us, it's not gonna make or break my week.

To your point about how you guys fare against opponents, we seem to be the opposite where we lose the majority of our games against top teams. We hang in there and give them a game, but succumb in the end. This also has me less than optimistic or our chances should we make the field.

As always, this is a program though and I like some of our young pieces that we are assembling for future years.

I'll be at the games and will have my game face on when the puck drops.
                    I must admit, I have agreed with pretty much everything you have said in the thread (when you were being serious ), including the Twins comment. It was awesome the first couple years after the Twins had sucked so long just to make the playoffs, but now I expect them to do more than get swept by the Yankees in the 1st round. Merely making the playoffs is cool, but not life-changing, like winning a World Series.
                    Relating this to hockey, even if the Gophers make the NCAA tournament this year and likely lose in the 1st, maybe 2nd round, I will barely remember the games a few years down the road. Hell, I barely recall our 5-2 beatdown at the hands of BC the last time we made it (or maybe I selectively forgot that). Ugh, I HATE agreeing with North Dakota or Wisconsin fans.

Comment

I don't understand people.
                      The games this weekend are likely to be very hard fought, and very intense. Both sides should be coming in with that play-off mentality. The crowd is going to be into it. It's everything that makes college hockey great. And you say it doesn't matter because you won't remember it all that well a decade from now?

If all you care about are NC's and bragging rights, I guess that's what will happen.

Comment

I think these games are huge myself and will likely determine if we have a chance to get into the NCAA tourney or not . I would hope the Gopher players and coaches see it that way as well. If we sweep Bucky we will pass them in the WCHA standings and I'm sure climb in the PWR as well, but get swept and the season will be done.

Go Gophers!
                        Originally posted by CavalryNate
                        Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                        sigpic

Comment

I have been reading about the protests down at the capital. Are they staying up by the capital building or are we going to have chaos on State Street? Hopefully everything stays civil. I don't like the smell of tear gas all that much.
                          I HATE RED!

I always seem to choose my hand over extremely hot women.
                          -BuckyforPrez (2/28/2005)

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                            I don't understand people.
                            The games this weekend are likely to be very hard fought, and very intense. Both sides should be coming in with that play-off mentality. The crowd is going to be into it. It's everything that makes college hockey great. And you say it doesn't matter because you won't remember it all that well a decade from now?

If all you care about are NC's and bragging rights, I guess that's what will happen.
                            These games mean more to me if the following were not true.

Currently 7th in the WCHA.
                            Currently Ranked 19th in KRACH.
                            Currently tied for 19th in PWR.

Getting home ice has never been what I would consider a "goal" for the Gophers. Yet it is again this year.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I have been reading about the protests down at the capital. Are they staying up by the capital building or are we going to have chaos on State Street? Hopefully everything stays civil. I don't like the smell of tear gas all that much.
                              It's not safe.

Don't come here.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                Getting home ice has never been what I would consider a "goal" for the Gophers. Yet it is again this year.
                                Since, I can remember both Woog and Lucia have always said the "goal" every year is to get home ice. IMO, in hockey we see teams who have home ice lose time and time again.
                                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X