X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #58

Originally posted by AnchorsAway View Post
    15 years ago is more recent than 30 plus years ago is it not??? I realize the following would not necessarily figure into a mathematical formula so i guess the argument that this thread may not be the ideal place to debate this is valid, but better competition, more dominating teams, better players to come out of said "dynasty"...If you would like to message me I will gladly chat with anyone and everyone who wants to respectfully discuss the merits of LSSU vs. MTU as it relates to their pace in the annals of college hockey
    BC won three in the 2000's. Two of those with a 16 team field. Most of them are more recent than any from Michigan, Minnesota, UND, or DU. Therefore, they should be above them.

See where I am going with this?
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
      You just copied and pasted rinkpig's answers.
      Really? Christ on a cracker. He's a disowned Gopher fan.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        Really? Christ on a cracker. He's a disowned Gopher fan.
        Sorry I meant Happy's answers. **** fingers don't work.
        "My greatest achievement."
        Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          While I have to say that I currently consider MTU to be very much in the lower rankings....all-time as a whole they deserve to be up there. Like FS23 said, they'll continue to fall with each bad season.

And to use an age-old argument, back in the day when only 4 made the tourney, there is assumably higher talent (due to less programs), and therefore equally as tough, if not tougher, to make said tourney. In other words, the more programs there are, the more diluted the talent available for a team.

NCAA players picked in the NHL Draft during the years MTU won the NCAA title: 1962: no draft 1965: 0 1975: 46
          NCAA players picked in the NHL Draft during the years LSSU won the NCAA title: 1988:41 1992: 9 1994: 6

If there was higher talent in the NCAA during the years the Huskies won the title than the year the Lakers won the title than the top professional hockey league in the history of modern civilization certainly wasn't aware of it....

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
            BC won three in the 2000's. Two of those with a 16 team field. Most of them are more recent than any from Michigan, Minnesota, UND, or DU. Therefore, they should be above them.

See where I am going with this?
            Comparing apples to oranges, MTU and LSSU have the same number of NCAA titles and tournament appearances...I know for a fact that BC has less titles than all of the teams you mentioned and although I do not know for a fact, I would assume that most (if not all) of the teams you mentioned also have more NCCA tourney appearances than BC...not the same comparison

Comment

NCAA players picked in the NHL Draft during the years MTU won the NCAA title: 1962: no draft 1965: 0 1975: 46
              NCAA players picked in the NHL Draft during the years LSSU won the NCAA title: 1988:41 1992: 9 1994: 6

If there was higher talent in the NCAA during the years the Huskies won the title than the year the Lakers won the title than the top professional hockey league in the history of modern civilization certainly wasn't aware of it....
              Please stop making arguments. We're over 400 posts into this thread and you're the first person to be insistent about being terrible at making them.

There were 11 picks '65. Not rounds... picks. You're not even comparing apples to oranges anymore, this is apples to sandwiches.
              Last edited by Rhett; 02-18-2011, 01:29 AM. Reason: Misused 'your'
              BOSTON UNIVERSITY TERRIERS
              CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY SPARTANS

UNH - 1985 NCAA Women's Lacrosse Champions!

2003-2004 D-III Tournament of Posters Champion
              2010 NFL Survival Pool Champion
              2014 NFL Survival Pool Co-Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Rhett View Post
                Please stop making arguments. We're over 400 posts into this thread and your the first person to be insistent about being terrible at making them.

There were 11 picks '65. Not rounds... picks. You're not even comparing apples to oranges anymore, this is apples to sandwiches.
                Good stuff and you beat me too it. This guy can make his own rankings. He is the first guy to cry and wet his pants in this thread.
                "My greatest achievement."
                Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Please stop making arguments. We're over 400 posts into this thread and your the first person to be insistent about being terrible at making them.

lol ok pal, show me where i said there were 11 rounds in '65

Comment

lol ok pal, show me where i said there were 11 rounds in '65
                    If I make a good argument for why LSSU should be ahead of MTU, will you go away? I have the skills you lack. Please... just give me the authority and incentive to use them.

Comment

What the **** are you trying to prove with this useless stat?

Please do us all a favor and quick posting in this thread.
                      BC Eagles Hockey East Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                      National Championships: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
                      Beanpot Champions: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2004, 2001, 1994, 1983, 1976, 1965, 1964, 1963, 1961, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1954

Bentley Falcons Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
                        Good stuff and you beat me too it. This guy can make his own rankings. He is the first guy to cry and wet his pants in this thread.
                        I already acknowledged that this thread wasn't the best place to make my argument, read the whole thread, I've already given the creator of the rankings props for taking the time to figure out and post these rankings and i stand by that, my point is that numbers and stats alone don't necessarily paint the whole picture, especially when it comes to two teams as close as MTU and LSSU, it takes nothing away from MTU and I certainly wouldn't make the argument that LSSU's place in history is substantially better but I do think it is slightly better...I realize this is viewed as splitting hairs to some but after all this is a sport's fans forum, if this isn't a place to talk about something like this then where is?? Anyway's it's all in good fun and I congratulate both the Huskies and the Lakers in making NCAA hockey's all time 12 pack!!

Comment

If I make a good argument for why LSSU should be ahead of MTU, will you go away? I have the skills you lack. Please... just give me the authority and incentive to use them.
                          go.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefan06 View Post
                            What the **** are you trying to prove with this useless stat?

Please do us all a favor and quick posting in this thread.
                            quick posting?

Comment

go.
                              Here goes:

"While MTU and LSSU have achieved similar levels of success during their respective time in NCAA I, both winning 3 titles, it is significant that LSSU has accomplished this in a much shorter period of time. LSSU did not compete in an NCAA conference until the 1971-1972 inaugural CCHA season and maintained a mixed NAIA schedule, continuing to contest their postseasons with that organization until 1973-1974. MTU's history in the NCAA and its de facto forerunners dates back to 1919 and they have been eligible for inclusion in every NCAA tournament field to date.

The relatively small statistical difference between the two programs according to the current formula, despite the disparity in opportunity, really brings into question MTU's status as a "Better" program historically. As it stands, it appears there is no penalty for having a poor season. In fact, it appears that even a poor season could have still yielded a few opportunities for older, less successful programs, to distance themselves from younger programs, due to converting additional opportunities to defeat programs who have won NCAA titles and accumulate other sheer counting statistics. A penalty structure for poor seasons could rectify this problem."

Now get out of this thread.
                              Last edited by Rhett; 02-18-2011, 01:59 AM.

Comment

"10 NCAA appearances, all of which have resulted in frozen four appearances".... not saying much since for 9 of their 10 appearances only 4 teams made the tournament, and in the 10th only 6 teams made it....I realize it says a lot that they were one of the few teams that made those smaller tournaments but when you're talking about the road to the championship, LSSU's runs in 8 and 12 team tournaments wins out, not to mention they were more recent and include the biggest margin of victory in an NCAA hockey title game in 50 years, with all things in the championship and ncaa appearance categories being equal, plus the fact that Tech has 2 winning seasons in the last 30 years, I'm inclined to think LSSU should come out on top
                                They are so close that it would not surprise me if LSSU passed MTU this season. If Cornell goes on a run as they are wont to, they could pass both. In any case, I am sure that FS23 did not design his algorithm specifically to place MTU above Lake State.

As to which of the two deserves the higher ranking, I really don't care.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X