X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #58

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    *****http://www.undhockey.net/wmu.jpg******
    While Western Michigan has 3 trips to the NCAAs in their resume, they do not have an NCAA Tournament win.
    In the NCAA Tournament, the Broncos are 0-4.
    I'm assuming this is because of a two game total goal opening round?

Comment

*****http://www.undhockey.net/nu.jpg******

Niagara comes in at #37. The Purple Eagles have made three trips to the NCAA Tournament in their history, but none were as succesful as their first trip in 2000. That year Niagara knocked off New Hampshire before falling to eventual National Champion North Dakota in the Quarterfinals. The Purple Eagles success came while a member of the CHA, and most recently joined Atlantic Hockey following the demise of the CHA. Niagara is a solid program with a bright future. Should the Purple Eagles continue their success, look for them to move up in the years to come.

#37 Niagara - 6.4381 Points
      #38 Western Michigan - 5.3974 Points
      #39 Princeton - 5.1729 Points
      #40 Holy Cross - 4.8647 Points
      #41 Alaska-Anchorage - 4.8361 Points
      #42 Air Force - 4.1704 Points
      #43 Quinnipiac - 3.8994 Points
      #44 Mercyhurst - 3.468 Points
      #45 Merrimack - 3.1402 Points
      #46 Massachusetts - 3.0035 Points
      #47 Alaska - 2.9892 Points
      #48 Nebraska Omaha - 2.9092 Points
      #49 Minnesota State - 2.3131 points
      #50 Alabama Huntsville - 1.9469 Points
      #51 Army - 1.3604 points
      #52 Union - 0.6174 points
      #53 UConn - 0.1921 Points
      #54 Sacred Heart - 0.1703 Points
      #55 Bentley - .0279 points
      #56 Robert Morris - .0245 points
      #57 Canisius - .0205 points
      #58 American International - .0061 points
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Innova View Post
        I'm assuming this is because of a two game total goal opening round?
        That is correct. In 1986 they lost to Harvard 4-2, and 7-2. (They also lost to Wisconsin in '94 6-3, and to Clarkson in '96 6-1...outscored 23-8 total in NCAA Tournament play).
        North Dakota

Comment

*****http://www.undhockey.net/lowell.jpg******

UMass-Lowell comes in at #36. The Riverhawks have 3 NCAA Appearances, and two Quarterfinals in their resume. In 1994 Lowell fell in overtime to Minnesota, and in 1996 fell 5-3 to eventual National Runner-up Colorado College. A bounce or two the other way, and Lowell would have been on their way to the Frozen Four. Unfortunately for the River Hawks, they have not been back to the Tournament, and haven't put up much success lately. Since their last trip in '96, Lowell has only posted 3 20+ win seasons. They have posted back to back winning seasons entering this year, so if that can continue, perhaps Lowell will find its way back to the NCAA Tournament.

#36 UMass Lowell - 7.1081 Points
          #51 Army - 1.3604 points
          North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Runninwiththedogs View Post
            Who ****ing cares about the exact number of students enrolled in these teeny weeny schools? Just have Osorojo do a study on it.

FS23, keep up the good work, sir.
            I ****ing care.
            Originally posted by vizoroo
            Thought you had picked the avatar so we could id you. Guess he fooled me too.
            Originally posted by duper
            I obviously missed it, but it sounds like some idiot from CC took trolling to a whole new, totally inappropriate level.

I was well over the borderline. I figured I would meet you on your turf.
            Every time you post like an *******, I want to quote the idiotic comment you made where you claim not to be a troll. You're such a dick.
            Originally posted by dggoddard
            Finally you made me laugh.

There may be hope for you yet.

Comment

Originally posted by AnchorsAway View Post
              Do you have any enrollment figures for the current school year? I know Merrimack is usually in the neighborhood of 2600-2700 students, but Lake State's enrollment last year according to Michigan's state university report was 2509 and I understand the enrollment this year to be 2,568, although that hasn't been confirmed by the state because I don't think the university report is out yet for the current school year..If Merrimack is around their usual enrollment then Lake Superior State is the smallest d1 hockey school by enrollment..
              Merrimack's site quotes their enrollment at 2,000. USCHO cites the same figure. Rink capacity used to be 2600+ but since the switch to chairback seats it's down around 2400 someplace. (USCHO still lists 3,000 but that's wrong.)

US News and World Report gave Merrimack's enrollment in 2010 at 2,031.

AIC, though, would still be smaller, with some sources quoting 1,200 enrollment and others about 1700. So perhaps amend it to Merrimack being smallest in one of the four major division 1 conferences. Even Mercyhurst is quite a bit bigger.

Comment

*****http://www.undhockey.net/mercy.jpg******

Mercyhurst is the first 3-time NCAA Tournament team on the list so far. The Lakers were a dominant force in their short time in the MAAC, and had early success in the Atlantic Hockey conference, going to 3 NCAA Tournament in a 5 year span. While they were never able to pull off an upset, they came close in '05, nearly beating #1 seed Boston College. Mercyhurst had a solid '08-'09 campaign before struggling a bit last season. I have a feeling that the Lakers will be in another tournament soon. They have been relatively consistent, putting up 20+ win seasons in 6 of their first 10 years at the D-1 level.

See, now if only people at Merrimack had listened to those who suggested that it would be better to try and be more competitive in a league like the MAAC than to struggle, year after year, against the BCs and BUs of the world in Hockey East, Merrimack might have had more NCAA appearances, some more winning seasons, and most importantly, #44 on this list!

Nothing to see here, just my turn to grouse

This list needs an SOS component

Comment

Originally posted by dmjossel View Post
                  US News and World Report gave Merrimack's enrollment in 2010 at 2,031.

AIC, though, would still be smaller, with some sources quoting 1,200 enrollment and others about 1700. So perhaps amend it to Merrimack being smallest in one of the four major division 1 conferences. Even Mercyhurst is quite a bit bigger.
                  And they list CC with 2,000, so it is still not the smallest in a major conference. But I'm guessing this too will go unread like the several previous posts that point this out.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                    And they list CC with 2,000, so it is still not the smallest in a major conference. But I'm guessing this too will go unread like the several previous posts that point this out.
                    Okay, we're both small.

Happy now?

Comment

*****http://www.undhockey.net/lowell.jpg******

They have posted back to back winning seasons entering this year, so if that can continue, perhaps Lowell will find its way back to the NCAA Tournament.

Just a note, there is no way UML can post a winning season this year, it can't continue nor do they have a chance in hell of going to the NCAA's, well I suppose technically they could win out, grab the last HE playoff spot and win the HE tourney. I'm pretty sure there's a better chance Hokydope learns to use grammar properly.
                      Originally posted by Hokydad
                      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Another side note is that the newest DI team has not been mentioned on the list yet. I would expect they would be up shortly, but it depends on how much Frozen Four appearances count in the formula as they have one.
                        2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                        2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                        2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                        2010 Frozen Four participant
                        2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                          Another side note is that the newest DI team has not been mentioned on the list yet. I would expect they would be up shortly, but it depends on how much Frozen Four appearances count in the formula as they have one.
                          Kinda why i asked if DII/DIII success were in the equation. I thought we would have seen them already....

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                            RIT is definitely aided by their overall winning percentage and success in their one appearance.
                            North Dakota

Comment

*****http://www.undhockey.net/ferris.jpg******

Ferris State comes in at #35. Ferris made their lone NCAA Tournament appearance in 2003, and defeated North Dakota before losing to eventual National Champion Minnesota in the Quarterfinals. The Bulldogs also set a program record with 31 victories in that magical season. Since then, Ferris has struggled to put up similar numbers, winning 20+ games only once. However, if Ferris can put up some 20+ win seasons and make a few more trips to the NCAA Tournament, and perhaps get to a Frozen Four they could move up this list. If they continue to struggle, look for the Bulldogs to fall. For now, they sit at #35.

#35 Ferris State - 7.8912 Points
                              #51 Army - 1.3604 points
                              North Dakota

Comment

A special request to the Author/Researcher behind this thread:

Could we quietly dispense with Michigan State relatively soon? I have what may be an irrational fear that someone would see a late appearance in this thread of said program and be persuaded to change course on his imminent retirement.

Thanx for your consideration

Comment

Working...
                                X