University of North Dakota... the March past March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of North Dakota... the March past March

I don't really understand why people are getting all worked up over the decision of the Sioux this year to follow their NHL idol's practice of not "touching" preliminary or conference trophies.

Some fans have mocked it, but that's just fans of one team teasing fans of another.

Now I see that Mike Eidelbes and Joe Gladziszewski over at INCH, who never seem to pass up a chance to throw a barb at UND or it's fans, have expressed their outrage.

Tom Reale, of Without A Peer (the very good RPI blog) termed UND's behavior "dismissive".

For crying out loud, it's just college kids having a little fun. When college teams try (and I use that term loosely for some of them) to grow playoff beards like their NHL big brothers, does anyone get outraged?

Everyone knows whether the team touched the Broadmoor or Mac trophies will ultimately have zero impact on whether they win the national championship. Can't kids have any fun anymore?
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Please, PLEASE tell me you're joking. I don't see a smiley so I'm getting concerned...
      Unfortunately that post was dead serious.
      sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        I don't really understand why people are getting all worked up over the decision of the Sioux this year to follow their NHL idol's practice of not "touching" preliminary or conference trophies.

Some fans have mocked it, but that's just fans of one team teasing fans of another.

Now I see that Mike Eidelbes and Joe Gladziszewski over at INCH, who never seem to pass up a chance to throw a barb at UND or it's fans, have expressed their outrage.

Tom Reale, of Without A Peer (the very good RPI blog) termed UND's behavior "dismissive".

For crying out loud, it's just college kids having a little fun. When college teams try (and I use that term loosely for some of them) to grow playoff beards like their NHL big brothers, does anyone get outraged?

Everyone knows whether the team touched the Broadmoor or Mac trophies will ultimately have zero impact on whether they win the national championship. Can't kids have any fun anymore?
        A bigger question is why do they even care what we do? As for the RPI guy ... I can tell you what he can go kiss my you know what.

The people who say we don't respect the tradition, or the honor or whatever are merely looking for something to take a shot at. The boys know it's an honor but it's not the one they seek. They are focused on the next task at hand. People are way too overly critical and should grow up.

Keep on hating. Keep on taking shots at us, INCH.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark G. View Post
          That was last week. Don't tell me you think you are Brutus, definatly not Ceasar.
          I guess you didn't get the joke.
          'If a man wants to eat fried chicken, he's gotta get greasy.' - Kenny Rogers

Fighting Sioux Hockey: Highest NCAA Playoff Winning Percentage

There's no more pompous group of sports fans in the Twin Cities than hardcore followers of Gophers men's hockey. That makes it quite entertaining to see them in full pout after an unexpected elimination from the NCAA tournament. - Reusse

Comment

Originally posted by sfo19 View Post
            A bigger question is why do they even care what we do? As for the RPI guy ... I can tell you what he can go kiss my you know what.

The people who say we don't respect the tradition, or the honor or whatever are merely looking for something to take a shot at. The boys know it's an honor but it's not the one they seek. They are focused on the next task at hand. People are way too overly critical and should grow up.

Keep on hating. Keep on taking shots at us, INCH.
            What is interesting, is that we also get derided when we celebrate and parade those trophies around. When we won the MacNaughton in '09, people said we were celebrating like we won the National Title.

People will rip on North Dakota to rip on North Dakota. It is what it is. IF the Sioux win the title this year...think there might be some teams next year who copy us?
            North Dakota
            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Two days 'til puck drop...

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
                Hobey voting resumes:

http://www.hobeybakeraward.com
                Matt is doing well with 48% of the vote. Lets keep them coming!

Comment

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...group/homepage

Hundreds of UND items are available on the NCAA’s website, www.shopncaasports.com .

Has anyone associated with UND, the State Board of Higher Education or even the North Dakota attorney general’s office discussed this with the NCAA? Why is the organization profiting off of something it is so against?
                  http://www.shopncaasports.com/NCAASp...Fighting_Sioux

http://website.informer.com/shopncaasports.com

Official Store of NCAA Sports
                  Owner: National Collegiate Athletic Association
                  So after the the NCAA announces that the logo is hostile and offensive they promote and sell NCAA sanctioned Fighting Sioux products. This course of action by the NCAA looks like a waiver of the restrictions placed on UND.

Thank you NCAA for effectively implying that the logo is no longer hostile and abusive and that any sanctions against the use of the logo are now waived.
                  Last edited by SoCalSiouxFan; 03-24-2011, 12:34 PM.
                  "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
                    So after the the NCAA announces that the logo is hostile and offensive they promote and sell NCAA sanctioned Fighting Sioux products. This course of action by the NCAA looks like a waiver of the restrictions placed on UND.

Thank you NCAA for effectively implying that the logo is no longer hostile and abusive and that any sanctions against the use of the logo are now waived.
                    FWIW, I believe the NCAA took us off the "hostile and abusive" list after the settlement. I'm not sure on that though.
                    North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                      What is interesting, is that we also get derided when we celebrate and parade those trophies around. When we won the MacNaughton in '09, people said we were celebrating like we won the National Title.

People will rip on North Dakota to rip on North Dakota. It is what it is. IF the Sioux win the title this year...think there might be some teams next year who copy us?
                      Heh heh... welcome to our world.

Anyways, I don't think there will be teams copying the sioux... but I'll admit one might. But what bothers me is it really comes off as arrogant when you have a very tough road ahead with no guarantees in a one and done tournament. If they don't win the title, will they regret not touching the trophy? It's a weird superstition so maybe the fact it's the sioux makes it bother me a little more. (yes, I know Gopher teams have done it in the past but that still doesn't change my thoughts on it)

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                        Heh heh... welcome to our world.

Anyways, I don't think there will be teams copying the sioux... but I'll admit one might. But what bothers me is it really comes off as arrogant when you have a very tough road ahead with no guarantees in a one and done tournament. If they don't win the title, will they regret not touching the trophy? It's a weird superstition so maybe the fact it's the sioux makes it bother me a little more. (yes, I know Gopher teams have done it in the past but that still doesn't change my thoughts on it)
                        Well, FWIW, the Senior Group had already won, and paraded around both the Broadmoor and the MacNaughton Cup. They are great trophies to win, and after the season is over, they are nice to reflect on, and historically they add value to a program. Given all that, this Senior Group doesn't care right now about them. They want to win the National Title.

A lot of people are making this off as like the Sioux threw the trophies into the ice, gathered as a group and defecated all over them. That couldn't be further from the case. They celebrated, and enjoyed the moment. They took pictures with the trophies and were all smiles. They just didn't touch them. Why does it even matter?
                        North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                          Why does it even matter?
                          it doesn't. We'll defend the Sioux to the death over their actions, and opposing fans will denounce the players actions as cocky, arrogant, whatever they can do. Obviously, we as fans know that touching the trophy or not touching the trophy will not make the difference in the Sioux winning the national championship. But there is a saying in sports, something about acting like you've been there before. Quite frankly, the Sioux are doing just that. This team has won the MacNaughton and Broadmoor in two consecutive years. They don't need to be parading around the ice with the trophy, screaming to the heavens.

Of course, then people will rag on them for touching the national championship trophy if it comes down to that, so whatever.

Anyone have a TV schedule of the rest of the games this weekend? I have DirecTV. vf, I'm looking at you. And your pretty bike shop.
                          Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

Let's just shoot everyone who says anything. This is why I hate people. Because they are all dumbarse pieces of donkey sh^t.
                            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                              Let's just shoot everyone who says anything. This is why I hate people. Because they are all dumbarse pieces of donkey sh^t.
                              can we start with chanting Tech fans?
                              Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

Originally posted by Sloe Gin View Post
                                Anyone have a TV schedule of the rest of the games this weekend? I have DirecTV. vf, I'm looking at you. And your pretty bike shop.
                                Check ESPNU.
                                Darn right it's pretty! When are you coming down to check it out in person?
                                I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X