University of North Dakota... the March past March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by brianvf View Post
    I can't believe how well Davidson is playing. A goal in each F5 game for a walk-on that wasn't even considered someone that would get playing time this year. Very impressive.
    He looked very good during the tourney...
    Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

• Re: University of North Dakota... the March past March

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
      I can't believe how well Davidson is playing. A goal in each F5 game for a walk-on that wasn't even considered someone that would get playing time this year. Very impressive.
      Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
      He looked very good during the tourney...
      The definite advantage of depth. It isn't a matter of not having any injuries over the course of a season, its a matter of how many, to whom, and how well your team can fill in the gaps when they hit.
      sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
        Completely agreed. Hopefully we get placed in Green Bay, as 1) it's close, and we could have quite a few Sioux fans there and 2) it's a Saturday/Sunday series. That would give us an extra day of rest, PLUS, and this is most important, Friday is my wife and I's anniversary. I don't want to be in the doghouse.
        My youngest brother, a season ticket holder, planned (a few years ago now) his wedding for early April, because the NCAA tourney was always done by then. But, they added the week off, and now it almost always falls on the weekend closest to his anniversary. Too bad for him!
        Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
          That could be either one of two things then...either RPI will come out flying, or rusty.
          Between chuckles, RPI coach Seth Appert said pretty much the same thing http://www.youtube.com/user/RPIathle.../0/i_UIatvJ1vM (about 12:20).
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            Between chuckles, RPI coach Seth Appert said pretty much the same thing http://www.youtube.com/user/RPIathle.../0/i_UIatvJ1vM (about 12:20).
            Anybody see that terrific, hard hitting "legal" checking from behind hit by Nelson on Friday night? Wow, to give him a 5 minute major and game dq was way over the top! This is hockey! I was in total agreement with all the Sioux fans there that were upset with the call. No way should a Sioux player be called for such infractions, they play hard and fair unlike SCSU players. Of course if the hit were against St. Frattin, Hackstooge would have sent out his 4th line center to enact justice, or would he have sent out Eides to do the necessary job?
            There is Hope . . .

Comment

Originally posted by The Vicar View Post
              Anybody see that terrific, hard hitting "legal" checking from behind hit by Nelson on Friday night? Wow, to give him a 5 minute major and game dq was way over the top! This is hockey! I was in total agreement with all the Sioux fans there that were upset with the call. No way should a Sioux player be called for such infractions, they play hard and fair unlike SCSU players. Of course if the hit were against St. Frattin, Hackstooge would have sent out his 4th line center to enact justice, or would he have sent out Eides to do the necessary job?
              I enjoyed watching SCSU play this weekend.
              Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
              when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
              Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Cheap shots not withstanding
                There is Hope . . .

Comment

From what a couple RPI fans have told me, RPI tends to play up to their opponents level. The Sioux have a very difficult task at hand. No scoreboard watching. Go take care of business. Score early and often. Take an extra day off. But just take care of business on Saturday.

The WCHA columnist told me the Sioux's focus is scary. I hope she's right
                  Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

Originally posted by Sloe Gin View Post
                    From what a couple RPI fans have told me, RPI tends to play up to their opponents level. The Sioux have a very difficult task at hand. No scoreboard watching. Go take care of business. Score early and often. Take an extra day off. But just take care of business on Saturday.

I've watched RPI twice this year. The first was a game against Cornell, and they looked awful (lost like 4 or 5-1), the second they looked great against Yale (won 5-2). I fully expect RPI to bring everything they have. If we don't play our best game, we will lose.

I was talking, I believe in the RPI thread, about our focus. Over the last few weeks it would have been easy to lose focus and play a poor game, but we haven't (not that we've played great the whole time either). It would have been easy to over-celebrate the Broadmoor, especially given the way we won, but we didn't. Anything can happen in a one and done situation, but I think we'll come out and play well.
                    North Dakota
                    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

In 10 seasons of covering Fighting Sioux hockey, I have never seen the team and coaches so focused. The attitude down the stretch has been: forget the last game and concentrate on the next. I'd be surprised if UND overlooks RPI.
                      Who decided that we needed both North and South Dakota? It seems like a lot of wasted paperwork to me. -- Creed Bratton

Comment

They definitely have the eye of the tiger.

Was it just me or did it seem that DU was able to "solve" UND's dominant forecheck on saturday night. It seemed that they were not able to keep the puck in the DU end for any long periods of time.

Comment

You can say her name. 99% of us know who/what she is.
                          sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by PCM View Post
                            I agree that getting Gregoire back will be a major factor for the Sioux next weekend. Between him being out of the lineup and Kristo and MacWilliam coming back into it, there was some major juggling of lines and shuffling of defensive pairs this weekend. This hurt most on the power play where the Sioux went 0-6 for the tournament.

The Gregoire-Knight-Hextall line was showing some excellent chemistry and both power play units were playing very well. Having Gregoire back will enable UND to get back to the combinations that were working well together. Plus, between having Kristo back and Davidson showing that he can be an offensive threat, the Sioux should be able to generate plenty of offense.
                            Will Gregoire be back? Fantasycollegehockey.com player here dying to know!
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by lord k View Post
                              They definitely have the eye of the tiger.

Was it just me or did it seem that DU was able to "solve" UND's dominant forecheck on saturday night. It seemed that they were not able to keep the puck in the DU end for any long periods of time.
                              I thought I noticed a couple of things.

First, I thought that as the game wore on UND backed off a little on the physical play. I don't know if it was on purpose (to avoid additional penalties), because they were a little tired, because DU did a great job of moving the puck and avoiding contact, or what, but we seemed to play a less physical style as the game wore on, and DU was able to transition better because of it.

Second, when UND is really bottling a team up, part of it is usually due to an aggressive offside pinch by their defense. The puck will be cycled down low. As the wings get bottled up in a corner, they will shoot the puck around the boards to the offside wing. When we're playing well, that defenseman will pinch down against the opposing teams forward and keep him from getting possession or getting the puck outside the zone. This is a very effective form of attack Hak's teams have always used.

In the second half of Saturday's game, and especially after we got a 2-1 lead, you almost never saw that happen. The D-man would back off and let DU carry the puck out, pinching them off at the red line and forcing a dump in, or let DU simply get the puck out by shooting it off the glass.

The game, at times, took on the appearance of a tennis match with the puck simply volleyed back and forth across the respective bluelines.

I also don't think you can underestimate DU's talent, especially on the blueline. Pretty experienced group back there, and one that doesn't frequently get caught out of position.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Did SCSU play this weekend? What planet?

Comment

Working...
                                X