University of North Dakota... the March past March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: University of North Dakota... the March past March

Just a thought...but if we sweep UAA will that knock them out of a TUC and actually hurt us in the PWR? I need a calculating guru...

Also, I believe the Sioux will win one game by about 3 goals and there will be one nail-biter.
    'If a man wants to eat fried chicken, he's gotta get greasy.' - Kenny Rogers

Fighting Sioux Hockey: Highest NCAA Playoff Winning Percentage

There's no more pompous group of sports fans in the Twin Cities than hardcore followers of Gophers men's hockey. That makes it quite entertaining to see them in full pout after an unexpected elimination from the NCAA tournament. - Reusse

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Rane View Post
      Just a thought...but if we sweep UAA will that knock them out of a TUC and actually hurt us in the PWR? I need a calculating guru...

Also, I believe the Sioux will win one game by about 3 goals and there will be one nail-biter.
      If we sweep UAA, I think they should remain a TUC, but not by much. Their current RPI is .5095. If we win both games, their RPI will take a dip, but probably remain above the .5000 mark.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

A few years back the size of the venue was a major consideration as to which team went where, even if it meant giving one of the elite eight home ice advantage. The size of the rink/prospective size of the gate may still be a major consideration as to who goes where.

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
          A few years back the size of the venue was a major consideration as to which team went where, even if it meant giving one of the elite eight home ice advantage. The size of the rink/prospective size of the gate may still be a major consideration as to who goes where.
          NCAA hasn't really factored the gate into the placements in year's past. Last year's regional attendance was pitiful. I was in Albany and there were three teams from the east and the crowd was tiny. The cost of tickets in this economy make it tough for families to go. As was discussed last year extensively it's time to move away from the neutral site arena venues. Give the number one seeds the home ice--other wise the seeds mean nothing. That would raise the level of excitement and make the games in the first round played before a packed house--empty games in a tourney makes for a very strange atmosphere.

Congrats to Chay Genoway for being named a four time WCHA Scholar Athlete (3.5+ GPA). Very impressive accomplishment.
          Last edited by MagnessMan; 02-10-2011, 11:58 PM.
          Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
            Give the number one seeds the home ice--other wise the seeds mean nothing. That would raise the level of excitement and make the games in the first round played before a packed house--empty games in a tourney makes for a very strange atmosphere.
            I guess I haven't thought about this idea in awhile and in theory I like it, but how would the logistics work? All three games of the first two rounds at the #1 seed? What if all the #1 seeds were in the East? Just the first round at the #1 seed and then a travel day?

How about the first round game at the higher seed and then make the final 8 a four day tourney in one location the next week... Thursday/Friday games and then the Final on Sunday?
            Panzer for Hobey.

"With one team playing at home, the audience was understandably dominated by maroon and gold sweaters. One notable exception was the fan who showed up wearing a replica of Alaska Anchorage’s bright gold third sweaters."
            INCH, March 27, 2005

Seawolf Jersey Guy is my alter ego.

Comment

Originally posted by gordwiser View Post
              I guess I haven't thought about this idea in awhile and in theory I like it, but how would the logistics work? All three games of the first two rounds at the #1 seed? What if all the #1 seeds were in the East? Just the first round at the #1 seed and then a travel day?

How about the first round game at the higher seed and then make the final 8 a four day tourney in one location the next week... Thursday/Friday games and then the Final on Sunday?
              This is how it is now...

Week 1: Regionals
              Week 2: Off Week
              Week 3: Frozen Four

I think they should do this...

Week 1: Best of 3 First Round at Higher Seed
              Week 2: Best of 3 Quarterfinals at Higher Seed

Same amount of time, you'll get probably 5-6x the attendance (if not more) than the way it is now, and it actually makes being a top seed important.
              North Dakota
              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Had to like the results last night. Hope the Sioux come out intense tonight as well.
                sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                  This is how it is now...

Week 1: Regionals
                  Week 2: Off Week

I think they should do this...

Week 1: Best of 3 First Round at Higher Seed
                  Week 2: Best of 3 Quarterfinals at Higher Seed

Same amount of time, you'll get probably 5-6x the attendance (if not more) than the way it is now, and it actually makes being a top seed important.
                  Interesting idea, but a lot of teams play in multi purpose arenas so they'd basically be asking 58 teams to block off two additional weekends in their venue and I don't see that happening. Maybe just the first round a best of three and then the remaining games an 8 team long weekend. I hate that weekend off in there, too, but I'm sure they're avoiding title games in two sports on one weekend. I wouldn't mind shortening the season and playing before the hoops final, but I doubt that happens either.
                  Panzer for Hobey.

"With one team playing at home, the audience was understandably dominated by maroon and gold sweaters. One notable exception was the fan who showed up wearing a replica of Alaska Anchorage’s bright gold third sweaters."
                  INCH, March 27, 2005

Seawolf Jersey Guy is my alter ego.

Comment

A few random thoughts....
                    Nice weekend - it was a sweep that we should have, and did. It is probably tough to focus on Saturday after a blow-out win on Friday (see RMU series) but they were intense from the opening faceoff.
                    They are catching SCSU when they are playing what looks like their best hockey of the year. The Sioux will need to be ready for a tough series, and need at least a split.
                    Have you heard Ben Blood mentioned lately? Not much, which is a good thing. He is a good defenseman, and has taken far fewer of the penalties that he took last year.
                    The third line - fans of lots of teams get worried when the third line is on the ice. I just wonder how often they are going to contribute to the scoring. Depth is a wonderful thing.
                    No more injuries and we'll do fine in the playoffs.
                    Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                      A few random thoughts....
                      Nice weekend - it was a sweep that we should have, and did. It is probably tough to focus on Saturday after a blow-out win on Friday (see RMU series) but they were intense from the opening faceoff.
                      They are catching SCSU when they are playing what looks like their best hockey of the year. The Sioux will need to be ready for a tough series, and need at least a split.
                      Have you heard Ben Blood mentioned lately? Not much, which is a good thing. He is a good defenseman, and has taken far fewer of the penalties that he took last year.
                      The third line - fans of lots of teams get worried when the third line is on the ice. I just wonder how often they are going to contribute to the scoring. Depth is a wonderful thing.
                      No more injuries and we'll do fine in the playoffs.
                      I think the same thing! I look back over the last 3 games of 6-6-3 goals scored and no one doubled up in a game, other teams can just key on one guy or line. I think the same about Blood he is quietly becomeing a very good player! And Evan Trupp is the guy to keep rolling he is so elusive out there when you think he is going to get his bell rung he sneaks out to the side and makes a hell of a pass or shot!
                      Fighting Sioux Hockey

Waiting the arrival of the ZANE!!!!!

Superman Wears Evan Trupp pj's to bed!!!

Comment

For those of you at last nights game, what was your opinion of the pregame fire show to the song Welcome to the Jungle? I thought it was awesome --very classy..... got the crowd into it right away!!
                        Fighting Sioux Hockey

Waiting the arrival of the ZANE!!!!!

Superman Wears Evan Trupp pj's to bed!!!

Comment

Here's another website to visit and vote for Chay. It is an honor that he deserves.
                          seniorclassaward.com
                          Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by jdr1 View Post
                            For those of you at last nights game, what was your opinion of the pregame fire show to the song Welcome to the Jungle? I thought it was awesome --very classy..... got the crowd into it right away!!
                            No offense or anything, but anything that is associated with GnR can't be classy. Stick with your normal pregame stuff. It's fantastic.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                              Here's another website to visit and vote for Chay. It is an honor that he deserves.
                              seniorclassaward.com
                              Make that a link already! seniorclassaward.com
                              sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                No offense or anything, but anything that is associated with GnR can't be classy. Stick with your normal pregame stuff. It's fantastic.
                                "Welcome to the Jungle" was a staple in the old Ralph. It got a bit stale and I don't think it's been played much in the new Ralph. But hearing it again and having it paired with Michael Morgen's amazing fire dance really got the crowd pumped up.
                                Who decided that we needed both North and South Dakota? It seems like a lot of wasted paperwork to me. -- Creed Bratton

Comment

Working...
                                X