University of North Dakota... the March past March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of North Dakota... the March past March

What is the "secret" to NoDak's continued success? I've been following Badger hockey for more years than I want to admit here, but ND NEVER seems to rebuild, but reload. Obviously you have to get the right recruits to sign...what else?
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
      What is the "secret" to NoDak's continued success? I've been following Badger hockey for more years than I want to admit here, but ND NEVER seems to rebuild, but reload. Obviously you have to get the right recruits to sign...what else?
      I think these quotes sum up a very important piece of the puzzle.

"This is the consummate team that you'd like to have. Very unselfish, it's an all-for-one mentality. We talked about checking egos at the door. You really have to check them at the state line when you're playing for this team. Kudos to the Fighting Sioux!" -Frank Mazzocco (March 20, 2010)

"All of Hakstol's teams have been totally unified. Their unselfish play and teamwork is something that every team would like to have, vows to have, or pretends to have. North Dakota has it, and no other team matches the family-style unity of the Fighting Sioux." -John Gilbert, WCHA.com (January 6, 2011)

Comment

I'd ask Denver the same question!? Gwoz lost a huge class but still managed to get his new recruits to help take the team to a MacNaughton run and both times this year I was scared for UND to face them and get swept. "Secret"? A multi-million dollar facility with state of the art training and recovery systems and Dean Blais. Blais isn't called "Mean Dean" for nothing, he literally is one of the scariest men I have ever encountered in a hockey arena and guess who his protege is.......Hakstol. Both have a no non-sense approach to players and the program, just look at UNO they don't have a single player who is a game changer like Frattin or Gregoire but they are still top 3 in the conference.
        "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
        Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
        The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
        Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

[QUOTE=LTsatch;5055312]I guess Harvard's 25 Ivy League championships do not count?

I really enjoy your comments and analysis on the Yale threads, but you really should apologize for this one. Come on, Ivy Championships? Perhaps so, but let's get real.

Comment

42 first place votes.

http://www.uscho.com/rankings
            "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSioux View Post
              Look at the Pairwise, every game the Sioux have played (until next weekend) was against a TUC (Team Under Consideration). Yale is half their games, BC even less. Only UAA and SCSU are close at 2 and 3 games against others (again, equal after next weekend).

Wisco is 7-14 against TUC teams and padded their stats with a 12-0 run against others. No wonder they're on the outside looking in now. The tough schedule has the Sioux way up in the KRACH and #1 in the RPI. Too bad the Pairwise still favors Yale.

In the end, doesn't matter, it's time to win one BIG ONE in the Hakstol era regardless of seed.
              Ain't gonna happen!
              There is Hope . . .

Comment

{sigh}, I'm as excited as everyone else about the chance to win the McNaughton this weekend but let's stop all this "#8 is in the bag" business and just enjoy what the boys are able to accomplish this year. Jesus it's starting to sound like a Yael* thread in here.
                "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Let's face it, the arena is a huge competitive advantage. Add to that the proximity to Minnesota and the Canadian prairies and the tradition, and UND does have a head start. Given all that, it's still amazing that Hakstol has managed either a Frozen Four appearance, a MacNaughton or a Broadmoor in every year. I think the biggest single factor is the culture he's fostered that convinces players to stay longer than they otherwise might. It results in older teams, and that last year from top end guys is the best year.

That said, next year will be another huge challenge, with seven important seniors and perhaps a few underclassmen leaving.

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                    {sigh}, I'm as excited as everyone else about the chance to win the McNaughton this weekend but let's stop all this "#8 is in the bag" business and just enjoy what the boys are able to accomplish this year. Jesus it's starting to sound like a Yael* thread in here.
                    I don't think anyone in here thinks #8 is "in the bag". There is rejoicing over clinching a share of the MacNaughton. Nothing more, nothing less. The WCHA playoffs are going to be very tough, and the #1 seed frequently doesn't get the Broadmoor. The NCAAs will be another tough road, and there is no single clear cut favorite. Several teams have the ability to win the national title. But we've got at least a share of one major trophy locked up, and we're glad to have it.

I certainly hope for more in the coming weeks.
                    sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Just a question ? How many times has 1 team won all three trophys in the same year ? The MacNaughton, Broadmoor , and the NCAA! And one step further add a hobey into the mix?
                      Fighting Sioux Hockey

Waiting the arrival of the ZANE!!!!!

Superman Wears Evan Trupp pj's to bed!!!

Comment

#8 is in the bag!!!!! Just adding credibility to cross cheque's post.
                        "My greatest achievement."
                        Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
                          #8 is in the bag!!!!! Just adding credibility to cross cheque's post.

Comment

Originally posted by jdr1 View Post
                            Just a question ? How many times has 1 team won all three trophys in the same year ? The MacNaughton, Broadmoor , and the NCAA! And one step further add a hobey into the mix?
                            When you add the Hobey into the mix, only 1 team has ever done that. In 1987, North Dakota won the MacNaughton, the Broadmoor, the NCAA Title, and Hrkac won the Hobey.

If you take the Hobey out of the equation, several teams have won the MacNaughton, Broadmoor and NCAA in the same season...

2005 Denver (shared MacNaughton)
                            1997 North Dakota (shared MacNaughton)
                            1991 Northern Michigan
                            1990 Wisconsin
                            1987 North Dakota
                            1980 North Dakota (were Tournament co-champs)
                            1977 Wisconsin
                            1968 Denver (were Tournament co-champs)
                            1962 Michigan Tech
                            1961 Denver (were Tournament co-champs)
                            1960 Denver (were Tournament co-champs)

There was no WCHA Tournament prior to 1960, and TECHNICALLY, the Broadmoor and MacNaughton have only been awarded in the WCHA in the same season since 1985. So, given that, you can remove all teams before 1985 off the list. I included teams Pre-'85 that won the WCHA Tournament, Regular Season Title and NCAA Title.
                            North Dakota
                            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                              When you add the Hobey into the mix, only 1 team has ever done that. In 1987, North Dakota won the MacNaughton, the Broadmoor, the NCAA Title, and Hrkac won the Hobey.

If you take the Hobey out of the equation, several teams have won the MacNaughton, Broadmoor and NCAA in the same season...

2005 Denver (shared MacNaughton)
                              1997 North Dakota (shared MacNaughton)
                              1991 Northern Michigan
                              1990 Wisconsin
                              1987 North Dakota
                              1980 North Dakota (were Tournament co-champs)
                              1977 Wisconsin
                              1968 Denver (were Tournament co-champs)
                              1962 Michigan Tech
                              1961 Denver (were Tournament co-champs)
                              1960 Denver (were Tournament co-champs)

There was no WCHA Tournament prior to 1960, and TECHNICALLY, the Broadmoor and MacNaughton have only been awarded in the WCHA in the same season since 1985. So, given that, you can remove all teams before 1985 off the list. I included teams Pre-'85 that won the WCHA Tournament, Regular Season Title and NCAA Title.
                              All that "greatest program" research being put to good use

Comment

The SUE have a good team but I really doubt they make it to the frozen four, they wont win the the WCHA F5, they might make it to F5 final game but they will not win! Like I said they have a solid team but its not going to happen this year, the team that wins the regular season title rarely wins the F5. The reason the SUE are so good from year to year is you have to look where they are getting their players from, Canada. Canadien hockey is the best hockey in the world right now and they produce the most talented kids right now. Hey when you have to change your name you could change it to team Canada it would fit pretty good! Have the Canadian flag as your logo change your colors to red and white like wisconsin.

Comment

Working...
                                X