33rd Annual Women's Beanpot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 33rd Annual Women's Beanpot?

Beanpot starts tomorrow, with the marquee matchup between BU and BC being the highlight. I see this being another tight game although I wouldn't be surprised with a definitive BC win with the injuries Holze and Poulin suffered over the weekend. BC seems like they're starting to get scoring from players not named Stack and Schaus obviously continues to be solid in net. Whether BU will be at full strength will be a huge factor and hopefully Sperry continues her streak against BC.

Harvard vs NU should be a great one as well as the two teams seem pretty evenly matched.

Re: 33rd Annual Women's Beanpot?

I understand there is going to be a charge at the gate. Does this possibly mean that the concessions will be open, too?

Shocking, I know, but it could be the first time that one can buy popcorn or a hot dog during a women's hockey game at BC......IF.... they open a stand or two.
    Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bumbles View Post
      Harvard vs NU should be a great one as well as the two teams seem pretty evenly matched.
      This was prescient.

Comment

Harvard has the postgame presser, its two shootout goals + the clinching save, posted here:
        http://gocrimson.com/sports/wice/201...201102087a5sud

BC leads 1-0 entering the 3rd.

Comment

Originally posted by IceIsNice View Post
          I understand there is going to be a charge at the gate. Does this possibly mean that the concessions will be open, too?

Shocking, I know, but it could be the first time that one can buy popcorn or a hot dog during a women's hockey game at BC......IF.... they open a stand or two.
          Charging at the gate? Seriously?

BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES

Comment

Originally posted by vellnueve View Post
            Eight bucks. Concession stands were open all the way around and doing a pretty good business too.

Comment

Originally posted by vellnueve View Post
              The Women's beanpot is now run by Hockey East and not the individual schools. I haven;t asked, but I believe that the admission revenue goes to the league (and if so, hopefully in a separate account). Hockey East has been working to improve the Women's Beanpot, including starting the Women's Hall of Fame. They also offer a small selection of merchandise for sale at the games.

Sean
              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
              BU Hockey highlights and extras
              NCAA Hockey Financials
              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Hockey purists will be touched by the way that the Harvard website has reported last night's game as a tie (which it was....)

As an ECAC school, Harvard doesn't believe in shootouts. Both Harvard and Northeastern finished the game tied and each therefore deserves a point -- one point.

In order to have one team appear in the final game next week, the shootout was necessary. But only for that purpose.

Come to think of it, shouldn't Harvard and NU alternate periods versus BC next week?

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                  The Women's beanpot is now run by Hockey East and not the individual schools. I haven;t asked, but I believe that the admission revenue goes to the league (and if so, hopefully in a separate account). Hockey East has been working to improve the Women's Beanpot, including starting the Women's Hall of Fame. They also offer a small selection of merchandise for sale at the games.

Sean
                  I was told during the 2007 Beanpot at BC that the reason the concession stands weren't open during BC game's (and why admission wasn't charged) was that it cost $3000 to have the ticket booths open, various doors manned, etc. and that it couldn't generate the revenue neccesary to come close to breaking even.

Comment

Originally posted by Watson Rink View Post
                    In order to have one team appear in the final game next week, the shootout was necessary. But only for that purpose.
                    Or they could just play until they have a winner as was the previous practice. Just ask Harvard about one such game. The men's Beanpot doesn't use shoot outs. I said it before when this change was made, but it just smells of paternalism towards the women, and/ or HEA just doesn't want to expend the same time and resources for the women to determine a proper winner. Either one is unacceptable in my view.
                    113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                      I was told during the 2007 Beanpot at BC that the reason the concession stands weren't open during BC game's (and why admission wasn't charged) was that it cost $3000 to have the ticket booths open, various doors manned, etc. and that it couldn't generate the revenue neccesary to come close to breaking even.
                      I was told the same thing about about Agganis Arena, except the cost was $10,000 and it included the ice crew and all other requirements for hosting an event. As for Conte, I don't think a few ticket sellers and ticket takers can cost so much unless they are really well paid!

Also, other schools, including BU, do charge and either they are breaking even or are willing to take the loss as part of supporting the women's program.

However, I still see no reason for not opening a concession stand. In the past PC and UConn haven't charged admission, but both still had consession stands open. Even with only 100-200 people I think consessions make money.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                      NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Overtime

Originally posted by freak View Post
                        Or they could just play until they have a winner as was the previous practice. Just ask Harvard about one such game. The men's Beanpot doesn't use shoot outs. I said it before when this change was made, but it just smells of paternalism towards the women, and/ or HEA just doesn't want to expend the same time and resources for the women to determine a proper winner. Either one is unacceptable in my view.
                        I think the 2007 Harvard-BC game 3 OT game that ended at 12:21 AM is the reason the change was made.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                        NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Some of the men's holiday tournaments use shootouts, even if the Beanpot doesn't, right? I still don't like shootouts for the final.

Comment

Overtime

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
                            Some of the men's holiday tournaments use shootouts, even if the Beanpot doesn't, right? I still don't like shootouts for the final.
                            Yes, there are men's tournaments that use the shootout for both semifinals, and if I recall correctly, the championship game. I also believe that the Women's Beanpot still uses standard overtimes to decide the winner for the championship game.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                            NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Re: Overtime

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                              I also believe that the Women's Beanpot still uses standard overtimes to decide the winner for the championship game.
                              Ok, good. If that's indeed the case, then I have no problem with the rules. I'm fine with the shootouts for the women's semifinals, regardless of what the men do.

Comment

Working...
                              X