NMU @ MSU February 11/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NMU @ MSU February 11/12

Both teams are battling for a good playoff spot, odds are loser's season is over.
    NMU

Re: NMU @ MSU February 11/12

Let's be real here. After Friday nights fiasco against LSS, and even though they may have played better on Saturday night, getting swept at home against a team below you in the standings before the series started is serious cause for concern. Not being able to get any points the past two weekends I believe has made it very difficult to secure any home ice series for the playoffs. They are the most penalized team in the CCHA, have given up the most goals against in the CCHA, and for a team that believes they must win by playing a defensive game, these numbers are very telling. Look around the Berry Center, it is half filled at best. People have lost interest, and it's not because they are losing, it's because how they are losing. Undisciplined penalties, one after another. That, coupled with a very boring style of play has turned many fans off. I have listened to the many interviews with the coaching staff talking about their youth and inexperience. I will agree with that, they will at some point reap the benefits of this struggle. But the Friday night performance against one of your bitter rivals was horrible. Their season really hung on this weekend, and their effort was uninspiring at best. Getting dominated on your home ice while taking a number of awful penalties in the third period made me feel as if they had given up on the season. They will be hard pressed with 4 of the next 6 games on the road and the last 2 at home against Michigan, who is in a battle for the top spot and loaded with talent that can move. Northern spends way too much time in their own zone, especially against the more talented teams. Tough to generate any offense when you are playing defense all the time. I am realistic, Northern is an offensively challlenged team. Who on this team scares their opponents? Losing Olver and Gustafson has hurt more that anyone could have realized. And to top that off, people you had hoped could carry the load have not produced and as a result have sat throughout the year. On a good note, Northern in past years have played well in East Lansing, and hopefully can secure some must needed points on the weekend and some momentum leading up to the playoffs.

Comment

I think this falls into the "Must Win" category... Let's see how the team responds to the pressure...
      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
        I think this falls into the "Must Win" category... Let's see how the team responds to the pressure...
        This falls into the must-win category for both teams. Let's see who steps up.
        "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
        - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Arwen22266 View Post
          Both teams have secured a CCHA playoff spot. We can all relax and go Code 3 on the hardhat lights.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
            Both teams have secured a CCHA playoff spot. We can all relax and go Code 3 on the hardhat lights.
            Well every team in the CCHA has secured a playoff spot, but that's not the point. Both teams can still finish towards the middle with a decent seed, that's what's on the line this weekend (plus a possible tiebreaker). Keys to winning this weekend are Defense and stay out of the box.

Go Cats!
            NMU

Comment

Both teams will be desperate but I am feeling confident about this weekend. I think MSU will be ready to play and will jump on Northern. We've had only 3 home games since early December so I have been excited for this weekend for quite a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Arwen22266 View Post
                I'll up the ante and say it's a "must sweep" series for both teams. I don't think a split does anybody any good this weekend.

As for MSU, it's a good time for upward mobility. Six games left, and four are at home against beatable competition. Now would be a great time for this team to start playing up to its potential.
                Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                66 - 86 - 07
                59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

I'll be in East Lansing rooting on the Wildcats one last time against Coach Comley before we welcome him HOME.

My expectation is that I will have a great time, win or lose. My expectation for the team, well...this season has gone pretty much how I expected it to. Our senior losses and early departures were something most of us knew would be hard to replace. Well, we haven't come close in that regard.

My hope from here on out is that we see growth from our underclassmen in the coming weeks. I want to see NMU play competitive hockey and not just shut it down and coast to the basement. While we are no better than a 8-12 team at the moment, it is my hope we show more consistency and competitiveness on the ice. Play like Wildcats, not ***** cats!!! Each and every shift, for 60 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by MOJO View Post
                    While we are no better than a 8-12 team at the moment, it is my hope we show more consistency and competitiveness on the ice.
                    Geez, I sure hope we're better than 12th!

Comment

At this point I don't care about NCAA's I just hope the cats do well in the playoffs and upcoming series and make it back to the Joe for the 4th year in a row
                      NMU

Comment

Oh hey, Wildcats sweep... Nice work boys... Way to be resilient tonight
                        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

This one of my only looks at Northern this year. After that 1st period, I see the concern, but where did that team come from the 2nd and 3rd? That was a couple periods of hockey to build upon, hopefully, they do.
                          “They are a **** site better than the U.S. Army, at least we know that they will be there in the morning.”
                          – Lewis B. Chesty Puller
                          when a journalist asked him about being surrounded by 22. enemy divisions

Comment

I think we finally found the right lines. 10 goal weekend, well above average for us.
                            NMU

Comment

There are a lot of things about this NMU team that scream "scary" for future seasons, but the inconsistency has crippled this young team this year. How we can get swept by LSSU at home and then sweep MSU in East Lansing is beyond me, although Kapalka was very hot over that weekend.

NMU will likely miss the tourney this year, save a crazy CCHA tourney run, but you have to be looking at the next three years with a big smile.
                              Wildcat Hockey!

B.S. NMU 11'
                              M.B.A. Marquette University 13'

Comment

Working...
                              X