Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
    That's crazy. There isn't a goalie on Earth who never allows a soft goal.
    A soft goal every now and then is expected. 1-3 every game is unacceptable.

Comment

• Re: Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Goal tending is the weak link with this team and sometimes team defense in front of the goaltender. Maine is a good team not an outstanding team. Played very well in those two games against UNH but not good enough to win. I don't know how anyone who watched those two games could blame the coach for the two losses. That's crazy talk, and fans are frustrated. Except for goaltending UNH wasn't much better than Maine. UNH may have a little more talent on their 3rd and 4th lines.

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
        I think Maine is going to have a very difficult time EVER getting back to where they were regardless of who's the coach. Whether it was Tim or anyone else, once the aura that surrounded the program under Walsh slowly slipped away, it was going to be tough sledding. They'll have their years, but their days as a powerhouse are likely over for good in my humble opinion.
        While Maine might not return to what they were under Walsh, do you think the can be what Umile/UNH are? At least they're in the tourney every year and competing to make it to the FF. I don't see why UNH's biggest rival/bordering program with more history can't do that. There has to be someone out there who can at least get Maine back to UNH's level.

Comment

Some valid points, but keep in mind that Maine was in a "must win" situation, so they were probably playing with a bit more urgency.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            I wonder if BobF is an internet nutcase yet?

No I am just a nutcase! I tend to sit on the sidelines these days as I can't compete with the virtriol on USCHO any longer. Have been lurking and after attending the 2 games this weekend I am rendered almost speechless. I have come out of shock long enough to post. #1 if Gus (who had a great weekend) keeps on his skates and deposits the puck in the net, as he should have, this entire thread would be totally different!

#2 The idiotic posts about Maine never returning to the ranks of the top 4 are indeed idiotic. Maine has the best atmosphere, and IMHO is one of the best places in the country to play. If Tim can't sell that to top recruits then maybe the time has come.

#3 Anyone who thinks Maine does not have the talent of SW teams, just look at the '95 team! This team upfront is as talented as any team Tim has coached IMHO. We have 7 forwards that can put the puck in the net, but our team defense, and goaltending have been so inconsistent. All you have to do is read this thread to understand how confused we all are on goaltending. Before the game last night the posts stated we'll lose 7-2 if Ouellette starts, after the game people posted how could you go with Sirman when Ouellette is an NHL draft pick? (BFD so was Darling).

The last 2 goals Sirman gave up were just brutal!!!

#4 This did seem to be the year everything was centered around to get us back to respectability, and it has been a disaster to date! Call me crazy but Maine should have won 2 of the 3 games vs. UNH, so while UNH is having a great season and has found ways to win games, I'd love another shot at them! However because so much was built around this year, and Maine did not find ways to win very winnable games I am not confident about the future.

With the losses of House and Dee upfront we have big holes to fill. On D I am not as concerned, I like Dimmen and Van Dyk has been solid, but Mangene appears to be headed back to D and Rutt and hopefully a healthy Pryor who showed some promise give us 8. But replacing House and Dee with Higgins and Leen means that Beattie, Corkum, Amestoy, Anthoine, and Swavely will have to really step up.

And if Nyquist, Flynn or O'Neill leave, it is going to be back to the bottom 1/2 of the league, which is unacceptable!!! So if we miss the tournament this year, and Tim stays, and we fall below .500 next year it's time for a change!

This weekend was frustrating as a fan, and had to be even tougher for the guys, as they outworked UNH most of last night and for long stretches on Friday night. I am hopeful they finish the regular season by going 7-1, but at this point that is wishful thinking.

I'll reserve further comment until the end of the regular season. Back to Lurking! Fire away!

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
              Goal tending is the weak link with this team and sometimes team defense in front of the goaltender. Maine is a good team not an outstanding team. Played very well in those two games against UNH but not good enough to win. I don't know how anyone who watched those two games could blame the coach for the two losses. That's crazy talk, and fans are frustrated. Except for goaltending UNH wasn't much better than Maine. UNH may have a little more talent on their 3rd and 4th lines.
              It is the coach because as is the case with every profession, the top man is held accountable. The president hires good deans and athletic directors to run the academic and athletic programs as should be. The athletic director is in charge of running an athletic program that will make fans, students and alums happy. The coach is in charge of putting out a good product on and off the ice. It was Tim's responsibility to recruit at least one goaltender capable of stopping a beach ball.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                While Maine might not return to what they were under Walsh, do you think the can be what Umile/UNH are? At least they're in the tourney every year and competing to make it to the FF. I don't see why UNH's biggest rival/bordering program with more history can't do that. There has to be someone out there who can at least get Maine back to UNH's level.
                I was wondering that very same thought earlier today and am still not sure. One would think Maine could probably get back to UNH's level, but I honestly believe that UNH is a bit easier of a sell (at least to MA kids) in that it's much closer to civilization (i.e. Boston) and is a probably a slight notch above Maine academically - though Maine is still a very good school :-) Maine definitely has the hardware edge over UNH, but (I know this is a sore subject...) I also think to some extent the past rules violations still are a bit of a black cloud over the program that will always be part of the its legacy under the great Shawn Walsh. Either way, it's going to take a top notch coach to get them back to that elite level.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  The kid gets the last laugh
                  I typed that from Libby's in Durham before the game, where the kid was enjoying pregame pinball and dinner. At least HE had a good time from start to finish. That sucked. I knew he would start Sirman. I don't get that decision at this point at all.

Comment

oops

Comment

Even up until 4 or 5 years ago, top recruits were at least "mentioning" Maine when it came time to whittling down their possible choices, but now you rarely hear that.
                      Post 1990 and Pre-NCAA sanctions, Maine was up there with anyone else in competing for the top US-born and Canadian talent. Then came the suspension. When the sanctions were lifted and they had a full arsenal of scholarships, Maine was able to land some elite players like Heisten, Janik, Moore, Howard, etc., but Maine's ability to get those guys on a consistent basis definitely trailed off and they had revert back to Grant's ability to scout guys that the other tops schools didn't want. That seemed to work for a while, and then Walsh passed away and the wheels fell off the recruiting bus. I a relatively short period of time, the number of DI schools expanded and more guys were electing to go the Major Junior route. So, the Jean Yves Roy's of the world were harder and harder to find. Yes, they did reel in some guys like Purcell, but the roster became routinely stocked with disapointments (Billy Ryan), guys who couldn't play (Placz), flat out zipper heads like Acquino, Zabkowicz, Morone, Sill, Czuba and marginal one and dones like Sweetland. Maybe it's Tim's fault. Who knows. But, it's not like Grant and Guy stocked the roster with a ton of talent. Botton line is that Corkum had to do a ton of work on the recruiting trail and, at the very least, he's bringing in some kids who have a brain. The D and the goaltending stink this year and hopefully they can address that part of the roster in the same way they have addressed the forward spots.

Comment

I was wondering that very same thought earlier today and am still not sure. One would think Maine could probably get back to UNH's level, but I honestly believe that UNH is a bit easier of a sell (at least to MA kids) in that it's much closer to civilization (i.e. Boston) and is a probably a slight notch above Maine academically - though Maine is still a very good school :-) Maine definitely has the hardware edge over UNH, but (I know this is a sore subject...) I also think to some extent the past rules violations still are a bit of a black cloud over the program that will always be part of the its legacy under the great Shawn Walsh. Either way, it's going to take a top notch coach to get them back to that elite level.
                        So what exactly do hockey players at UNH and other Hockey East schools do in "civilization" (Boston) during all of that "down" time????

And yeah......I'm SURE that past rule violations that took place before most current recruits were born and by a coach that has been deceased for a decade (RIP SW) are DEFINITELY making a HUGE impact when it comes to recruiting.........are for REAL????.......lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
                          Post 1990 and Pre-NCAA sanctions, Maine was up there with anyone else in competing for the top US-born and Canadian talent. Then came the suspension. When the sanctions were lifted and they had a full arsenal of scholarships, Maine was able to land some elite players like Heisten, Janik, Moore, Howard, etc., but Maine's ability to get those guys on a consistent basis definitely trailed off and they had revert back to Grant's ability to scout guys that the other tops schools didn't want. That seemed to work for a while, and then Walsh passed away and the wheels fell off the recruiting bus. I a relatively short period of time, the number of DI schools expanded and more guys were electing to go the Major Junior route. So, the Jean Yves Roy's of the world were harder and harder to find. Yes, they did reel in some guys like Purcell, but the roster became routinely stocked with disapointments (Billy Ryan), guys who couldn't play (Placz), flat out zipper heads like Acquino, Zabkowicz, Morone, Sill, Czuba and marginal one and dones like Sweetland. Maybe it's Tim's fault. Who knows. But, it's not like Grant and Guy stocked the roster with a ton of talent. Botton line is that Corkum had to do a ton of work on the recruiting trail and, at the very least, he's bringing in some kids who have a brain. The D and the goaltending stink this year and hopefully they can address that part of the roster in the same way they have addressed the forward spots.
                          Good post. The goal tenders aren't the problem though.......developing them is. Personally, I think that Sullivan and Ouellette are going to be (err....could) be good. Sirman looks like a back-up, 3rd stringer at best IMO. And they have a really good one coming in (2012?) with Morris. The problem is the COACH.......the FACE of the program.......the guy that sets the tone for the team........the team's play mirrors HIS personality.

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
                            #2 The idiotic posts about Maine never returning to the ranks of the top 4 are indeed idiotic. Maine has the best atmosphere, and IMHO is one of the best places in the country to play. If Tim can't sell that to top recruits then maybe the time has come.
                            Bob,

Maine may have a great game time atmosphere, but lets be honest here. When you look at the overall package, including the building and facilities themselves, the schools location, academics, etc, Maine is always going to come up short vs BC & BU and more often than not vs UNH. I don't see why Maine shouldn't be able to get back to the top 4 or 5 of HE on a somewhat consistent basis and have the occasional HE title run, but I just think the days of Maine being a HE superpower are gone - probably for good.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
                              Excellent post, Bravo!!

Comment

Bob,

Maine may have a great game time atmosphere, but lets be honest here. When you look at the overall package, including the building and facilities themselves, the schools location, academics, etc, Maine is always going to come up short vs BC & BU and more often than not vs UNH. I don't see why Maine shouldn't be able to get back to the top 4 or 5 of HE on a somewhat consistent basis and have the occasional HE title run, but I just think the days of Maine being a HE superpower are gone - probably for good.
                                It's too funny that people think that you are a Maine fan........lol. It is so OBVIOUS that you aren't.

Comment

Working...
                                X