Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Originally posted by Slapshot08 View Post
    To blame this team's problems on the D is just wrong. If you have no goaltending behind you -- which they don't -- you have to play a different game. You go from playing to keep rebounds away from opponents and clearing out the net front to trying to keep ANY shots from getting though. Goalies from any other team in HE (except UML) would have saved the last 2 goals last night. Maine wins, 4-3. Goaltending is by far the biggest problem here, other than coaching. And to blame it on being freshmen, please! Didn't seem to be a problem for Muse, Millan, Madore, Rawlings, Thiessen, Canatta, Dainton, Quick, ..... Thanks for sending Grant to the USHL, Timmay!!!!
    The D and the goaltending have equally sucked. The goalies are giving up goals left and right that should be routine saves there is no question about that and they should get their fair share of the blame. The only word I can use to desribe the D is atrocious. Dimmen is the only one that is a top 4 defenseman on other teams the rest probably wouldn't be on the roster or would be getting limited ice time on most teams.

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
      Uhmmm, this sounds like pretty serious stuff, don't get yourself into any trouble, it's not worth it.... :-)
      Just what sort of "trouble" do you suppose someone could get into for vocally expressing their opinion about the poor job a coach is doing, especially when there is lots of evidence that they are right? If we were members of the UMaine hockey team or were assistant coaches for the team, then I suppose your worries might be well founded, but instead, we Maine taxpayers and ticket buyers are the ones who pay Whiteheads salary so I think we have every right to say what we think about his performance.

Comment

And to blame it on being freshmen, please! Didn't seem to be a problem for Muse, Millan, Madore, Rawlings, Thiessen, Canatta, Dainton, Quick, ..... Thanks for sending Grant to the USHL, Timmay!!!!
        They all had D in front of them.

How many goals did UNh score Friday night when the Maine D man was behind the UNH shooter? at least 3. Its happened all season. I'm not saying the goalies are blameless, the Goalies have to bail out the D at times and lord knows that hasn't happened this year. The last 2 goals Sirman let in last night were a joke and not the Ds fault at all
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by TripleE View Post
          I appreciate the viewpoint, but the 2nd half is total heresay. There are 58, working on 59 programs to choose from. Do you know these kids' preferences, personally? Maine wasn't the only school trying to land Paul Kariya; conversely, Shawn didn't exactly land every single Canadien kid he wanted either.
          Honest question, do you think Paul Kariya goes to Maine if he were choosing today? I'm going with 'no'
          Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
            Honest question, do you think Paul Kariya goes to Maine if he were choosing today? I'm going with 'no'
            Even up until 4 or 5 years ago, top recruits were at least "mentioning" Maine when it came time to whittling down their possible choices, but now you rarely hear that.

Comment

Of course not. Shawn and Grant sold the program

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
                Even up until 4 or 5 years ago, top recruits were at least "mentioning" Maine when it came time to whittling down their possible choices, but now you rarely hear that.
                Carlton, you seem like a reasonable Maine fan. Do you think it's Tim Whitehead's coaching or the loss of Standbrook, etc? To me, Whitehead is still the guy who got Maine to back to back Frozen Fours a few years ago. I doubt he simply "forgot" how to coach at that level.

Comment

Originally posted by MEbear View Post
                  Just what sort of "trouble" do you suppose someone could get into for vocally expressing their opinion about the poor job a coach is doing, especially when there is lots of evidence that they are right? If we were members of the UMaine hockey team or were assistant coaches for the team, then I suppose your worries might be well founded, but instead, we Maine taxpayers and ticket buyers are the ones who pay Whiteheads salary so I think we have every right to say what we think about his performance.
                  Well, I was kind of joking, but it seemed like this guy was getting ready to instigate an uprising or coup, more so than express an opinion :-)

Comment

Carlton, you seem like a reasonable Maine fan. Do you think it's Tim Whitehead's coaching or the loss of Standbrook, etc? To me, Whitehead is still the guy who got Maine to back to back Frozen Fours a few years ago. I doubt he simply "forgot" how to coach at that level.
                    I think Maine is going to have a very difficult time EVER getting back to where they were regardless of who's the coach. Whether it was Tim or anyone else, once the aura that surrounded the program under Walsh slowly slipped away, it was going to be tough sledding. They'll have their years, but their days as a powerhouse are likely over for good in my humble opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      They all had D in front of them.

How many goals did UNh score Friday night when the Maine D man was behind the UNH shooter? at least 3. Its happened all season. I'm not saying the goalies are blameless, the Goalies have to bail out the D at times and lord knows that hasn't happened this year. The last 2 goals Sirman let in last night were a joke and not the Ds fault at all
                      A D1 goalie -- and especially one in HE -- has to stop EVERY shot he's supposed to, and a few he's not supposed to. Not saying that the D didn't have some lapses in coverage, but the goals that these tenders are letting in are the equivalent of a Dman putting one in his own net. That isn't happening. The costliest mistakes being made on this team are in the crease.

Comment

A D1 goalie -- and especially one in HE -- has to stop EVERY shot he's supposed to, and a few he's not supposed to.
                        That's crazy. There isn't a goalie on Earth who never allows a soft goal.

Comment

A D1 goalie -- and especially one in HE -- has to stop EVERY shot he's supposed to, and a few he's not supposed to. Not saying that the D didn't have some lapses in coverage, but the goals that these tenders are letting in are the equivalent of a Dman putting one in his own net. That isn't happening. The costliest mistakes being made on this team are in the crease.
                          No arguement from me, they aren't making all the stops they should. Sully is probably closest to that description.

Comment

That's crazy. There isn't a goalie on Earth who never allows a soft goal.
                            Maine has them nearly every game and some at junctures of the game that really kill the team, see the last 2 goals last night

Comment

Maybe somebody has posted this and I didn't see it. I went through the box scores looking for scores in the last five minutes that changed the outcome of a game.

10/15 @ Mich St 14:53 gave up GWG. -1 point
                              11/6 @ BU 18:39 gave up tying goal. Tied game. -1
                              12/3 @ Prov. 15:10 gave up tying goal (shorthanded). Tied game. -1
                              12/10 vs. UNH 19:42 gave up tying goal. Lost game. -2
                              1/14 vs. Prov. 16:16 gave up tying goal. Won in OT. 0
                              1/22 @ NU 17:24 gave up tying goal. Tied. -1
                              2/5 @ UNH 19:44 gave up GWG. -1

So I fudged the five-minute rule by seven seconds for Michigan State, but the point is that Maine has not changed the course of a game for the better in the last five minutes. They have neither won nor scored a tying in the last five minutes of a game. In 7 of 26 games so far this season (27%!) they have given up a goal in 0- or 1-point games. Only once did they salvage the win. And, yes, I looked at games decided by two points in case there was an empty-netter.

A team that can't close out wins will be golfing early.
                              bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                              SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                              All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                              A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

extend that 5 minutes to 8 and you pick the GTGs from Uconn and UVM... (T -1, and OTW 0)

Comment

Working...
                                X