Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Originally posted by TripleE View Post
    Here's a new twist on a topic that sounds like its been beaten to death.

List our biggest impact players....

Nyquist (Sweden), House (BCHL), Flynn, Abbott (OJHL), Diamond (U17/USHL/OJHL), Dee (USHL), O'Neil (USHL), Dimmen (can't even remember, but not the category I'm pointing out)

Out of those 8 guys, 1 came from this Monarchs pipeline. Matt may be our 2nd best ex-Monarch, but he's a career 3rd liner with no finishing skill.
    Funny...........Flynn was a walk on.........Beattie has a ton of upside......seems like the Monarch pipeline and/or the EJHL is still more successful due to the fact the USHL is heavily recruited by other D1 programs and generally the duds are left over.........most CDN kids going the Major junior route as they believe it is a fast track to the pros due to more games played and more development possibly...........Maine needs Grant to develop and instill confidence at the goaltending position..........maybe go out and recruit a goaltender..........as he has a good track record finding guys that have moved on to play pro........

Comment

Alright. I love this program too much. Enough internet nutcase chatter. Rep or PM me with your e-mail address and USCHO handle and we can start some face to face discussions in the near future about what the fans can start doing to be more vocal. I'm game.

Comment

Originally posted by GoMaine24 View Post
        Alright. I love this program too much. Enough internet nutcase chatter. Rep or PM me with your e-mail address and USCHO handle and we can start some face to face discussions in the near future about what the fans can start doing to be more vocal. I'm game.
        Uhmmm, this sounds like pretty serious stuff, don't get yourself into any trouble, it's not worth it.... :-)

Comment

Honest question, can anyone explain to me Maine's goaltending rotation? As an outsider who doesn't know if there's been injuries/suspensions, etc....I see two freshmen and a sophomore. All have subpar numbers. Sirman has the best winning percentage and save percentage. Sullivan the most wins and best GAA.

Given how shaky they've all been, has it pretty much been picking out of a hat who to start? Is there a consensus with the fans on who gives them the best chance to win? Who's been the "best" in regard to the eyeball test? Anyone in the pipeline supposed to be better than these guys?

It might seem like there are a lot of issues with your team, but the not even average goaltending is obviously #1 on that list and a big reason Maine hasn't met expectations this year. Although, the goaltending concerns before the season couldn't have been more accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
            Atkinson is from Connecticut, so BC has one Canadian and he's been a healthy scratch lately. I'm not sure if Minnesota has ever recruited a Canadian.
            Not many. Not sure on the total, but Kris Chucko comes to mind a few years ago. They rarely even go outside Minnesota, nevermind the country. Maybe it's not such a wise move anymore.

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            I'm realistic about the amount of talent, its no where near a Walshy team, I'm only looking at the last 4 years, all the rest of the guys Tim has had are Walshy and Grants guys. The D and goaltending are the weak points with little doubt. The D especially. The goalies are Freshman so having a rough game isn't out of the ordinary especially when the D is awful.
            Seems to me that everything was geared up for this year and Whitehead failed miserably at finding even an average goaltender. I like a lot of Maine's forwards, but they can only do so much.

Originally posted by TripleE View Post
            If and WHEN Maine doesn't make the tournament, and INCH does their fun 'redraft' -- you're going to see a lot of Maine players taken. After Nyquist, I think any D1 team would LOVE to add a Flynn, Abbott, Diamond or Dee.

And you'd see plenty of those guys on many team's 2nd or even 1st (Abbott, Flynn) lines.
            Umm ya, sign me up for everyone, but Diamond. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by GoMaine24 View Post
              Exactly. Obviously those with "deep pockets" are not going to take action. Something has to be done.

A place to start the "face to face" chatter might be the "Please Fire Tim Whitehead-Save Maine Hockey" facebook group which, since yesterday, has nearly doubled in membership. (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8081078&v=wall). Interesting to note that former Maine Captain Jeff Marshall has joined.
              Last edited by MEpucknut; 02-06-2011, 01:12 PM.

Comment

You know, people always joke about Umile not being able to win the big one, but at least you know UNH is gonna be in the tourney every year. I imagine Maine would kill for that right now. And really, I don't see why Maine can't go out and find at the very least, another Umile. If the administration doesn't make a change after this season--given the expectations and who Maine will lose--you have to wonder if they ever will.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  If the administration doesn't make a change after this season--given the expectations and who Maine will lose--you have to wonder if they ever will.
                  I highly doubt any change is made after this season since they just gave him a 3 year extension before the season. With what Maine will be losing after this year they will be floundering as a 8th to 10th place team until Whitehead leaves and then whoever comes in after him will have to try and clean up a complete mess.

Comment

Originally posted by fiqure8 View Post
                    Funny...........Flynn was a walk on.........Beattie has a ton of upside......seems like the Monarch pipeline and/or the EJHL is still more successful due to the fact the USHL is heavily recruited by other D1 programs and generally the duds are left over.........most CDN kids going the Major junior route as they believe it is a fast track to the pros due to more games played and more development possibly...........Maine needs Grant to develop and instill confidence at the goaltending position..........maybe go out and recruit a goaltender..........as he has a good track record finding guys that have moved on to play pro........
                    Grant? Grant? Grant ain't been coaching goalies or recruiting anyone for a few years now. He ain't gonna be the one to right this ship.

To start, they need to can this part-time goalie coach and hire someone else on a full-time basis. And also hire someone who knows something about coaching defensemen. A forward as defense coach just doesn't cut it.
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Re: Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

STUCK with Whitehead,UNLESS New AD and President after seeing his magic for a season and getting the low-down from the Deep-Pocket Donors and a loss in Season Ticket Holders come to their sense's and figure we can't LOSE The Maine Hockey Program to once every 4 years of 2 games above .500 hockey and 3 years of re-building...this program continues at this pace for 3-4 years and they will NEVER recover....imo and check out Lake State...it's easy to blank on TW,BUT he deserves it and he is NOT going to turn this Program any time SOON....last season was awful enough knowing they could have at least made the NCAA's and got a taste of it...but this season with Expectations High...or at least with a decent chance at making some noise...well it is going quickly down the drain.....if you want to remember Maine Hockey in its glory days you'll have to watch tapes/DVD's and talk to Old Timers as this Program is going over the Cliff...........

Comment

Honest question, can anyone explain to me Maine's goaltending rotation? As an outsider who doesn't know if there's been injuries/suspensions, etc..
                        Can you think of any D1 hockey team ever, that has carried 3 (starting?) goalies on their roster and then played all 3 pretty much equally?

Ouellette was hurt early, Sullivan is hurt now, Ouellette is supposedely the 14th best North Amrican born prospect, was drafted and looks great but he isn't mentally ready if you ask me. He takes up space, is quick, moves side to side but has made the same mistakes you saw Sirman make last night. Sully plays tall, takes up space, is a little slow side to side but is older and has some poise. Either of these 2 guys would be adequate but they are both Freshman. I thought Sirman was history when these 2 guys came. He beat BC, looked good doing it, I have 0 confidence in him.
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Honest question, can anyone explain to me Maine's goaltending rotation? As an outsider who doesn't know if there's been injuries/suspensions, etc....I see two freshmen and a sophomore. All have subpar numbers. Sirman has the best winning percentage and save percentage. Sullivan the most wins and best GAA.

Given how shaky they've all been, has it pretty much been picking out of a hat who to start? Is there a consensus with the fans on who gives them the best chance to win? Who's been the "best" in regard to the eyeball test? Anyone in the pipeline supposed to be better than these guys?

It might seem like there are a lot of issues with your team, but the not even average goaltending is obviously #1 on that list and a big reason Maine hasn't met expectations this year. Although, the goaltending concerns before the season couldn't have been more accurate.
                          Sure, Sullivan emerged as the go to guy and they rode him. He wore down andhad a couple tough games. They started using the other guys. Repeat. Sullivan is now hurt, so he's been out of the mix for 3 weeks-ish maybe. Basically, with the 2 guys now, Tim's starting a guy and if he plays well enough to "be hot" to earn another start he rides him. If he flops, the coach tries the other guys. It's really not dissimilar to how Claude Julien's running the Timmy/Tuukka show right now....Timmy started back to back when he plays well, when he shows fatigue or plays poorly, it's Tuukka Time. Huge difference is Whitehead's goalies suck.

I really don't have issue with the way Whitehead's handled the goaltending rotation this season. None of these guys have earned the job and they've all had ample opportunity. Whitehead's problem in net this year was recruiting and Scott Darling being a phuck up. These guys make Darling look like Jaroslav Halak for chrisssakes.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                          43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                          104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                          3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                            Grant? Grant? Grant ain't been coaching goalies or recruiting anyone for a few years now. He ain't gonna be the one to right this ship.

To start, they need to can this part-time goalie coach and hire someone else on a full-time basis. And also hire someone who knows something about coaching defensemen. A forward as defense coach just doesn't cut it.
                            I don't see how Tim goes thru this off season without one asst coach going away. He can't hire a full time asst without canning either Kerluke or Corkum
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                              Grant? Grant? Grant ain't been coaching goalies or recruiting anyone for a few years now.
                              http://new.bangordailynews.com/2010/...rys-ushl-team/

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                                I'm realistic about the amount of talent, its no where near a Walshy team, I'm only looking at the last 4 years, all the rest of the guys Tim has had are Walshy and Grants guys. The D and goaltending are the weak points with little doubt. The D especially. The goalies are Freshman so having a rough game isn't out of the ordinary especially when the D is awful.

I didn't say or imply this team was Natl Championship caliber team, but they are underachieving and have been for 2 years
                                To blame this team's problems on the D is just wrong. If you have no goaltending behind you -- which they don't -- you have to play a different game. You go from playing to keep rebounds away from opponents and clearing out the net front to trying to keep ANY shots from getting though. Goalies from any other team in HE (except UML) would have saved the last 2 goals last night. Maine wins, 4-3. Goaltending is by far the biggest problem here, other than coaching. And to blame it on being freshmen, please! Didn't seem to be a problem for Muse, Millan, Madore, Rawlings, Thiessen, Canatta, Dainton, Quick, ..... Thanks for sending Grant to the USHL, Timmay!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X