Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Originally posted by Moose98 View Post
    why was Diamond not dressed for last night's game? I thought he was only suspended for Friday's contest? I looked but didn't see anything anywhere on the subject..
    tv broadcast said he was a late scratch with an injury...

Comment

Diamond was noticeably limping around the Whit on Friday. He took warmups last night, but didn't come back out with the team for starting lineups.
      "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Not to stick up for Timmy, but I think Maine fans have to consider the possibility that Walsh may have been the only guy that could really keep Maine going as a top program. A lot has changed in college hockey in the past 10-15 years, and a lot of those top Canadian kids that Maine had an easy time landing are now being recruited by the BC's and MN's of the world who used to never touch those kids (Kobasew and Kolanos to name a few). I realize Maine had a longer run than UMASS in hoops, but it's a similar story. Young, aggressive, energetic coach comes in, (I won't get into the rules violations), takes chances on some recruits, pushes the envelope a bit and puts together a one in a million staff and really catches lightening in a bottle. Again, not saying Maine can't be a good program, but in the long run, just don't see where you are going to be able to out recruit the likes of BC & BU, or even UNH for that matter and if you are not getting the top talent, you are always going to be chasing those other teams.

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
          Not to stick up for Timmy, but I think Maine fans have to consider the possibility that Walsh may have been the only guy that could really keep Maine going as a top program. A lot has changed in college hockey in the past 10-15 years, and a lot of those top Canadian kids that Maine had an easy time landing are now being recruited by the BC's and MN's of the world who used to never touch those kids (Kobasew and Kolanos to name a few). I realize Maine had a longer run than UMASS in hoops, but it's a similar story. Young, aggressive, energetic coach comes in, (I won't get into the rules violations), takes chances on some recruits, pushes the envelope a bit and puts together a one in a million staff and really catches lightening in a bottle. Again, not saying Maine can't be a good program, but in the long run, just don't see where you are going to be able to out recruit the likes of BC & BU, or even UNH for that matter and if you are not getting the top talent, you are always going to be chasing those other teams.

22/24 players on BCs roster are American. Kobasew played for BC a decade ago. Granted, 1 of the 2 Canadiens they have is Cam Atkinson - but transfer Atkinson to Maine and you think that fixes our problems? They have horses.

Not even going to double check the Gophers' roster as they've been roughly as relevant as Maine over the last half decade.
          Last edited by TripleE; 02-06-2011, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Win or lose, sounds like I missed a great game. I gave up my season tickets so some family members of a Maine player could attend. The whole negative rep thing is waaaaay overrated

Comment

Originally posted by TripleE View Post
              22/24 players on BCs roster are American. Kobasew played for BC a decade ago. Granted, 1 of the 2 Canadiens they have is Cam Atkinson - but transfer Atkinson to Maine and you think that fixes our problems? They have horses.

Not even going to double check the Gophers' roster as they've been roughly as relevant as Maine over the last half decade.
              Atkinson is from Connecticut, so BC has one Canadian and he's been a healthy scratch lately. I'm not sure if Minnesota has ever recruited a Canadian.
              "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Here's a new twist on a topic that sounds like its been beaten to death.

List our biggest impact players....

Nyquist (Sweden), House (BCHL), Flynn, Abbott (OJHL), Diamond (U17/USHL/OJHL), Dee (USHL), O'Neil (USHL), Dimmen (can't even remember, but not the category I'm pointing out)

Out of those 8 guys, 1 came from this Monarchs pipeline. Matt may be our 2nd best ex-Monarch, but he's a career 3rd liner with no finishing skill.

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                  Atkinson is from Connecticut, so BC has one Canadian and he's been a healthy scratch lately. I'm not sure if Minnesota has ever recruited a Canadian.
                  Oh, sorry for the error. The Hockey East website has him listed "Greenwich, BC"

Comment

Not to stick up for Timmy, but I think Maine fans have to consider the possibility that Walsh may have been the only guy that could really keep Maine going as a top program.
                    I think their is some truth in this but I don't believe Shawn is the only guy who could keep Maine at the top,at this point it appears Tim is not the guy. Team D and goaltending is killing this team, a full time Goalie coach may be the answer at this point?. Maybe Corkum or Kerluke are the guys that need to go?.We all see the same ol, same ol, night in and night out, season to season, nothing seems to change except the recruits are better which drives the fan base even more insane.
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by TripleE View Post

Bradford and Bertram were both highly recruited very important cogs in some FF teams, as was Matt Price to a lesser extent. Also, BC has two Canadian gems in the pipeline, Matheson and Straight, both who would have been a lot more likely to go to Orono 15 years ago.
                      Last edited by carltonbarrett; 02-06-2011, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        We all see the same ol, same ol, night in and night out, season to season, nothing seems to change except the recruits are better which drives the fan base even more insane.
                        I think you are giving a little too much credit to the players on the current roster. You have some talent, but other than Nyquist, the rest of the forwards would have been 2nd or probably more like 3rd line guys on past teams. The defense is even more weak and the goaltending speaks for itself. Maine used to make headlines with the recruits they landed, not so much any more.

Comment

I think you are giving a little too much credit to the players on the current roster. You have some talent, but other than Nyquist, the rest of the forwards would have been 2nd or probably more like 3rd line guys on past teams. The defense is even more weak and the goaltending speaks for itself. Maine used to make headlines with the recruits they landed, not so much any more.
                          I'm realistic about the amount of talent, its no where near a Walshy team, I'm only looking at the last 4 years, all the rest of the guys Tim has had are Walshy and Grants guys. The D and goaltending are the weak points with little doubt. The D especially. The goalies are Freshman so having a rough game isn't out of the ordinary especially when the D is awful.

I didn't say or imply this team was Natl Championship caliber team, but they are underachieving and have been for 2 years
                          Last edited by walrus; 02-06-2011, 11:55 AM.
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Bradford and Bertram were both very important cogs in some FF teams, as was Matt Price to a lesser extent. Also, BC has two Canadian gems in the pipeline, Matheson and Straight, both who would have been a lot more likely to go to Orono 15 years ago.
                            I appreciate the viewpoint, but the 2nd half is total heresay. There are 58, working on 59 programs to choose from. Do you know these kids' preferences, personally? Maine wasn't the only school trying to land Paul Kariya; conversely, Shawn didn't exactly land every single Canadien kid he wanted either.

Comment

If and WHEN Maine doesn't make the tournament, and INCH does their fun 'redraft' -- you're going to see a lot of Maine players taken. After Nyquist, I think any D1 team would LOVE to add a Flynn, Abbott, Diamond or Dee.

And you'd see plenty of those guys on many team's 2nd or even 1st (Abbott, Flynn) lines.

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                                I'm quite certain MN has brought in some Canadians recently, not to mention other foreigners such as Vanek, who again Maine may have had a better chance of landing back in the mid 90's when MN wasn't going that route. BC and MN were just two examples, as lots of other D-1 programs are now looking North of the border. I've heard some D-1 coaches (including York) talk about the expanding of their traditional recruiting territory to out west and up into canada, so I'm pretty sure it's a legit point that has effected Maine.

Comment

Working...
                                X