Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
    The NY Rangers.
    touche

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
      if Gus plays his senior season, then all Detroit (Grand Rapids) will get for 2011-2012, is a few games plus playoffs and all Gus will get is a small fraction of an annual salary(games played)... and Gus will have to take whatever Detroit is offering... IF he signs with Detroit after his senior season.
      If he waits till August after his senior season, then he is a free agent and he can take the highest offer... and he would only lose out on the pay that he would have gotten had he played a few games in 2011-2012.

Detroit knows that if they do not get him before the end of his senior season (paying more than the rookie minumum), then he will probably wait till August and go to the high bidder.
      right now, only Detroit can offer him a salary and they get to choose what that is.

if his agent is pretty sure that Detroit will lowball and Edmonton will offer Penner-type numbers, gustav will play his senior season and sign with Edmonton for $4.5M a year for a few years. (in this case, it would have been wise for Nyquist to stay in school, miss a year of "low" pay and take the giant pay day one year later). SO, Detroit has to woo him with enough money so that he does not consider missing a year of salary and taking the potential big payday.
      Under the CBA now he can only receive an entry level max contract of $875,000 from any team. So it would only be about who he wants to play for the money would be the same. He's a perfect fit for Detroit's puck possession style game and I'm guessing he would be happy to play in that organization.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeypuck View Post
        Under the CBA now he can only receive an entry level max contract of $875,000 from any team. So it would only be about who he wants to play for the money would be the same. He's a perfect fit for Detroit's puck possession style game and I'm guessing he would be happy to play in that organization.
        Very well put Puck! CBA has put maximums in which take protect clubs from dishing out crazy contracts for players coming in, no way Gus signs some free agent million dollar contract without lacing them up in the NHL. Though I am not sure of the 875 as it varies each year and can't tell if it is based on the year drafted or the year you sign? Gus has been "THE BEST" forward recruit since Kariya and I do not expect him to be in Orono next year.
        Last edited by BobF; 02-24-2011, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TripleE View Post
          Hmm, yea, but didn't Wheeler leave after his Jr. year with the Gophers? With Detroit's consistency and their knack for having success with Swedish born players, why would he want to play anywhere else?
          Did he redshirt? It is when your academic class graduates, which is different than your year of eligibility.

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
            Very well put Puck! CBA has put maximums in which take protect clubs from dishing out crazy contracts for players coming in, no way Gus signs some free agent million dollar contract without lacing them up in the NHL. Though I am not sure of the 875 as it varies each year and can't tell if it is based on the year drafted or the year you sign? Gus has been "THE BEST" forward recruit since Kariya and I do not expect him to be in Orono next year.
            For his draft year 2008 it is $875k it goes up to $900k for 2009 picks.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
              Did he redshirt? It is when your academic class graduates, which is different than your year of eligibility.
              If I remember correctly he was drafted after his junior year in high school which opened up a loophole after his 3rd year of college. He was then able to tell Phoenix that he had withdrawn from college so he is then ineligible to play college and Phoenix had 30 days to sign him or he became a free agent.
              Last edited by Hockeypuck; 02-24-2011, 09:33 PM.

Comment

The excuse that never quits.

“They’ve been awesome. They have fought through a lot in their four years. It was tough timing for them to join our team because we had just lost a large senior class and (Hockey East Rookie of the Year) Teddy Purcell also left,” said Whitehead, who lost seven of his top 10 scorers off the 2006-2007 Frozen Four team.

http://new.bangordailynews.com/2011/...nst-merrimack/

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeypuck View Post
                  said Whitehead, who lost seven of his top 10 scorers off the 2006-2007 Frozen Four team.
                  And this year, he retained 8 of his top 9 scorers including the national scoring champion.

How are we doing??

Comment

It's OK.

If the King's don't win the cup this year, we'll know why...

The country wouldn't be in insurmountable debt if Teddy Purcell hadn't taken out the loans.

Order would have been restored in Egypt but Teddy told Mubarak to hold out.

WMDs would have been discovered had Teddy Purcell not gone AWOL.

Comment

The NHL CBA is all about protecting whichever team drafts a given player,which is an OK stand-alone concept,but no thought whatsoever was given to the college feeder-system,as far as I can divine..The situation is a de-facto effort to dissuade kids from graduating.

This approach works fairly well in hoops and football,I suppose.Those two cash-cows at both levels are making out fine,no matter who leaves or who stays.

But,in a fairly humble money-maker such as college hockey,why be so mercenary?NCAA hockey is still small potatoes,but it could be grown a bit with a little less early defection of the top talent.(Ask Minnesota.)

Maybe then,the sport would make enough money for the NHL to respect it,at least after Bettman is gone..?(And may it be soon!)

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                        The NHL CBA is all about protecting whichever team drafts a given player,which is an OK stand-alone concept,but no thought whatsoever was given to the college feeder-system,as far as I can divine..The situation is a de-facto effort to dissuade kids from graduating.
                        Maybe if the NHL extended the period that a drafting team gets to sign a prospect before he becomes a free agent if a player goes the college route? I don't know that many college players are looking to become free agents, so it's not as if having to wait a bit longer would persuade them not to enroll. You could also have the waiting period "reset" when the prospect signs a rookie contract; just use the extra time as a pressure valve, so that teams are more patient with draftees while in college because the clock is not ticking.

The thing that bugs me, really, is that a team that doesn't routinely get blue chip prospects, but finds a diamond in the rough-- who is likely undrafted-- gets no protection whatsoever; any team can pursue that undrafted player and sign him. So the team that found and/or developed such a player gets any number of teams making him offers, while a blue chip draft choice only has one.

Comment

If we can get a couple of wins, we’d be right back in the national picture,” said center Robby Dee (120, 29-38-67).
                          Well, TIMMAY can do one thing well, and that's brainwash these guys. A couple of wins over The Mack will do nothing for this team in the national picture. The only shot they have is by winning the HE tournament.

That's the big problem I've had with his teams. No matter how bad the situation is, no matter how deep a hole they've dug for themselves, they all talk about and seem to believe that everything's ok, they'll get things righted 'this weekend' or the 'next few games'.

Well sorry, but it doesn't work that way. Should have taken care of business when it would have meant something. Too little too late at this point.
                          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

I can't believe Purcells name came up again, unreal. I guess a couple of wins moves Maine up in the polls but it won't magically get them to 12th in PWR.
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              Sorry

They are University Police and they carry guns. IF Murphy was around he'd show you to read
                              They are also deputized in surrounding towns so they can back up Orono and Old Town PD and persue people off campus. I still remember an off campus party that got out of controll in my apartment complex (about 300 kids in the parking lot, 5 different apartments with kegs and lines out the door waiting for beer). First one cop showed up and just sat in his car, then another came, and another until there were 10-12 cars. Then they all got out and dispursed the crowd. I think there was one arrest when some idiot threw a bottle. Anyway, it included UM police, state troopers, Pennobscott Nation PD, Old Town PD, Orono PD, maybe a county sherriff, and even a State game warden

Comment

Any more news on the big protest tonight, I hate to miss it because of a snow storm
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X