Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Originally posted by TripleE View Post
    While I support such actions, how, of all places, has this rumor not shown up on this forum? That's why I find it hard to believe any kind of serious movement is in the works.
    Facebook is quiet and holding steady at 163. Guess they're not going to make the 200 by the end of the week.

Comment

Could someone explain to me the scenerio of why the CBA makes it unlikely that Gus will be back? Something about Detroit losing exclusive rights to him if he doesn't sign?

Thanks!

Comment

Essentially Detroit holds Gus' rights until August of the year his class graduates. So Detroit has incentive to sign him now because once he gets through 2011-12 as a college player, he's basically a few months away from being able to sign anywhere he wants a la Blake Wheeler.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Could someone explain to me the scenerio of why the CBA makes it unlikely that Gus will be back? Something about Detroit losing exclusive rights to him if he doesn't sign?

Thanks!
          if Gus plays his senior season, then all Detroit (Grand Rapids) will get for 2011-2012, is a few games plus playoffs and all Gus will get is a small fraction of an annual salary(games played)... and Gus will have to take whatever Detroit is offering... IF he signs with Detroit after his senior season.
          If he waits till August after his senior season, then he is a free agent and he can take the highest offer... and he would only lose out on the pay that he would have gotten had he played a few games in 2011-2012.

Detroit knows that if they do not get him before the end of his senior season (paying more than the rookie minumum), then he will probably wait till August and go to the high bidder.
          right now, only Detroit can offer him a salary and they get to choose what that is.

if his agent is pretty sure that Detroit will lowball and Edmonton will offer Penner-type numbers, gustav will play his senior season and sign with Edmonton for $4.5M a year for a few years. (in this case, it would have been wise for Nyquist to stay in school, miss a year of "low" pay and take the giant pay day one year later). SO, Detroit has to woo him with enough money so that he does not consider missing a year of salary and taking the potential big payday.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
            Essentially Detroit holds Gus' rights until August of the year his class graduates. So Detroit has incentive to sign him now because once he gets through 2011-12 as a college player, he's basically a few months away from being able to sign anywhere he wants a la Blake Wheeler.
            Hmm, yea, but didn't Wheeler leave after his Jr. year with the Gophers? With Detroit's consistency and their knack for having success with Swedish born players, why would he want to play anywhere else?

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
              Wheeler was a free agent after his junior season... why was that?

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                if Gus plays his senior season, then all Detroit (Grand Rapids) will get for 2011-2012, is a few games plus playoffs and all Gus will get is a small fraction of an annual salary(games played)... and Gus will have to take whatever Detroit is offering... IF he signs with Detroit after his senior season.
                If he waits till August after his senior season, then he is a free agent and he can take the highest offer... and he would only lose out on the pay that he would have gotten had he played a few games in 2011-2012.

Detroit knows that if they do not get him before the end of his senior season (paying more than the rookie minumum), then he will probably wait till August and go to the high bidder.
                right now, only Detroit can offer him a salary and they get to choose what that is.

if his agent is pretty sure that Detroit will lowball and Edmonton will offer Penner-type numbers, gustav will play his senior season and sign with Edmonton for $4.5M a year for a few years. (in this case, it would have been wise for Nyquist to stay in school, miss a year of "low" pay and take the giant pay day one year later). SO, Detroit has to woo him with enough money so that he does not consider missing a year of salary and taking the potential big payday.

OK, I'm getting a better grasp for the situation now. But who is going to dish out big bucks for anyone who hasn't played an NHL game and will probably spend, at bare minimum, an entire season in the AHL? I can't imagine there is THAT much parity in what the offer range could be, is there?

Comment

Hmm, yea, but didn't Wheeler leave after his Jr. year with the Gophers? With Detroit's consistency and their knack for having success with Swedish born players, why would he want to play anywhere else?
                  well, if you were offered $750,000 a year for 2 years and thought you could get $4.5M for 5 years what would you do?
                  go get developed with other Swedes or take the money?

Comment

OK, I'm getting a better grasp for the situation now. But who is going to dish out big bucks for anyone who hasn't played an NHL game and will probably spend, at bare minimum, an entire season in the AHL? I can't imagine there is THAT much parity in what the offer range could be, is there?
                    well that is why I used Dustin Penner as the example... the Ducks GM thought that what Edmonton was offering was going to ruin the league...

Comment

well, if you were offered $750,000 a year for 2 years and thought you could get $4.5M for 5 years what would you do?
                      go get developed with other Swedes or take the money?
                      Well, that 5 year deal is worth 900,000/year as opposed to that 750. I would ask myself where I hope to be in 3 years.

What if I'm a 20+ goal scorer in the NHL in 3 or 4 years? Those types often get paid at least 2 or 3M per year. If I'm looked at as a 'riser' (like Penner was) than maybe more so. That 900K is insignificant compared to what I could really cash in on...

Gus doesn't seem like the type who would just want to get complacent to a certain level of play based on an early, multi-year deal.

Comment

well that is why I used Dustin Penner as the example... the Ducks GM thought that what Edmonton was offering was going to ruin the league...
                        Well, I would tend to agree, but at least Dustin had scored a point in the NHL before that deal was signed!

Comment

Kane, Ovetchkin and Crosby...

Comment

But who is going to dish out big bucks for anyone who hasn't played an NHL game
                            The NY Rangers.
                            Originally posted by reBlur
                            the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

And yea -- I absolutely, positively HATE ridiculous, bloated rookie contracts. The NFL really needs to control that. Pay the guys who have proven they can play.

Just in guarranteed money, JaMarcus Russell's money to touchdown ratio is almost $1 Million. Alex Smith anyone?... so on....

Comment

Kane, Ovetchkin and Crosby...
                                Yea, but does anyone put Gus in that category?

Comment

Working...
                                X