Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Originally posted by BobF View Post
    Did you even read what I was responding too? I was not making excuses for the team, I was explaining a definition! Guess I need to add someone else to my growing list of people to ignore.

Did you read my post? I was stating the mental attitude of the team. You were putting all the blame on the players for mental mistakes. This team isn't mentally prepared and thats not the players fault. Whitehead is at fault.

Comment

Originally posted by BearPaw View Post
      Did you read my post? I was stating the mental attitude of the team. You were putting all the blame on the players for mental mistakes. This team isn't mentally prepared and thats not the players fault. Whitehead is at fault.
      Paw there is a difference between mentally prepared and mental mistakes. You have a case with mentally prepared. But mental mistakes, that is on the players. So we have some common ground.

Comment

Paw there is a difference between mentally prepared and mental mistakes. You have a case with mentally prepared. But mental mistakes, that is on the players. So we have some common ground.
        Bob, Who's fault is it that the players brought in make mental mistakes? Say I own a company and hire you as a human resources director, you fail to bring the right employees in. Guess who gets fired?

Comment

If they're mentally prepared, why would they make mental mistakes? Mistakes happen, I've all 3 goalies get beat hugging the post, some multiple times and I haven't seen half the games. They aren't put in the position to succeed simple as that. Do you think any of the teams the last 4 years have overachieved. What about with Shawns recruits and Grant still around?
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Potato in NH View Post
            I would love to see Maine sweep Merrimack this weekend (obviously). But if they do, I think I will still be completely frusterated by the state of the program. If they were to win both games, I would ask myself, how did that happen based on a 7-1 loss at Merrimack a few months earlier? My biased answer would be coaching. The night of the 7-1 loss was the night of Mangene on D with Cornell at F. It was brutal to watch and was a choice solely of the coach.

I was talking to a friend on Saturday night about the last time a graduating class at Maine did not get at least one trip to the NCAA tournament. We figured that if this class did not make it, it would be the first time since the 1980s. I am not sure if last year's seniors played in the tournament as Freshman or not. Perhaps last year's senior class was the first and this one will be the second. That should be reason enough to fire Timmay. Think about it, every class for almost 20 years plays in at least 1 tournament in their 4 years at Maine, some play in several frozen fours and now we have no players with any NCAA experience. That is pretty sad.
            I believe House spoke about his class being the first if they did not make it this year and he didn't want that to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
              Off Topic:
              If the Bears can bring it this weekend like they did against BC in Jan., accomplished with hard work and team D for 60 minutes, me thinks yuse guys have a shot at a sweep.

Sorry to bum y'all out.
              I actually agree that its possible. But IF it happens, I'll be so pizzed off. Basically, where the phuck was that effort when it would have counted? If they can beat Merrimack why the fiddlesticks couldn't they close out two against UNH, because if they had, these games would actually matter. As it is, it doesn't look like even a sweep gets Maine into the NCAAs.

Based on the way Maine blew those UNH losses, I am wondering how the team is going to find a way to gut punch us. Maybe they'll feed a drop pass into their own open net with the goalie pulled for a delayed penalty?

I can almost garuntee they're going to find a way to make us believe and then pull the rug out.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
              43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
              104-47-14 (.669) in that time
              3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

solution: don't believe.

I'll start thinking Maine hockey is relevant again once NCAA brackets are formally announced, and Maine is in them. And not a minute before.
                1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                  Bob, Who's fault is it that the players brought in make mental mistakes? Say I own a company and hire you as a human resources director, you fail to bring the right employees in. Guess who gets fired?
                  Everybody.

You START with the HR director. Then you replace everybody else, too. That's why I see trying to blame the coach and exempt the players as self-contradictory and counter-productive.

Comment

Originally posted by dmjossel View Post
                    Everybody.

You START with the HR director. Then you replace everybody else, too. That's why I see trying to blame the coach and exempt the players as self-contradictory and counter-productive.
                    That was my point. It is the president's fault for hiring an incompetent AD who could not see that the coach was heading down the wrong path. It was the coach's fault for recruiting players inept at playing at this level. Besides 6 forwards and 3 defensemen, this Maine team lacks talent.

Comment

• Originally posted by BearPaw View Post
                      I believe House spoke about his class being the first if they did not make it this year and he didn't want that to happen.
                      Would be the first class since the graduating class of 1986.

When was the last time Whitehead got up at a podium and said something along the lines of: we lost tonight, and I take responsibility for it. We didn't prepare properly and we didn't make advantageous adjustment. Better Q: when was the first time?

It's unreal. Every great coach of any sport admits fault and takes accountability somewhere along the line. Going by Tim's self reported record, has he ever made a mistake?

Comment

Originally posted by TripleE View Post
                        Would be the first class since the graduating class of 1986.

When was the last time Whitehead got up at a podium and said something along the lines of: we lost tonight, and I take responsibility for it. We didn't prepare properly and we didn't make advantageous adjustment. Better Q: when was the first time?

It's unreal. Every great coach of any sport admits fault and takes accountability somewhere along the line. Going by Tim's self reported record, has he ever made a mistake?
                        TW makes EXCUSE's all the time after the fact...thats his M.O. -- He has the DON"T WORRY be HAPPY Attitude....

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                          That was my point. It is the president's fault for hiring an incompetent AD who could not see that the coach was heading down the wrong path. It was the coach's fault for recruiting players inept at playing at this level. Besides 6 forwards and 3 defensemen, this Maine team lacks talent.
                          And that would put Maine ahead of the pack,if they took care of business in their own end.

A decent goalie on board,and Maine might well be 20-6,and looking at a #2 seed in The Show.

(That is all on the coaching,too.)

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                            And that would put Maine ahead of the pack,if they took care of business in their own end.

A decent goalie on board,and Maine might well be 20-6,and looking at a #2 seed in The Show.

(That is all on the coaching,too.)
                            Wait, so let me get this straight...

What you're saying that all Maine needs is "coaching", which apparently consists of:

1) A new Athletic Director
                            2) A new hockey head coach
                            3) New hockey assistant coaches (presumably, most head coaches like to assemble their own staff)
                            4) Six new forwards
                            5) Three new defensemen
                            6) A decent goalie

... then the true 20-win Maine team would be revealed?

Why, it boggles the mind why this wasn't all just accomplished yesterday. I never knew "coaching" was so simple!

I think Maine probably has more justifiable complaints about their head coach than does, say, Boston University. However, there is a huge gap between saying that Whitehead is responsible for everything that has gone wrong, and for that he should go, and saying that if he just goes, everything else will improve.

Everybody keeps talking about talent-- this team has some talent, not enough talent, as much talent as some of the tournament teams, or more talent than their record would indicate. Isn't it just possible that this year's Maine team isn't great-- regardless of whose fault it is that they aren't?

Comment

Originally posted by dmjossel View Post
                              Isn't it just possible that this year's Maine team isn't great-- regardless of whose fault it is that they aren't?
                              Its quite possible and only a few posters are thinking the forwards are great, I think they're a far better group then the last 3 years. I can't imagine anyone thinking they were going to compete for a Nat'l Championship, I was hoping for a NCAA bid, probably lose in 1st game but get experience and a taste for the limelight. Neither happens now without a miracle.
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by dmjossel View Post
                                Wait, so let me get this straight...

What you're saying that all Maine needs is "coaching", which apparently consists of:

1) A new Athletic Director
                                2) A new hockey head coach
                                3) New hockey assistant coaches (presumably, most head coaches like to assemble their own staff)
                                4) Six new forwards
                                5) Three new defensemen
                                6) A decent goalie

... then the true 20-win Maine team would be revealed?

Why, it boggles the mind why this wasn't all just accomplished yesterday. I never knew "coaching" was so simple!

I think Maine probably has more justifiable complaints about their head coach than does, say, Boston University. However, there is a huge gap between saying that Whitehead is responsible for everything that has gone wrong, and for that he should go, and saying that if he just goes, everything else will improve.

Everybody keeps talking about talent-- this team has some talent, not enough talent, as much talent as some of the tournament teams, or more talent than their record would indicate. Isn't it just possible that this year's Maine team isn't great-- regardless of whose fault it is that they aren't?
                                You've entirely missed the point of what a coaching change would do. There would be no need for the other 5 changes. The AD would be irrelevant because the team would be better (and he could focus on fixing football and womens basketball). Corkum would be a different - and better - coach.....would no longer be neutered. The goalies would have confidence AND develop. A new coach would get more out of the players we have....they are definitely more capable than they are showing, even - especially - beyond the top 6 forwards and 3 defenseman

Comment

Working...
                                X