Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Originally posted by Slapshot08 View Post
    Much easier to screen a high school goalie than it will be to screen Cannata with the D he has in front of him

Careful on this one. Assuming Brice plays out like the rest of Maine's D over the last few years (10 games into your career, Timmay sucks the life out of you and you lose your passion, grit, knowledge of the game, energy, and confidence), we may want to hold back on playing Brice until the playoffs when we need all that....and Timmay's tutelage hasn't taken hold yet.
    right... on both counts..
    as for screening... at least they were there and trying to screen... against BU, all the forwards are in the corners or on the halfboards, fighting for possession... with nothing to do with the puck if they get possession.

and the second comment makes me sad... honestly. I think you really touched on something.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      Defense goaltending, defense goaltending, I've been harping on it since the season began. Is it a question of talent, I don't think so or is it a question of being put in the position to succeed which is where all roads lead to. I don't see how you play D without touching anyone and the mistakes made by the goalies have been mental in many cases and thats coaching.
      Mental mistakes are inherently self-induced. If they did not know better that would be coaching. If they know where they are supposed to be, or what they are supposed to do, and don't do it, that's a mental mistake! So I think your post needs some rework.

And let's face it Ouellette was taken a year early as we were desperate for a netminder after Scotty left us high and dry (sorry bad pun!). And Sirman admittedly was out of shape, so we could not count on him. So Sirman was brought in late because of Wilson, and both Sullivan and Ouellette were recruited very late. Ouellette was then asked to expedite his matriculation to college and headed to Maine a year ahead of his original plans. Sirman was in much better shape this year and has played some great games, but he has also cost us some W's the last one being in Durham.

At the start of the year Sullivan seemed to be the goalie with the maturity and consistency. What I am hoping is that after this past weekend he has the confidence and his health to deliver for Maine down the stretch. Ouellette still has the biggest upside. And yes team defense has been abysmal at various points this year and we'll go nowhere without it vs. Merrimac and in the Hockey East quarters.

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
        Mental mistakes are inherently self-induced. If they did not know better that would be coaching. If they know where they are supposed to be, or what they are supposed to do, and don't do it, that's a mental mistake! So I think your post needs some rework. .
        They make the same mistakes, to me thats coaching, they aren't getting the point or they aren't capable of getting the point or they aren't working at the point.
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Self-confidence is a huge component in being successful as a goal tender. A coach can work at instilling it into a player, but ultimately it has to come from within the player. By playing games and the natural maturation process of the player, will eventually lead to success. The lack of self-confidence, in my opinion, has been a big factor in some of Maine's losses.

Comment

The other thing I didn't mention about those dfensemen, is that, with the exception of MacIsaac, they all had size and were taught how to use it. Shawn always said he looked for skill on offense, and size on defense, cause you could always teach defense. But it seems the teaching part is either now not being done, or just not done very well.
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
              The other thing I didn't mention about those dfensemen, is that, with the exception of MacIsaac, they all had size and were taught how to use it. Shawn always said he looked for skill on offense, and size on defense, cause you could always teach defense. But it seems the teaching part is either now not being done, or just not done very well.
              So you don't just bury someone like Mushaluk?

Comment

Originally posted by MEpucknut View Post
                Good win tonight! First 3 game win streak since beating UND 2x and UVM in October! WE ARE BACK BABY!!! With this sweep we are now primed for our typical desperation "late season surge", only to fall short in the Hockey East Tournament and having to listen to TIMMAY tout how close we were, "what a learning experience this was" and how "it will make us better next year" ......rinse and repeat
                This really brings me back to a year ago. I honestly thought this team would contend for a national championship.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
                  So, for outrageous talking purposes, say the stars align and Maine wins a HE tourney title. What then? A four seed heading out west. Good luck with that !!
                  If they get in, they're making it to the Frozen Four, then they will get demolished.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                    So you don't just bury someone like Mushaluk?
                    There's always an exception. But even Mush had his moments.
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Mental mistakes are inherently self-induced. If they did not know better that would be coaching. If they know where they are supposed to be, or what they are supposed to do, and don't do it, that's a mental mistake! So I think your post needs some rework.
                      Totally disagree. There is no excuse why this team is sitting where they are. Everyone expected so much more from this team. They had the talent and they had the experience to have a great season.

So why? Whitehead has plenty of excuses. We've heard them all right down to the bad bounces and he even has the players repeating his useless drivel. This team isn't mentally tough and that comes down to your coach. Mental toughness and confidence goes hand in hand. The captain of this team even said that wins on the road in hockey east are hard to come by. I would guess that remark is the sentiment of the coach.

The best coaches get more out of their players. They know how to motivate and instill confidence. Whitehead doesn't have a clue.

Comment

Originally posted by BearPaw View Post
                        Totally disagree. There is no excuse why this team is sitting where they are. Everyone expected so much more from this team. They had the talent and they had the experience to have a great season.

So why? Whitehead has plenty of excuses. We've heard them all right down to the bad bounces and he even has the players repeating his useless drivel. This team isn't mentally tough and that comes down to your coach. Mental toughness and confidence goes hand in hand. The captain of this team even said that wins on the road in hockey east are hard to come by. I would guess that remark is the sentiment of the coach.

The best coaches get more out of their players. They know how to motivate and instill confidence. Whitehead doesn't have a clue.
                        Did you even read what I was responding too? I was not making excuses for the team, I was explaining a definition! Guess I need to add someone else to my growing list of people to ignore.

Comment

Off Topic:
                          If the Bears can bring it this weekend like they did against BC in Jan., accomplished with hard work and team D for 60 minutes, me thinks yuse guys have a shot at a sweep.

Sorry to bum y'all out.
                          'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

I would love to see Maine sweep Merrimack this weekend (obviously). But if they do, I think I will still be completely frusterated by the state of the program. If they were to win both games, I would ask myself, how did that happen based on a 7-1 loss at Merrimack a few months earlier? My biased answer would be coaching. The night of the 7-1 loss was the night of Mangene on D with Cornell at F. It was brutal to watch and was a choice solely of the coach.

I was talking to a friend on Saturday night about the last time a graduating class at Maine did not get at least one trip to the NCAA tournament. We figured that if this class did not make it, it would be the first time since the 1980s. I am not sure if last year's seniors played in the tournament as Freshman or not. Perhaps last year's senior class was the first and this one will be the second. That should be reason enough to fire Timmay. Think about it, every class for almost 20 years plays in at least 1 tournament in their 4 years at Maine, some play in several frozen fours and now we have no players with any NCAA experience. That is pretty sad.

Comment

Did you even read what I was responding too? I was not making excuses for the team, I was explaining a definition! Guess I need to add someone else to my growing list of people to ignore.
                              So BobF you are always on target and the rest of the Posters take a back seat when you speak...ya right. Ignore and who cares..?

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                                Or the talent on D and Goaltending is there and they aren't being used right, given the right gameplans or he sucks the life out of them. The last 4 years have produced the softest teams I've ever seen, stick checks have taken over for taking the body. Heaven forbid any D man actually touch someone with their body. I doubt you'll find anyone who thinks the Goalies have been handled right. This team needs a real goalie coach bad
                                YOUR POST hits harder and more times then most of the Maine players in the last 4 years...

Comment

Working...
                                X