Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    My understanding is jokes were made about him at the end of season Banquet so I don't blame him for signing up. I wasn't there but I'm sure someone will chime in who was
    I was at the banquet and Tim did joke about Jeff and others, you can bet it was not in anyway meant to be derogatory. Jokes and ribbing are part of the makeup of any team. Players and coaches ribbing one another is a huge part of the team chemistry. Walshie started the “Kangaroo Court” and it’s still in existence today. One player joked about a coach’s wife and new baby that all laugh about. All of the remarks are made in jest and taken that way by most of the attendees, coaches and players. If you have thin skin it won’t take your teammates and coaches long to single you out.

Comment

Originally posted by Pucknut View Post
      I was at the banquet and Tim did joke about Jeff and others, you can bet it was not in anyway meant to be derogatory. Jokes and ribbing are part of the makeup of any team. Players and coaches ribbing one another is a huge part of the team chemistry. Walshie started the “Kangaroo Court” and it’s still in existence today. One player joked about a coach’s wife and new baby that all laugh about. All of the remarks are made in jest and taken that way by most of the attendees, coaches and players. If you have thin skin it won’t take your teammates and coaches long to single you out.
      I think everyone understands that that is the way it is. I'm trying to put myself in Jeff's shoes here though. Imagine being the captain of your team and having to sit as a healthy scratch for several games to end your senior season and your career.. I cant imagine what he must have done or not done to have that happen to him. Was he just entrenched in Whiteheads dog house so deep he could not get out or what? Its just inconceivable to me how someone, whom all the players and coaches felt strongly enough about to pin the C on, could get demoted so low that he has to finish his career with such embarassment. The whole thing just smacks fishy to me.

Again, I think Whiteheads a chitty manager of people, teams and situations. Simple. Its what we do every day...manage. Some much better than others.
      Last edited by acs64; 02-15-2011, 03:20 PM.
      I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Any of you guys making the trip down to Lowell this weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
          Im with Bob. Marshall's one captain out of how many? And really the way his career ended, he's not an objective source. Respect to the kid but i take his position with a grain of salt
          While Jeff should shoulder some of the blame for ending his career the way he did (in the stands during the HE playoffs), I think Whitehead needs to shoulder most of the blame. How can he appoint a guy Captain that he doesn't have enough faith in to dress for the playoffs. Jeff didn't appoint himself captain...Whitehead did. While guys like Chris Hahn (4.0 GPA and a hustler) play without a letter on their sweater. You mean, in 3 years, Whitehead couldn't figure out that Hahn would have been a better captain than Marshall??? IMO, a captain that is sitting in the stands for more than a game or 2 should have never been made captain. Whitehead: FAIL.

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
            I have no idea with what is going on behind the scenes! .
            I got a good idea that you do know, and I cannot believe that you are willfully that blind.

I mean... learning about what is going on behind the scenes can start with seeing a former captain on that Facebook page.
            and again, how many times can you deny that something very bad was up when about 20 alumni were in maine 2 summers ago during alumni weekend, and only a very few were willing to participate in Tim's alumni game/weekend?
            The boycott of alumni weekend was organized, not accidental.... does that still not tell you about what is going on behind the scenes?

that said... I don't think that I have ever seen a coach bench 2 captains at the ends of their senior years.... Whitehead had 2... mush and marshall
            Mush was not fast enough and that team was going places.
            Marshall was an integral cog and playing him in the last game of the regular season would not have hurt the team.

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
              I mean... learning about what is going on behind the scenes can start with seeing a former captain on that Facebook page.
              Exactly. I commend Mr. Marshall for standing up and putting his neck on the line in such a public forum. To me, that means he cares about the direction of the program. Kudos Jeff!

Comment

I don't blame Jeff in the least for joining the group; that's his right. When you're a captain at Maine, though, is there a standard to bear? To save face? I haven't heard any of the alleged NHL buyout guys comment in the national media about Tim or bash Tim? Is that because Larry et all don't ask them or because they're following a code that Jeff has broken? Even when Solloway tried to get them to bash Tim at the SW golf tourney a few years back it was tepid at best. I don't know, I just think there's too much emotion with Jeff and Tim, it's too raw to take seriously. As a neutral observer it would be more telling to me if someone neutral joined....someone who wasn't a Tim favorite or a dog house guy. Like Steve Mullin.

EDIT: I'm not saying Jeff broke some code; I'm just asking if there is one. Because I don't know, but its not often you see captains and coaches at odds in public.
                Last edited by BoSox3066; 02-15-2011, 04:17 PM.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post

EDIT: I'm not saying Jeff broke some code; I'm just asking if there is one. Because I don't know, but its not often you see captains and coaches at odds in public.
                  Bingo. This guy (captain) is more or less the spokesman for your team. Sit him down at the end of his career? Huh? I had forgotten about Mushaluck. Here's someone with all the size to play at this level. With some on ice training you cant tell me his flaws couldnt be corrected ? What is this? And a captain as well...geezus.
                  I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Bear he is absolutely more qualified to state his opinion. Maybe I just look at it as a matter of character on his part. I pride myself on being fair, and try not to ever critique players publicly when they are at Maine, and even after they leave. But since Jeff went public on a social site I have no problem stating my opinion on his abilities. I supported him 100% when he played for Maine, now that he has stepped out to vocalize his opinions I harbor no guilt by speaking my mind.

I too have been with the program since the beginning. Conn, Crespi, Nord, Aubut, the Tortorella brothers, saw them all play while I was a student. I used to post regularly on this site, but tend to take a back seat these days. As I said I will leave the decisions to the powers that be, they know far more than I ever will. I was really hoping this season would be the one to get us back on the national stage, and am concerned about the future. With everyone berating the coach all the time it's nice for me to be berated for expressing my opinion about 1 former player. I have no problem with that!
                    To BOB F: A little off the topic but what is YOUR ASSESSMENT of the Maine Hockey program the last 5 years....and with that what do you think the next 3 years under a extended Whitehead will bring to the Maine Hockey Program..? I have no problem with any of your Posts as everyone has there thoughts and any and all comments on the Program/Coach/Team are welcome reading....just interested in what you've seen the last 5 years and what may or may not happen the next 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
                      Bingo. This guy (captain) is more or less the spokesman for your team. Sit him down at the end of his career? Huh? I had forgotten about Mushaluck. Here's someone with all the size to play at this level. With some on ice training you cant tell me his flaws couldnt be corrected ? What is this? And a captain as well...geezus.
                      Yeah I don't know. I would've played the kid on Senior Night. I think that's a no brainer.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                      43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                      104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                      3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                        To BOB F: A little off the topic but what is YOUR ASSESSMENT of the Maine Hockey program the last 5 years....and with that what do you think the next 3 years under a extended Whitehead will bring to the Maine Hockey Program..? I have no problem with any of your Posts as everyone has there thoughts and any and all comments on the Program/Coach/Team are welcome reading....just interested in what you've seen the last 5 years and what may or may not happen the next 3 years.
                        Just read my signature if you want his thoughts after LAST season.

Comment

Bear he is absolutely more qualified to state his opinion. Maybe I just look at it as a matter of character on his part. I pride myself on being fair, and try not to ever critique players publicly when they are at Maine, and even after they leave. But since Jeff went public on a social site I have no problem stating my opinion on his abilities. I supported him 100% when he played for Maine, now that he has stepped out to vocalize his opinions I harbor no guilt by speaking my mind.
                          So, now in addition to mentioning what you think of his limited ability as a hockey player (which has NOTHING to do with this discussion unless you are just trying to hurt his credibility in general), you also question his character? Did it ever occur to you that he is simply stating his opinion just as you feel free to state yours on various subjects and everyone else on this site has stated theirs? Honorable men CAN disagree without attempting to smear each others abilities or questioning their character. I HOPE you don't question that Marshall wants whatever is best for Maine hockey over the long term and he has every right to state his opinion about how best for the program to achieve success. He's had a much better look at the inner workings of the program and what it takes to succeed than the rest of us have. We need MORE insiders like him stating their opinions, not less of them, and for you to question his character for having the courage to do that is way out of line!

Comment

Please Fire Tim Whitehead on Facebook.......up to 146 supporters. Hopefully, we'll see 200 by the weekend!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=186978081078

Comment

Well maybe you should not use me as part of your signature. Jeff is not a kid he is a man. He has come out on the most popular social website to ask for the dismissal of his former coach. And I am not entitled to say he was a marginal player! So was Campbell Blair who ended up being in clothes on the bench with Walsh and not on the ice. Sorry for stating my opinion, when many of you have taken shots at the coach and not felt the least bit of guilt to send him packing.

I am not making judgements on his abilities or inabilities. Just stating that like with other professions if you have a problem with the boss, or former boss you take it up the chain of command and don't go public. Does not have to be everyones value system, but it is mine.

And with regards to not knowing more than the powers that be, stand by that. I have no idea with what is going on behind the scenes! AD, interim or not should certainly have a handle on quality control of the program. I will say that unlike other years this group of players has not quit on each other or the coach, but we all know thus far they have underachieved on the ice.

Diego, tend to have respect, even if we disagree, but I did not put Jeff in this, he did! As a result I harbored no reservations in expressing my opinion. Everyone has opinions about the players on our team, and don't have problems expressing them from time-to-time, the most reason case being Diamond. I have done the same with a player that last laced them up for Maine 3 years ago so if your disappointed I am sorry, but I won't retract my opinion.

get your bags packed mrs whitehead!
                              Maine Hockey

Shawn and Grant Built it

Tim Whitehead Ruined it

Comment

$1.5-$2 million............the amount that Whitehead has been paid to "coach" during the past decade.

Comment

Working...
                                X