Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    I don't see the PR issue as long as its not Tax Payers money. But if it was going to get done it would have happened last year. It ain't happening now we all know it but hope springs eternal

I really don't see how the current staff can continue the way they are, someone has to go to save face and it won't be TImmay.
    If I were a President, I'd think twice. Kind of makes it look like you're not running your own University. Like what if the rich NHL players don't like the new coach? Can they buy him out again? What if any of them feel like they didn't get their moneys worth, didn't have enough say in who was hired as the new coach? Colleges are all about soliticing big money but the situation in Maine...you can't use taxpayer money, so you'd have to explain that it's NHL money and that looks bad too. As you've said many times, they're phucked. We're stuck with him.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshot08 View Post
      I think everyone on this board needs a reality check. Timmay is here for at least 3 more years, no matter what.

1. He has a contract in place through the 2013-2014 season. http://new.bangordailynews.com/2010/...quos-contract/
      2. UMO is in no position to buy out his contract with the current state of the economy. It would create a PR nightmare for the school...this isn't Maryland football. http://athleticbusiness.com/editors/...lt.aspx?id=360
      3. The interim AD will not even consider this...he is only a 1-year steward of the athletic program, as mentioned above
      4. The new AD will [maybe] take over in September, take one year to assess the situation, 1 year to decide, then -- voila! - Timmay's in his last year.
      5. Benefactors decided a long time ago that the smart money should stop donating rather than buy him out (Alfond, King, etc.)
      6. Former players now in the NHL and with the collective money to buy him out don't think it is warranted (or don't care). Or they would have bought him out already.

It's time to hunker down for a long, painful, slow spiral downward....

Lake State, here we come!
      Everything you put down is hard to argue,NO you are pretty much RIGHT ON...and with the state of the Economy and with NO New President/AD in place until later this year,there is NO CHANCE of ridding TW from Maine Hockey going into the 2011-12 Season....but I wouldn't count that he's back after next season...you maybe surprised how the last 4 seasons and very much how this season has gone on that has opened alot of peoples eyes that NEVER ruffle anyones feathers....I still think there will be a change come 2012....

Comment

The funny thing about all this talk? I really think that most people here are under no illusions about Maine's ability to hire a coach with a proven track record.

I think if there were a clear plan to get the program back on track, there would be less frustration -- even if it wasn't working. What I have the hardest time wrapping my head around isn't so much that that the program is struggling. It's that the current regime seems to accept it as something beyond their control. Like the hockey program is a ship in stormy seas, and Whitehead is saying, Hey, don't look at me, I'm holding onto the wheel for dear life.

Where's the direction? What's the plan? At least start by admitting you aren't satisfied with the status quo.
        1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
          ....I still think there will be a change come 2012....
          Me too.

When revenues shrink enough.......all of a suddent it becomes more financially "feasible" to get rid of the dead weight.

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
            Where's the direction? What's the plan? At least start by admitting you aren't satisfied with the status quo.
            Why would "they" want to throw their friend and golf buddy under the bus??? The athletic dept. in Orono has gotten WAY too clanish/cliquish during the past decade!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
              Everything you put down is hard to argue,NO you are pretty much RIGHT ON...and with the state of the Economy and with NO New President/AD in place until later this year,there is NO CHANCE of ridding TW from Maine Hockey going into the 2011-12 Season....but I wouldn't count that he's back after next season...you maybe surprised how the last 4 seasons and very much how this season has gone on that has opened alot of peoples eyes that NEVER ruffle anyones feathers....I still think there will be a change come 2012....
              Yep, this thing will snowball real fast if theres no results on the ice imo. This year really has been an eye opener for a lot of people. Prior years you could justify lack of success on some factors maybe. I hear more and more people of the same opinion ---Timmays time is getting short. You cant effectively coach a team when you have zero support, especially from the fans, and the backlash from the fans will be much more intense than Timmay has ever experienced....if it continues going to chit, my guess is he wont like the negativity as lots of people close to the program will quickly tune him out. At his salary level in this state, he's got to produce on a consistent basis. Period.
              Last edited by acs64; 02-14-2011, 04:51 PM.
              I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

The funny thing about all this talk? I really think that most people here are under no illusions about Maine's ability to hire a coach with a proven track record.

I think if there were a clear plan to get the program back on track, there would be less frustration -- even if it wasn't working. What I have the hardest time wrapping my head around isn't so much that that the program is struggling. It's that the current regime seems to accept it as something beyond their control. Like the hockey program is a ship in stormy seas, and Whitehead is saying, Hey, don't look at me, I'm holding onto the wheel for dear life.

Thats the SCARY part...what are they seeing that you and I and anyone else that has been around this program for many years...I don't know about the rest of you...this is beyond Frustrating...

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
                  Yep, this thing will snowball real fast if theres no results on the ice imo. I hear more and more people of the same opinion ---Timmays time is getting short. You cant effectively coach a team when you have zero support, especially from the fans, and the backlash from the fans will be much more intense than Timmay has ever experienced....if it continues going to chit, my guess is he wont like the negativity as lots of people close to the program will quickly tune him out. At his salary level in this state, he's got to produce on a consistent basis. Period.
                  GREAT point.......if Mainers understand nothing else, they SURE know the value of a $dollar!

Join Please Fire Tim Whitehead on Facebook here........http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=186978081078

135 supporters and counting!

Comment

These should sell like hot cakes!........

*****http://assets1.customink.com/designs/proofs/kgr0-000h-a20x/front.jpg******

Comment

Yep, this thing will snowball real fast if theres no results on the ice imo.
                      WILL snowball? IF there's no results?? There are already no results. And -- in the fans eyes anyway -- it already has snowballed. And there hasn't been even ONE word from the administration that they even acknowledge that there's a problem, let alone that they even want or plan to address it.

This year really has been an eye opener for a lot of people. Prior years you could justify lack of success on some factors maybe. I hear more and more people of the same opinion ---Timmays time is getting short.
                      Who with any clout is saying his time is getting short? I haven't heard that yet outside of this board. I'm afraid this is just wishful thinking on the part of us internet nutcases

You cant effectively coach a team when you have zero support, especially from the fans, and the backlash from the fans will be much more intense than Timmay has ever experienced....
                      I'm really not trying to be negative here, just realistic. Each of the teams below has average attendance at less than 50% capacity this year (2 are in Hockey East). Hardly any coaching changes among them, so lots of programs with no fan support where the coaches just linger. Cahoon and Cronin aren't going anywhere....medicority and decliining revenues are more acceptable than you think, even at Maine [now].

Team Dates Avg. Attendance Capacity % Cap.

American Int'l 11 169 1,200 14
                      Alabama-Huntsville 10 1158 6,800 17
                      Ohio State 13 4074 17,500 23.3
                      Bentley 10 321 1,200 26.8
                      Sacred Heart 14 357 1,000 35.7
                      Canisius 13 685 1,800 38
                      Colgate 10 1070 2,600 41.2
                      Mercyhurst 15 638 1,500 42.5
                      Massachusetts 12 3613 8,373 43.2
                      Bowling Green 14 2165 5,000 43.3
                      Northeastern 15 2126 4,666 45.6
                      Nebraska-Omaha 16 7777 16,680 46.6

if it continues going to chit, my guess is he wont like the negativity as lots of people close to the program will quickly tune him out.
                      If he cared what people thought of him, he would have left years ago. He's as blind to fans' perceptions as he is to the way to win games

At his salary level in this state, he's got to produce on a consistent basis. Period.
                      No argument here. Just not sure our views are shared with the dopes that make that decision
                      Last edited by Slapshot08; 02-14-2011, 05:54 PM.

Comment

They just signed him to a 3 year extension, you actually think the administration is going to throw him and therefore themselves under the bus?. Stupid move on there part to show no confidence publicly at this point especially when they are powerless to do anything about it. One coach goes away, thats the big deal this offseason, the move that makes every thing better.
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Lowell may suck but they will play on Friday and Saturday. F Maine.
                          Let's go Lowell.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            I don't see the PR issue as long as its not Tax Payers money. But if it was going to get done it would have happened last year. It ain't happening now we all know it but hope springs eternal

I really don't see how the current staff can continue the way they are, someone has to go to save face and it won't be TImmay.
                            And like I said, I fear it's gonna be Corkum. He may be somewhat ready to go as it is, if he's sick and tired of TIMMAY's crap, and it probably won't take too much of a push, or a stab in the back, to make it a done deal. Which is too bad, because one of the things I see that I assume he brought to the team is how much better they are on faceoffs. Before he got here, and during his first season, this team was absolutly horrid on faceoffs, and then a week ago, they just schooled UHN in that department.
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

But it's just dumb luck. The flutter of a puck here, a carom off the boards there, and the situation would be so much different. It's the whims of fate, and how can mere mortals be expected to change them? No, you just meekly accept that they've happened, keep on doing what you've been doing, and hope that things will get better down the road.
                              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                                But it's just dumb luck. The flutter of a puck here, a carom off the boards there, and the situation would be so much different. It's the whims of fate, and how can mere mortals be expected to change them? No, you just meekly accept that they've happened, keep on doing what you've been doing, and hope that things will get better down the road.
                                You're right. You coach success. You exhude success. Tim just does not....again, he'd be a terrific D3 coach.
                                I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X