Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
    Timmay needs to go. I would definitely take a chance on Jim. I saw him at a pre-game prep rally in Milwaukee, he still bleeds blue and white
    I gave up my season tickets 2 years ago and only occasionally go to games now (a couple of hours before the game last Saturday night I had 4 very good mid ice third row tickets given to me and just couldn't get excited enough about the game to bother going, and nobody else I knew wanted them either), but if Montgomery/Grant replaced Whitehead I'd immediately apply to get season tickets again, even before they played a single game with him on the bench.

Comment

Has anyone seen the interim AD even quoted on any of the coaches up there? Even to give a tepid statement of support or anything? Not just Whitehead either, Blodgett is clearly a failure.

Comment

Wilson > Sirman

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
          Wilson > Sirman
          I agree, give me Willie any day. Sirman looks alot better than last year but he still makes me nervous. When he gets a floppin, watch out. But I'd start him Friday and from there on out. Someone has to be #1 and unless Sully was just rusty he looked awful on Friday. It all points to lack of development by the so called goalie coach. These guys aren't improving very much if any.
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
            Has anyone seen the interim AD even quoted on any of the coaches up there? Even to give a tepid statement of support or anything? Not just Whitehead either, Blodgett is clearly a failure.
            Steve is there to hold down the fort, his whole family are lifelong UMaine fans, he isn't going to rock the boat. He's there to have a familar face as AD and to hopefully keep the donations coming. Tough spot of you ask me. I 'll guarantee he bleeds black bear blue, he been around Orono his whole life.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              Steve is there to hold down the fort, his whole family are lifelong UMaine fans, he isn't going to rock the boat. He's there to have a familar face as AD and to hopefully keep the donations coming. Tough spot of you ask me. I 'll guarantee he bleeds black bear blue, he been around Orono his whole life.
              He better be more than a steward! While I realize that he can't/won't make any decisions to get rid of coaches.........he BETTER be upfront and honest about the ENTIRE situation of each program with the new AD!!! That would include a rundown of records of these coaches, the contract extensions and the dropping revenues due to athletic dept. mis-management.

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
                He better be more than a steward! While I realize that he can't/won't make any decisions to get rid of coaches.........he BETTER be upfront and honest about the ENTIRE situation of each program with the new AD!!! That would include a rundown of records of these coaches, the contract extensions and the dropping revenues due to athletic dept. mis-management.
                Right, but there is absolutely no way that a new AD will be in before the next school year, is my point. Unless he resigns, Whitehead is here for at least one more year.

Comment

Right, but there is absolutely no way that a new AD will be in before the next school year, is my point. Unless he resigns, Whitehead is here for at least one more year.
                  I think everyone on this board needs a reality check. Timmay is here for at least 3 more years, no matter what.

1. He has a contract in place through the 2013-2014 season. http://new.bangordailynews.com/2010/...quos-contract/
                  2. UMO is in no position to buy out his contract with the current state of the economy. It would create a PR nightmare for the school...this isn't Maryland football. http://athleticbusiness.com/editors/...lt.aspx?id=360
                  3. The interim AD will not even consider this...he is only a 1-year steward of the athletic program, as mentioned above
                  4. The new AD will [maybe] take over in September, take one year to assess the situation, 1 year to decide, then -- voila! - Timmay's in his last year.
                  5. Benefactors decided a long time ago that the smart money should stop donating rather than buy him out (Alfond, King, etc.)
                  6. Former players now in the NHL and with the collective money to buy him out don't think it is warranted (or don't care). Or they would have bought him out already.

It's time to hunker down for a long, painful, slow spiral downward....

Lake State, here we come!

Comment

Oh, I agree with you........but that doesn't excuse Abbott from his RESPONSIBILITY. Afterall, he is being paid $150K to "steward" this athletic dept. I think that entails more than shaking hands at football games and smiling for the cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshot08 View Post
                      I think everyone on this board needs a reality check. Timmay is here for at least 3 more years, no matter what.
                      Yeah.....right. OK, non-Maine fan........

Comment

)
                        6. Former players now in the NHL and with the collective money to buy him out don't think it is warranted (or don't care). Or they would have bought him out already.
                        The president won't allow it, it was a done deal from what I heard

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
                          Yeah.....right. OK, non-Maine fan........
                          Actually, I'm a big Maine fan...have been for a long time. Had a nephew that played there back in the glory days, so hate seeing what's happening there as much as anyone here. But tell me why any of those things aren't true. I'd like to believe he's gone sooner, but I just don't see how that's possible given everything I mentioned.

And looking forward, I really don't think that guys from the Hill School and Boston Advantage are going to save this program. Dennehy's picked up where Shawn and Grant left off....travel to the outer reaches of Saskatchewan and Alberta (or France!) and find the hidden gems. A Nyquist every 6 years isn't going to save this program.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            The president won't allow it, it was a done deal from what I heard
                            Doesn't surprise me one bit. Goes back to the PR nightmare it would create....Kennedy knows better...and so will the new President

Comment

Doesn't surprise me one bit. Goes back to the PR nightmare it would create....Kennedy knows better...and so will the new President
                              I don't see the PR issue as long as its not Tax Payers money. But if it was going to get done it would have happened last year. It ain't happening now we all know it but hope springs eternal

I really don't see how the current staff can continue the way they are, someone has to go to save face and it won't be TImmay.

Comment

Only thing I would add to this is, if Mane gets Monty, Grant can't come with him. To my knowledge the NCAA had rules about assistant coaches, the number permitted and etc. Unless he takes the full time volunteer assistant job, which seems unlikely at his age and 3 years from now, I don't know how much contact he's permitted to have with the players anyhow.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Working...
                                X